Whats a good range pistol in 9mm?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My STI Trojan was one problem after another. Replaced extractor twice and still FTE. Ran 950+ rounds through it and the frame developed a crack by the trigger guard. Maybe I had a lemon but my P89 has gone through 2500+ rounds and my P95 has 1200+ rounds with never a hiccup. Even my XD9 can't boast that. Like I said,it could just be my bad luck I guess.
    You do realize that 1911 extractors need to be tuned are not NOT drop in parts? And a cracked frame after 950 rounds? I'm not saying it's not possible, but that is highly unlikely and surely would have been replaced by STI. I've see the barrels full of blanks that they reject - I know they are not above pitching something that doesn't meet spec.

My Trojan has over 3k rounds through it and it seems barely broken in.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Maybe I had a lemon but my P89 has gone through 2500+ rounds and my P95 has 1200+ rounds with never a hiccup. Even my XD9 can't boast that.

The XD can't boast that because it's had issues in fewer rounds, or simply hasn't been shot that much?

And it definitely sounds like you had a lemon there. I can't personally vouch for an STI from my own collection, but I definitely know of at least a couple with lofty round counts, and no issues outside of normal 1911 wear-and-tear.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    I've shot the Baretta 92's before. The grips seem like they're too big for my tiny little girl hands. I'm still wondering if the Sig listed at Academy is quality or ****.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Take whatever you shoot in .40 and look for a 9mm conversion barrel for it. You won't have to screw with learning a new grip, trigger or platform.

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    I've shot the Baretta 92's before. The grips seem like they're too big for my tiny little girl hands. I'm still wondering if the Sig listed at Academy is quality or ****.
    The Hk fullsize is not going to be much better if you have small hands.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I have a Glock 34 and a CZ 75B. The 34 is a range pistol and the 75 is a pistol I keep in my business. Both are excellent pistols. If it's just a range pistol the 34 has a longer sight radius which should equate to better accuracy. Edit - I bought my father a Springfield XDM in 9mm with a 4.5 inch barrel. Excellent pistol too.

Last edited:

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    Storm, I've got the Taurus 24/7 in .40 and was looking for something different or else the conversion would be a great idea. Ya'll have given me something to think about with the CZ's though. I remember handling a few when I worked at Academy in college. They seem real tight, but a little heavy.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I have a Glock 19 and I wouldn't recommend it for range plinking . Get something with a little bit more bulk to it . Unless you have really small hands , then never mind .

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    I just went through this choice as well. I ended up getting a deal off of Buds on a Sig p229 e2 model. I've always wanted a p229 just didn't want to bite off that chunk of cash. Saw the deal and had to jump on it. It went over and above the $500 price I had set on my range gun, but I like the Sigs. Even though the American models seem to be bashed. To tell the truth, I have a couple and they shoot great and I really haven't found anything wrong with them. And maybe I'm old school, but I like the idea of buying something made in the U.S.

Anyway, the 2022 has gotten good reviews, and it's a bargain priced gun, so I don't think you would go wrong with it. If you're interested though, I think Buds still has the p229 e2 model with three 15 round mags on special.

~r~

p.s. editing this because I read a post above, concerning the grip width and bulk. The new E2 series, which stands for Ergonomic Squared, has a thinner, less bulky grip.

Last edited:

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    Yea, but I was just looking for a plinker, not really the best handgun money can buy. I appreciate the suggestion though. I got to look at some really awesome guns. I'm thinking the p89 Ruger is gonna be the way I go.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    My range 9mms

I take a Beretta FS92 to the range when I shoot. I also shoot my son in law's Bersa Thunder Hi Capacity 9mm and it's as accurate as the Beretta and maybe a little smoother trigger pull. For the price Bersa makes a very nice handgun.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    Yea I've got the compact .380 Bersa. I like it alot. I bought it for my wife but she didnt like it and it was hard for her to work the slide. So now it's my nightstand gun.

Top Bottom