What optics do you guys have on your AR?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Unless you are in the Military and have to carry your gun all day, get off the weight horse, it's dead dude. I am sure your car / truck can handle a few more ounces when IT carries it to and from your home / hunting lease.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Unless you are in the Military and have to carry your gun all day, get off the weight horse, it's dead dude. I am sure your car / truck can handle a few more ounces when IT carries it to and from your home / hunting lease.
    hiking around, weight matters. Same when shooting off-hand. I'm not much of a bench junkie anymore.

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    Now, this is my AR, it would not be the best for close quarter fighting, or night patrol, or home protection.

Optics:
    Leupold Mark AR 6-18x40 with mildot reticle and Burris PEPR mount

AR: It's a mutt

Upper is Rock River Varmint 16" with the wylde barrel (1:8) pretty stock with caldwell bipod (to be replaced with an Atlas bipod as soon as I marry rich (done it wrong twice, so far) or hit the powerball.

Lower started out as a Essential Arms, modified with:

Geissele SSA trigger
    Magpul PRS stock
    Accu-shot monopod

Weight: > 10 lbs, not a problem still hunting coyotes, etc or shooting holes in paper.

Bottom line: No, I don't want to carry it all day. It's too heavy and I'm too old. It also has no electronic enhancements. I didn't put it together for that. What I wanted was an AR platform that from 300 m you can consistanly take head shots - and on good days, you can put it in it's eye. And, do it with a caliber that is economical to shoot.

The beauty, the elegance of current AR technology is that you can do pretty much whatever you want with the same basics. I was initially confused when I "came home" to this platform - But I have learned that THIS IS NOT AT ALL MY OLD "ISSUE" M16.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    My Bushmaster Predator wears a Nikon 6X18X40 on a Nikon 20moa mount.
    And will soon be acompanied by a Laser Genetics sub-zero ND3 40mm.

Last edited:

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    This is what I have left:
    ARs.jpg

I traded my old Bushmaster for a FAL and sold the EOTech... but I can't seem to find a pic of it on my photobucket account.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I'm about to buy the new DD V7 and am going to need some optics as well. I don't want a red dot (at least not right now), but I would like an ACOG or scope... looking in the 300-400 range (hopefully). Recommendations? New to the game so I have no brand loyalties (trijicon, eotech, aimpoint, etc).

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Didley,
    Jmanrogers has a 3x Leupold CQ/T scope for sale on here today. Thats a nice setup if you want a variable power optic. A 4x ACOG is about $700-$900 used.

I didn't realize they were that much... eesh. I talked with him, but it may be a little out of my range. Need to do some research and figure out what exactly I want and how much I'm willing to spend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom