Watches, watches and more watches

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    uta2u5e2.jpg

My black monster currently on my wrist.

I have another Seiko automatic and 2 Casios. One analog diver on a band that cost three times what the watch did and a G-shock.

First time I've ever seen that dial on a Monster before. How long have you had it and where did you pick it up. I really like those markers!

Last edited:

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    Question for those in the know .I don't wear a watch due to circulation in left arm/hand . Does anyone know if a right handed watch exist with a stem pointed outward ? I have been looking in all the wrong places as I haven't seen one anywhere . BTW; I am not looking for a special order or expensive watch . Thanks in advance .

I'm a lefty and wear watches on my right wrist. Never a problem.. The adjustment knob doesn't jab into my hand that way.

No one makes a left handed watch. Really no reason to.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    I think a Rolex wearer looking for a knockabout watch would enjoy the SKX007 from Seiko.. Automatic. Super build quality. Shipped from overseas for about 2 hundred. Look on Amazon or eBay.

Perfect everyday carry watch.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    Not a collector but I am interested in the Citizen ecodrive -- how long have they been on the market and how have they performed? I've got several watches (nothing special, all <$400) and it seems there's always one needing a new battery. I made the mistake of letting a lady at the mall J.C. Penney jewelry counter attempt to change the battery on a Bulova -- she broke the crystal, had to send it off for repair, finally got it back a couple of weeks later -- won't make that mistake again...

As for a daily-wear watch that "takes a licking and keeps on ticking" I've been happy with my $50 Timex Expedition.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    Not a collector but I am interested in the Citizen ecodrive -- how long have they been on the market and how have they performed? I've got several watches (nothing special, all <$400) and it seems there's always one needing a new battery. I made the mistake of letting a lady at the mall J.C. Penney jewelry counter attempt to change the battery on a Bulova -- she broke the crystal, had to send it off for repair, finally got it back a couple of weeks later -- won't make that mistake again...

As for a daily-wear watch that "takes a licking and keeps on ticking" I've been happy with my $50 Timex Expedition.

Ecodrives came out in mid 90s. I have had many different models and they have NEVER malfunctioned. They are built very well.

The Pro Dive watches are ISO rated for commercial diving.
    My mother in law is a Citizen watch dealer and had given me most of the ones I have.

They are accurate to a couple seconds a month.

One thing to remember about ecodrive watches is not to store them in a drawer for long periods of time. Leave them out on your dresser or a shelf where they can get at least a little bit of light.

Some of the models will stop ticking when not exposed to light but still keep time (to conserve battery).. They will begin ticking again when exposed to enough light (they automatically advance to the correct second at that point)

An inexpensive ISO rated Dive watch is this one:

http://www.google.com/search?q=citizen+bn0000-04h&hl=en-US&source=android-browser&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=L5UtU4PIMIWnqQGW4IHwDA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAA&biw=360&bih=615#spd=3997543753003169484

I've had it a couple years and it runs about 3,seconds fast per month. The numbers glow throughout the night too.
    Very tight.. I swim and shower with it (rarely take it off).
    Waterproof to 300 meters.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    IMG_20140322_085813646_zpsuikzz6pj.jpg

The old diver with black strap is the only Citizen Quartz I have .. Its an early 90s ProMaster. Its had three or four battery changes but works flawlessly. I usually wear this to work.

The one in the Bond style strap is my newer Pro Diver EcoDrive.

The one on the top left is an expensive EcoDrive from the Signature line. They are hand built ecodrives with premium bracelets, sapphire crystal, higher grade stainless steel bodies, etc. I usually wear it on weekends or when going out at night.

The other two at the top right are ecodrives as well. The lower one is mid 90s era .. A dressy diver style (w/ titanium body and bracelet). The one at top right is a recent gift from the mother in law. It's also an Ecodrive diver but not ISO rated.

I'm saving for a gently used Seamaster (my dream watch). :)

Next purchase will likely be the Marathon GSAR.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Nice watch for under 40 bucks.. How has it held up? Does it do well in pools/beach? Bath/shower?

I do t bathe or sleep with watches. It's held up fine for everything I've done with it. Baseball, billiards, building random ****, and working at my desk. I've not gone swimming with it, but it's a 200M water resistant Casio. I doubt it would have a problem.

It comes on a rubber strap. I despise rubber straps, so a new bracelet was in order.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I've had several Seiko Monsters. I'd rather wear one of my Rolexes. The Seiko Monster is one heavy watch.

If I'm not wearing a Rolex, I'll wear a Solar Atomic G Shock 5600 on a Maratac Zulu band.

JR1572

corey d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Louisiana
    Y'all like the Luminox watches? I have been considering getting the Blackout watch they make (with the metal wristband) as a sport watch that can be worn to work with dressier clothes or with jeans and a tshirt. Anyone have any experience with them? Worth the 4-600?

Ive had a couple of the "navy seal" ones that i wasn't overly impressed with. My cousin has been having one of the all metal ones for a long time, and its still running.

Last edited:

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Y'all like the Luminox watches? I have been considering getting the Blackout watch they make (with the metal wristband) as a sport watch that can be worn to work with dressier clothes or with jeans and a tshirt. Anyone have any experience with them? Worth the 4-600?

I haven't owned a Luminox but if you want something with the tritium tubes and semi dressy there's some Ball watches that can be had second hand for $600ish.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I've had several Seiko Monsters. I'd rather wear one of my Rolexes. The Seiko Monster is one heavy watch.

If I'm not wearing a Rolex, I'll wear a Solar Atomic G Shock 5600 on a Maratac Zulu band.

JR1572

If I could justify $7500 on a watch, I'd own a Rolex too.

Top Bottom