Whats a good range pistol in 9mm?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'd take that bet. Because I'd be shooting two Rugers for the price of your Trojan! Nothing wrong with the Trojan, but for a range gun you can look no further than a Ruger P series.
    Probably 3 if if you shopped around.
    That's cuz all my shots will be in the center. ;)
    In a circle shooting contest, I'd call that second place.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    A good 9mm "range pistol" is going to be something your comfortable with regardless of size or cost. Keep in mind that whatever suits you in the range should suit you for any purpose wether it be plinking,competition or self defense. Any gun you own could be called upon to save your life so just find the one you really like and have a blast.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    He said, "good," not, "cheap."

My Trojan will shoot circles around any Ruger P-series.

Don't under-estimate the power of the Ruger P series. You might think you can shoot circles around a P series,and maybe you could,but sure as **** that Ruger will outlast that STI. Not just for the cost,but the build of these Rugers will outlast many guns out there...they are tanks. They are good and inexpensive...the American dream. FYI...I have outshot many guns with my Ruger P95,including my XD9. It all depends on the shooter.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    CZ 75 is a good recommendation.

G17 or G34 isn't terrible, although for a range pistol only, you could do better with something a bit heavier. Certain folks dislike the grip angle/feel of the Glock as well, and by default, the trigger isn't all that great. Furthermore, I personally can't stand the factory Glock sights-- and know quite a few people who feel the same way.

M&P series is the same thing of a different flavor, although the 3 backstraps typically mean that you'll find a grip feel that you like. I don't mind the out-of-the-box sights on them at all, but the trigger is actually worse-- even in the Pro (IMO). While a drop in Glock job is cheap and easy, you basically should count Apex parts or a custom number on an M&P if you plan on shooting it a lot.

My first in this department was a 92FS, and frankly, it remains one of my favorite to shoot at the range. Mine has never choked-- and if you keep yours lubed up, neither will yours! It's a fine steel beast, the grips are agreeable and easy (plus inexpensive) to replace if you find something better. The SA trigger pull is remarkably nice. Best of all, it's accurate as sin-- and incredibly easy to shoot well. Even new, the pistols are affordable-- and there are plenty of used 92's in excellent shape on the market. Magazines and accessories are in ample supply. For a purely "range pistol", it's definitely worthy of mention.

Mac204

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    CenLa
    I would humbly suggest the Sig P6. Toss in an 18# mainspring and it's a true pleasure to shoot. You can find 'em for a pretty reasonable price. I love mine.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    If you want an HK USP 9 and dont mind some wear and tear there are LOTS of them in the market that are police trade in's, cant tell you exactly where they came from as that remains a urban rumor but they come setup w NS and magwell and usually can be found in the $450 range, keep in mind they will have some use on them but at the end of the day its still and HK.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    My personal most accurate 9mm is hands down my Beretta M9. Other got theirs. :)

Like many have suggested, if you're only going to use it as a "fun gun", no need to drop a ton of dough- consider a quality used model. Hard to beat a Glock, IMHO. You won't beat the Ruger someone suggested for the price. It all depends on what you want to spend, I reckon.....

Last edited:

Cadien

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I don't like the DA/SA for a range gun myself. I'm extremely happy with my Springfield XDM in 9. The capacity is great, trigger is nice, accuracy is better than me. Just my two cents. I've heard good stuff about the M & P. CZ 75 was another great suggestion. But for me, I'll stick with the XDM for versatilities sake.
    Layne

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I don't like the DA/SA for a range gun myself.

Why not, out of curiosity?

I agree with this statement as it applies to a carry weapon-- but the "range only" aspect tends to negate many drawbacks. It also makes sense if you're talking about a DAO pistol. Honestly, all of my DA/SA only see DA mode at the range when I actively engage it. Maybe I'm missing something?

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans

My STI Trojan was one problem after another. Replaced extractor twice and still FTE. Ran 950+ rounds through it and the frame developed a crack by the trigger guard. Maybe I had a lemon but my P89 has gone through 2500+ rounds and my P95 has 1200+ rounds with never a hiccup. Even my XD9 can't boast that. Like I said,it could just be my bad luck I guess.

Top Bottom