What do you look for in a classified ad?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    DtE0iNlX4AIHixR.jpg

Don't forget that he will finish any opponent in two swings of the katana(any more and he will be too exhausted from lack of cardio)

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Still not the strangest trade I've been offered. Apparently some people had the revelation that guns are more useful than their fantasy card game collection.

A guy I work with has a Magic the Gathering collection that's worth over $20k. Not even joking. And I thought my brother was something special selling his baseball card collection for $300 back in the 90s to buy a Sega Genesis.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    A guy I work with has a Magic the Gathering collection that's worth over $20k. Not even joking. And I thought my brother was something special selling his baseball card collection for $300 back in the 90s to buy a Sega Genesis.

Everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. That sort of gets back to the OP. Making offers is one thing, making absurd low ball offers should be bannable offense.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. That sort of gets back to the OP. Making offers is one thing, making absurd low ball offers should be bannable offense.

I don't know about that. Sometimes people really want items gone. For example, I've seen people have $1600 DDs sell them for 500-700 bucks because they were in a bind and needed cash fast.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I look for good pictures, good price, and a short but sweet description. Have no problems sending PMs but always seem to be at my 100 limit between the inbox and sent box. Lots of people have a short attention span though and have trouble reading even the shortest of descriptions :(

I will say my one pet peeve is that I absolutely hate when someone will waste time with a "still available" message. If you're interested, make an offer and include some details rather than just those two words. It's much more useful to read "Hey I'm interested, will you take $XX and meet in XX if it's still available?" Really does it take that much longer than just typing a useless two word message?

Welcome to the new world of laziness and general discourteousness! I will NEVER understand why people (today), will not answer emails, texts, or PM's. It's just general good manners, and only takes a damn minute.

When I buy anything, I will PM the seller my cell number (encrypted), and my surname, and ask they call me. If I don't hear from the seller within a day or two, they can lose my number. Bottom line for me is, if you are expecting me to buy your item, you can expect to talk to me in person. That's when the rubber hits the road and the details are set! ;)

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Ads should state no shipping if not willing to ship.
    I am not sore about it. But offered a member here a money order, or check they could cash and hold the item till it was a done deal.
    Pay more then they asked if they eouk ship. No deal. It was for sale 60 days before I did so and at least 30 after.
    As fas,as what else I look at is how the person acts here the rest of the time. If they act as a Bully or Troll or plain AzzHat I do not care to buy from them at any price.
    I have never had a bad buy so far

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I have had many many good transactions on here. Only one or two that for one reason or another didn't work out like planned.

There really is no template for any of it. Each person, each item and each circumstances are different. Some can articulate their intentions better than others and some are just not as computer savvy. The gun world is full of different walks of life.

I have a code that I go by but understand that other's may vary. I just try to be respectful to everyone and their messages or whatever and if it turns out to be something both parties want to move forward good.....if not, well that is okay also.

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    I’m looking for the basic stuff - good pics to tell condition, sufficient details about the item, price and/or trade, seller’s location, meeting location(s), and willingness to ship.

It doesn’t have to be a novel since the finer details can/will be worked out in PM, but if the details are wholly lacking I’m likely to just move on.

Had one sketchy deal on here that I reported to the admins. The guy was selling stuff here and LA Sportsman...thankfully he’s banned from here.

All other face to face and mail orders (just one) have been great.

Turn-offs:
    * statements that the item is going back in the safe in X days in order to pressure a sale
    * potential buyer replying to the post saying PM me. If the potential buyer is interested why can’t he/she initiate the PM? That shows a lack of interest to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Not that you asked. But it is in fact the sellers item 100 PERCENT untill cash or trade is done!
    Just like an FLL they have the option to refuse a sale for any reason period.
    Also Members getting pissed that they sold to someone else is silly.
    That is not the same as agreeing to meet and being a no show.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Welcome to the new world of laziness and general discourteousness! I will NEVER understand why people (today), will not answer emails, texts, or PM's. It's just general good manners, and only takes a damn minute.

When I buy anything, I will PM the seller my cell number (encrypted), and my surname, and ask they call me. If I don't hear from the seller within a day or two, they can lose my number. Bottom line for me is, if you are expecting me to buy your item, you can expect to talk to me in person. That's when the rubber hits the road and the details are set! ;)

How are you encrypting your cell number?

I'm all for talking to people, but I won't make a firearm sale where I don't PM back and forth here a bit, first, for record purposes. If I'm buying smaller items, I'm cool texting about it, but for firearms or more expensive items, I want as much of a paper trail as possible.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Perhaps I used the wrong term?!? I meant half-ass scrambled with words and numbers. :mamoru:

Oh, lol. I'm not sure that matters over PM. If a bot has gone so far as to make an account and send PMs, it'll definitely get through scrambled phone numbers haha

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Not that you asked. But it is in fact the sellers item 100 PERCENT untill cash or trade is done!

For once, I actually agree with you.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I agree. I had one potential buyer get irate and report me for not selling to him after I agreed and then he said it would be a week before he could meet. That’s reason enough for me to sell to the next guy who’s ready today. On the other hand, if I plan a sale tomorrow and somebody offers me more money today I’ll let them know they’ll have to wait til tomorrow and see if the first guy backs out. I’ve only had one guy back out of a sale.
    As far as any ad on the site, as long as the site rules are followed, I don’t see any problems or issues that couldn’t be ironed out between buyer and seller via PM or text/call. Nothing to fix in my opinion. The site works great as is. The feedback system here is a great tool. I do include where I’m able to meet even though I list my location with my avatar, but that gives people a better idea of how they can plan a meet.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    How are you encrypting your cell number?

I'm all for talking to people, but I won't make a firearm sale where I don't PM back and forth here a bit, first, for record purposes. If I'm buying smaller items, I'm cool texting about it, but for firearms or more expensive items, I want as much of a paper trail as possible.

The next PM I get from someone that says "Hey, I'm Phil. Call me 555-5555" I'm going to post their phone number on Craig's List as a Male looking for Male relationship ad.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Oh, lol. I'm not sure that matters over PM. If a bot has gone so far as to make an account and send PMs, it'll definitely get through scrambled phone numbers haha

Maybe I do it to see if my seller is retarded or not!?!

If he/she can't figure out my scrambled phone number, I may not want to meet them after all! :mamoru:

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    People scrambling their phone numbers does not work.
    Search engines can easily decode them.

Five oh 4 is not a code.

Don’t fool yourselves, this does not protect your identity.

Top Bottom