What do you look for in a classified ad?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    For some reason, people in the firearms community feel the need to tell someone their price is too high. In the car community, people just laugh and ignore it.

If someone lists their used Glock 22 for $850, let that thread rot. Don't even bother.

I generally don't say anything unless it's in a thread where mentioning such things is on topic. If I can spend about the same price and get a new gun and I'm not a prohibited person, why would I take a chance of a used gun that I don't know how it's been treated? So that's what I look for with an ad for a weapon. A used price on a used gun.

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    Man y’all should try used bicycles if you think guns are bad. I’ve had two bicycles listed on letgo for about 4 mos. They’re $1000 (legit) made in USA cannondales. Finally sold the wife’s for $25 less than listed price at $400. Mine is listed at $450 and I keep getting “I’ll give ya $125” or “would you take 275 cash today but i wanna ride it first”. Umm no, also no, and no... had one guy try to show me a screenshot of bicycle blue book’s value for the bicycle with a Colorado zip code. When we got really hard up for cash a couple years back after the wife lost her job from the flood, thankfully folks weren’t so stingy about me having to clear out the gun safe to keep the mortgage paid... but apparently folks want a barely used bicycle for basically aluminum scrap value...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    For some reason, people in the firearms community feel the need to tell someone their price is too high. In the car community, people just laugh and ignore it.

If someone lists their used Glock 22 for $850, let that thread rot. Don't even bother.

I remember a while ago someone listed a used Glock 19 higher than the new price. People asked him why he had it priced so high and he said "it's broken in". He was adding the cost of the ammo he fired in it to the cost of the pistol b/c the buyer wouldn't have to. Think replies were turned off in the classifieds shortly after that :mamoru:

Man y’all should try used bicycles if you think guns are bad. I’ve had two bicycles listed on letgo for about 4 mos. They’re $1000 (legit) made in USA cannondales. Finally sold the wife’s for $25 less than listed price at $400. Mine is listed at $450 and I keep getting *I’ll give ya $125* or *would you take 275 cash today but i wanna ride it first*. Umm no, also no, and no... had one guy try to show me a screenshot of bicycle blue book’s value for the bicycle with a Colorado zip code. When we got really hard up for cash a couple years back after the wife lost her job from the flood, thankfully folks weren’t so stingy about me having to clear out the gun safe to keep the mortgage paid... but apparently folks want a barely used bicycle for basically aluminum scrap value...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the problem with bicycles is regular people don't know what a quality bike worth. You go to Walmart and buy a bicycle for $125 and that's what most people think they cost. They don't realize how much a quality bike costs and why it's worth it if you ride a lot.

Last edited:

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    As for me, I won't travel more than 30 miles to sell a gun in Hammond or at Cabela's (which is about as close as I ever want to get to New Orleans). I also expect to talk to whoever over the phone before I do any traveling with texts beforehand outlining the deal. In my experience, if people want you to travel greater than 30 miles, they will proceed to haggle with you once you get there even though the original price was negotiated before traveling. They seem to see it as you're desperate for the money for the gun to travel that far to sell it and they can then lower the offer once you get there using their best Pawnshop voice. Not going to happen on my watch. That's why I'll meet at Academy in Hammond or Cabelas so I can say no to their lower price offer and then proceed to go shopping at the store or look at the stuffed animals at Cabelas.

Asking $XXX to me means they are possibly open to ballpark offers within $50 of the asking price but usually in their mind means -- FIRM. Also, my momma done tole me, You can't start low on a price and then work your way back high. You have to add something extra to the original price to allow for the discount factor. They want that $600 Glock but only at $500 and then they got a deal.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I generally don't say anything unless it's in a thread where mentioning such things is on topic. If I can spend about the same price and get a new gun and I'm not a prohibited person, why would I take a chance of a used gun that I don't know how it's been treated? So that's what I look for with an ad for a weapon. A used price on a used gun.

So you agree.

I remember a while ago someone listed a used Glock 19 higher than the new price. People asked him why he had it priced so high and he said "it's broken in". He was adding the cost of the ammo he fired in it to the cost of the pistol b/c the buyer wouldn't have to. Think replies were turned off in the classifieds shortly after that :mamoru:

I remember fighting the powers that be to allow comments to return to the classifieds.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Good pictures are a must.

Price is negotiable, always. This is not walmart.

If you or I want to make an offer, go for it. If it is too low, just reply back that it is too low. If I want to hurt your feelings I certainly won't bother trying with an offer. Being polite is a lost cause these days.

I feel like most people are too combative these days. If I ask a question I just want an answer, no need to read into something that is not there.

Location and travel desires are best listed in the sale ad, for clarity sake.

Humor is always appreciated by me, but I have a good sense of it. Not so sure about everyone else.

Bullsit remarks like "low ballers will be ignored" and "don't waste my time" usually indicate the level of the seller. Hard pass on those blow hards.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I won't buy a used gun unless it's for at least 33% of the lowest sale price of the item brand new.

