Waning interest in C&R's ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Fortunately we are still able to do so, had things not worked out in "our" way I bet you could have traded that case of pmags for several Mausers.

Meanwhile the same bottom of the bucket peened Mauser that was run over by a KettenKrad is still on the shelf.

Oh, well I hope to trade them for cash for $12.50 at a time... $14.50 for windowed.

Anyway, I loved the time I had my C&R, but like others said, cheaper rifles have dried up. I would buy say 5 mosins and ask for a super nice one as a collectors item and usually I would get something nice, and I slowly traded and sold off the others. I just don't have time for C&R unless it is Full auto or going to find a permanent home in my collection.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Why wouldn't they all find a home in your collection? I have regretted the sale of every gun I have sold. Meager short-term gains for a permanent and irreplaceable loss. Never again will I sell my guns unless the wolf is at the door. The same goes for my ammo. I'm not a cold, dead fingers sort of guy, but damn it! The whole reason I bought those things was to hold them. The profit on guns is too small to justify the permanent loss of such beautiful works of man. For trust me when I say you will NEVER see them again at such prices.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Why wouldn't they all find a home in your collection? I have regretted the sale of every gun I have sold. Meager short-term gains for a permanent and irreplaceable loss. Never again will I sell my guns unless the wolf is at the door. The same goes for my ammo. I'm not a cold, dead fingers sort of guy, but damn it! The whole reason I bought those things was to hold them. The profit on guns is too small to justify the permanent loss of such beautiful works of man. For trust me when I say you will NEVER see them again at such prices.

Well, I couldn't run a gun store if I wasn't willing to part with guns. Trust me, 1/2 of the counter at my store I would like to take home with me.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Well, I couldn't run a gun store if I wasn't willing to part with guns. Trust me, 1/2 of the counter at my store I would like to take home with me.

Oh what a terrible way to make a living. You must feel sadness every time you make a sale! I'm not sure I could be successful doing that. Specially the C&Rs. They're gone forever now, so we'll never get a chance to buy that SMLE we missed back in the day, but how much worse must it be to have SOLD it after getting that great deal? Best wishes my friend. You have more will-power than I ever will.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I think the waning interest is due to the lack of affordable pieces out there. The only thing out there affordable and in numbers that I've seen are Nagants which I am not enamored with. I wish I had picked up the c&r bug a few years earlier when German 98 Mausers were cheap and plentiful.

bonewagon

Carbon Sasquatch
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Jeff Davis Parish
    Well I have been bit by the WWII firearm bug lately. So my interest is high in certain varieties. I have a listing at present looking for an Enfield SMLE No.1 MK3. Am meeting up tomorrow to purchase one from a member here. I will also be looking for another sporterized SMLE to "rescue" or one "ready to go". Picked up a couple of Enfield No.2 MK1* top break revolvers a couple of weeks ago and they are as much fun to look at as to shoot. I think that interest cycles somewhat. In the 70's I had a 1903A3 and a sporterized SMLE and foolishly got rid of them. Like all my firearms sales, mostly I regret doing it. Anyway, hopefully some members will let go of a few Enfields or Mausers or ..... in their collection so some of us can play with them now.

Later and have a good weekend. Mine is looking up.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Met a collector a few years back that had over 100 Russian capture 98 Mausers. What I wouldn't give to look through that forest of wood and steel. I do hope to find an affordable no4 mk2 someday as well though.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I know a collector that has way more Mosin Nagants and everything else than anyone but the Ukraine. Everywhere you look in his house there are rifles stacked. For his security I won't say anything more than that.

Dave

Doug76

Road Warrior
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Southshore
    I've noticed that since the most recent gun/ammo shortage and subsequent hysteria , there seems to have been a noticeable decline in C&R discussion here . Am I wrong ? I'll admit my interest has cooled a bit but I attribute that to just a change in my own direction.

I think the interest has cooled in proportion to the prices going up. At least that has cooled it for me.
    Would like another SKS, but they're too high now, and harder to find.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I already got everything that was available that I wanted. The big benefit to having a C&R wasn't just the guns. It was the cheap ammo. Now Century isn't selling the surplus stuff, so there's not much point in keeping up the license. As it stands I have all the ammo I'll be able to shoot in the next 30 years, and after that I'll be dead.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Being retired I am not financially able to purchase more than 300,000 rounds of ammunition.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I would have bought that much but I'll be moving sometime in the next 10 years and don't want to rent a forklift when I do.

As someone currently going through a move to another state, well after becoming a 'gun nut' - yea, this part of it.... it's.... it's not awesome :(

Garandimal

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll just leave this right here...

garandflag03vote.jpg

GR

Rgates

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    So, with the shortage of C&R firearms, would anyone be interested in original Japanese military rifles and pistol? I have several and would like to concentrate my focus on Enfields or other military rifles. Will post for sale if any interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom