What do you look for in a classified ad?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. That sort of gets back to the OP. Making offers is one thing, making absurd low ball offers should be bannable offense.

But that's subjective. What a seller views as an absurd lowball price might actually be close to fair market value for the used item being sold.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Someone offering $140 for a complete rifle that retails for $1000+ is absurd.

On its face, I would agree with your statement. But, you and Perez are both right! Look at the current market on crude oil. They will pay you to take some!?!

As $hitty as it sounds, you just never know what a person's lowest threshold is or what their circumstances are; particularly if you have money and they don't!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    On its face, I would agree with your statement. But, you and Perez are both right! Look at the current market on crude oil. They will pay you to take some!?!

As $hitty as it sounds, you just never know what a person's lowest threshold is or what their circumstances are; particularly if you have money and they don't!

#SupplyAndDemand

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

I’m not disagreeing with you or Perez, but if someone wants $1000 for something worth $10, offering them $10 is absurd. Them asking $1000 is also absurd, but wasting time with the seller itself is a fruitless effort.

It’s no different than someone stating they are not willing to travel and someone getting pissy that they won’t travel an hour to meet up.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I’m not disagreeing with you or Perez, but if someone wants $1000 for something worth $10, offering them $10 is absurd. Them asking $1000 is also absurd, but wasting time with the seller itself is a fruitless effort.

It’s no different than someone stating they are not willing to travel and someone getting pissy that they won’t travel an hour to meet up.

--> Thanks, but $10 is too low of an offer. I'd be willing to go $700, though. Let me know if that works for you. (now it's the buyer's turn to agree, counteroffer or disappear)

Look how easy that was, guys. The level of crotchety-ness around here is astounding sometimes.:dogkeke:

Last edited:

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA

Traveling for me is not a big deal. People should be more positive and travel more. When I drive 2-3 hours to the Lafayette or Lake Charles area for a gun deal, I look at it positively. I can stop by Scott, LA at the Best Stop and buy 30 pounds of their famous Boudin and Cracklins. Or, I can also drop by Lafayette's Barneys and rent sub-machine guns, shoot, and relax. Lots of things to see and do in Louisiana. So think positively, especially when someone is selling a LNIB Glock 19 Gen 5 for $350 or a Sig Sauer P226 9mm for $400.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    --> Thanks, but $10 is too low of an offer. I'd be willing to go $700, though. Let me know if that works for you. (now it's the buyer's turn to agree, counteroffer or disappear)

Look how easy that was, guys. The level of crotchety-ness around here is astounding sometimes.:dogkeke:

The usual response to that reply is "LOL YEA RIGHT, IT AIN'T WORTH THAT"

But in reality, when someone offers a fair price for someone asking an absurd price the reply is typically "**** off! I know what I got!"

Traveling for me is not a big deal. People should be more positive and travel more. When I drive 2-3 hours to the Lafayette or Lake Charles area for a gun deal, I look at it positively. I can stop by Scott, LA at the Best Stop and buy 30 pounds of their famous Boudin and Cracklins. Or, I can also drop by Lafayette's Barneys and rent sub-machine guns, shoot, and relax. Lots of things to see and do in Louisiana. So think positively, especially when someone is selling a LNIB Glock 19 Gen 5 for $350 or a Sig Sauer P226 9mm for $400.

I'm very positive. I'm positive that I do not want to meet people for trivial items. Firearms sales almost have to be FTF if the parties are not willing to accept shipping.

When you drive 2-3 hours to make a gun deal, do you factor in your time and fuel costs?

And you must not pay attention. Nobody on BS sells a Gen 5 Glock for $350. That gun is listed $850 FIRM.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Err,Better stick with the boudin plan,Last trip to Barneys the indoor range waz shut-down....

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    At least a year ago,Unless that's changed? When I checked the employees said the owner walked in and said close it down,Something perhaps by the EPA and lead particles.

Best call ahead first !!!

Wow, okay I guess it has been a while. I remember they had a full auto MP5, full auto Kriss Vector, full auto UZI, full auto M16. Time flies when you're having fun I guess.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I look for a good item that is a good deal.

Traveling is a factor. Members in BR and the Northshore shouldn't have to that much. Others it depends. There are plenty of good deals that are decent but not worth for me to drive hours away. For other people, that might be ok. If you have a good item at a good price, people will come to you. If your deal isn't that great or the market is small, that is usually when people want to meet up.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Someone offering $140 for a complete rifle that retails for $1000+ is absurd.

Without any other information, offering $140 for a $1000+ rifle is absurd.

Nobody on BS sells a Gen 5 Glock for $350. That gun is listed $850 FIRM.

This is what I'm talking about. A number of Glocks being sold on here are priced too high. Used Glocks being listed for close to new Glock prices. To me, used, when it comes to guns, generally means it's a personal gun and the seller isn't a retailer with an FFL. At that point, 80% of new is a reasonable price. So if an item has been listed for a while and isn't selling, an offer of 75% of the new price for the used gun isn't absurd. But the seller would likely complain it was a lowball offer because his asking price was obviously too high.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Without any other information, offering $140 for a $1000+ rifle is absurd.

This is what I'm talking about. A number of Glocks being sold on here are priced too high. Used Glocks being listed for close to new Glock prices. To me, used, when it comes to guns, generally means it's a personal gun and the seller isn't a retailer with an FFL. At that point, 80% of new is a reasonable price. So if an item has been listed for a while and isn't selling, an offer of 75% of the new price for the used gun isn't absurd. But the seller would likely complain it was a lowball offer because his asking price was obviously too high.

I won't buy a used gun unless it's for at least 33% of the lowest sale price of the item brand new.

If a pistol retails for $400 (pre-tax), the most I'd consider paying for it, used, is around $300. Generally I want at least 40% off, otherwise it's less risk and easier for me to get it brand new.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    location in the ad is very important, ive passed on several guns because the item is too far to drive reasonably.

also accurate specs. listing the model, and accessories is great, but having the cartridge its chambered in, barrel length, and guesstimate of round count is more important.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

For some reason, people in the firearms community feel the need to tell someone their price is too high. In the car community, people just laugh and ignore it.

If someone lists their used Glock 22 for $850, let that thread rot. Don't even bother.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    location in the ad is very important, ive passed on several guns because the item is too far to drive reasonably.

also accurate specs. listing the model, and accessories is great, but having the cartridge its chambered in, barrel length, and guesstimate of round count is more important.

Re port the ad. It iis a,requirement that the location be in discription or in the sellers info.
    Oo maybe it is the format you are using to view the forum as well.

Top Bottom