If a pistol retails for $400 (pre-tax), the most I'd consider paying for it, used, is around $300. Generally I want at least 40% off, otherwise it's less risk and easier for me to get it brand new.

I agree used anything takes a hard price cut, if I want to pay full price I want to be its first. :D

I’ve never bought a gun here because of the prices. I’m not gonna waste my time with someone who clearly thinks there stuff is worth way more than I do. I’ve bought some gun parts and what-nots, and got quality stuff for a good price.

Also I find people selling things in general try to recoup the cost of accessories and mods. Basic mods and accessories should add no real value to an item. If you’ve created something special through extensive and costly modifications then sure but, new rims and tires, one or two extra mags, salt life stickers, a holster, while sometimes nice carry little monetary value with me, particularly if you are $50 or more higher than Buds guns.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I agree used anything takes a hard price cut, if I want to pay full price I want to be its first. :D

I’ve never bought a gun here because of the prices. I’m not gonna waste my time with someone who clearly thinks there stuff is worth way more than I do. I’ve bought some gun parts and what-nots, and got quality stuff for a good price.

Also I find people selling things in general try to recoup the cost of accessories and mods. Basic mods and accessories should add no real value to an item. If you’ve created something special through extensive and costly modifications then sure but, new rims and tires, one or two extra mags, salt life stickers, a holster, while sometimes nice carry little monetary value with me, particularly if you are $50 or more higher than Buds guns.

Agreed. I discount most accessories by 50-60%. Most of the time, I don't want the accessories anyway.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So far, I’ve met three members in the past three days. They have all been good people and found this thread funny, because it’s true. I have had so many PM’s from people that don’t even tell me what they are PM’ing me about. They just say *I’m interested. 555-5555.* I have multiple sale threads, are they interested in a pouch or a gun? :rofl:

Communication is key.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Good pictures are a must.

Price is negotiable, always. This is not walmart.

If you or I want to make an offer, go for it. If it is too low, just reply back that it is too low. If I want to hurt your feelings I certainly won't bother trying with an offer. Being polite is a lost cause these days.

I feel like most people are too combative these days. If I ask a question I just want an answer, no need to read into something that is not there.

Location and travel desires are best listed in the sale ad, for clarity sake.

Humor is always appreciated by me, but I have a good sense of it. Not so sure about everyone else.

Bullsit remarks like "low ballers will be ignored" and "don't waste my time" usually indicate the level of the seller. Hard pass on those blow hards.

100% Agreed.

Manners in general are lost in today’s society.

I could be included with my manners comment, but buyers and sellers these days are massive flakes. I dread anytime I realize I’m gonna want sell something through a classified ad anywhere.

The deals I’ve made on the shooter have all been good experiences though.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    And we delete or move them when we see or are notified.
    Wear the notify button out. God knows we get them by member's for nothing.

Deleting and moving threads that have a location different than what is in their profile is stupid.

I know people that work 50+ miles from home and it's more convenient for them to meet someone after work in that area than try to drive all the way back home.

In my case, I think it's obvious I don't live a fictional city.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Deleting and moving threads that have a location different than what is in their profile is stupid.

I know people that work 50+ miles from home and it's more convenient for them to meet someone after work in that area than try to drive all the way back home.

In my case, I think it's obvious I don't live a fictional city.

I think you are 100 percent wrong and looking for a fight as normal.
    He and i are talking about ads that are placed in the wrong location (ie) area of the Site/ Forum
    As,far as what you are talking about we normal give the seller a chance to update the info and put a location for the sale.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I think you are 100 percent wrong and looking for a fight as normal.
    He and i are talking about ads that are placed in the wrong location (ie) area of the Site/ Forum
    As,far as what you are talking about we normal give the seller a chance to update the info and put a location for the sale.

No, what Troy stated is that people list a different physical location in their thread than what they show in their profile.

Deleting and moving threads because of this is dumb, for the aforementioned reasons. I think you 100% misunderstood what Troy and I both posted and you automatically assume I want to argue with you. I know you're just waiting to hit the ban button... again.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    And we delete or move them when we see or are notified.
    Wear the notify button out. God knows we get them by member's for nothing.

I think Troy was stating that someone lists Baton Rouge as his Location (on his profile) and then posts a WTS ad, but in the text states that he's in New Orleans (or something similar).

As a general practice, we do nothing. As long as the seller has a location in either their profile or in the post, they are good to go. If the locations conflict, the one in the post should be considered the most accurate location.

What I think you were referencing is if someone posts a WTS: Glock 19 ad in the Long-gun/Rifle sub-forum. If that's the case, we typically move the thread to Handguns, or issue a warning/infraction and delete the post.

Does this clear things up for everyone?

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    A simple reading of the market place rules would make things clear.
    The Sig should have loction or the text in the adversiment as Per Rules
    In the case of Signature says for instance Baton Rouge but says pick up in Gonzales that's fine. As they may live in one or the other
    I do not see the rule as,stuipd.
    As,far as being a,required to have location.

Top Bottom