will there ever be .22 again?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    I have no complaints there.

Nope. Ammo has always been the part of shooting sports that's most susceptible to interference, disruption and legislation. Look at the lead ammo ban (hunting only, for now) in California, for example. The current market is a perfect example of how weak the ammunition supply chain is.

Even Appleseed is offering reduced round events because of the current scarcity. It's a Good Thing that introductory shooting programs are being made a priority; I don't shoot near enough to justify stockpiling every single box of .22 that shows up on the shelf at Cabelas/Walmart/Academy/wherever.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I can beat that... Cabelas sent me a message saying my Forster Co-Ax press came in. Now that is a real indicator things are at least beginning to loosen up a bit. 9 months!

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Wow must have been a NEW EMPLOYEE who never got the memo to sell them to other employees or buy them yourself lol

Great Score..Congrats

Lets hope management doesn't find out and end the new persons career for selling them to you :}

There was only 3 boxes on the shelf and they were stocking them as I walked by. They did have a ton of 9mm, 40, 45, 223, etc and normally do.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Decided to reorganize my ammo cabinet since the weather sucks. I found a box of 22mag maxi mags with a price of $3.39 on it. It has been a while since I saw that price! Also found some 16ga slugs with the $1.95 price still on them.

the dubshow

master plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Ferrera has some .22 coming in next week. I know he was selling bricks to existing and new customers.

And I just got notice my back order from last year (november?) shipped. And is probably lost in the south snow.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    MidwayUSA has stopped backorders on 22LR.............glad I got my backorder in a couple months ago for 2,000 rds of Winchester M-22.......

the dubshow

master plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Back order FTW.

y8a5a3yz.jpg

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Skiney likes him some Thunderbolts.....

Awe Meh Yeah.....

IMHO if your weapon of choice won't shoot "Thunderbolts" reliably you might want to take a look at the quality of your weapon.

I know may have read/heard alleged Horror Stories about "Thunderbolts" however; they've been around a long, long, time, my experience using them in both rifles, and pistols, semi auto, single shot, bolt action, it's been all good.

Got a Browning Buckmark Camper that eats them like tic tacs, and a Remington Model 552, Henry Lever Action, and a Winchester Model 67 that love them:}

Now granted I don't shoot them in fancy, snazzy new weapons, just reliable old school 22's IMHO just like the Thunderbolt ammo.

Simply my experience:}

Peace B with U!

kr26fz0g6p4n58i6vuj.jpg

wiliermdb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    Prairieville, LA
    I've been pretty lucky getting some Remington and Federal LR's through Cabela's online in the 5 to 6 cent range. Ordered a 525 box for $23.99 early this morning. (3 AM) Nabbed that box. Got some subsonics 100 count Remington for a couple of bolt actions I have for a tick over $6 a box as well. Those things are so quiet out of my old bolt actions. Grabbed a couple of 50 ct Remington boxes during the week and a 325 count Federal can so I'm good for awhile now with 1150 rounds added to the cabinet. I'm up to about 5K rounds. I can hold off until it hopefully starts to hit the shelves again.

I'll be running some of this through my latest purchase, a Ruger 22/45 auto.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Thursday I actually saw 9mm on the shelves at WalMart- 100rd boxes for $27. And I left them there as I have plenty enough 9mm.....so this is a good sign that maybe the availability of 9mm is getting better......It used to be 5.56 (223) was impossible to find but it is back, price is stabilizing......9mm is coming back.....so my feelings are that .22LR will be back maybe by mid summer...
    Why? Well, if they were going to ban guns, ammo, etc it would have already happened and it hasn't -- and that was the fear that started all of this nonsense. Just my $.02

Ferrara Fire

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2013
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    We sold 60k rounds of .22lr this past week. We expect to sell the same amount this coming week. We are just a little shop tucked away on a small street.

We have had good luck getting common and popular calibers, even .380 and .22lr.

Ferrara Fire

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2013
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    MidwayUSA has stopped backorders on 22LR.............glad I got my backorder in a couple months ago for 2,000 rds of Winchester M-22.......

Not to rain on your parade, M22 might get Scarce, they just recalled some lots. I have to check the whopping 1 brick I have coming in when it arrives since it left the distributor. Thank goodness for the other cases coming from Remington, Federal and CCI.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Not to rain on your parade, M22 might get Scarce, they just recalled some lots. I have to check the whopping 1 brick I have coming in when it arrives since it left the distributor. Thank goodness for the other cases coming from Remington, Federal and CCI.

Yeah, I saw that -- but I'm one who refuses to pay the stupid prices some vendors were asking for 22LR. I'd rather wait 6 months and get it at a normal cost then to pay "Cheaper than Dirt" kind of prices.

I'm loyal to those vendors who took care of the shooters and did not gouge them. In fact I made it a point to buy just about every Christmas present this year from Cabela's, Academy, Bass Pro, MidwayUSA, Natchez, and Walmart since they didn't gouge us.

Cheaper than Dirt and Ammoforsale.com can kiss my backside if they think I'll ever order anything from them again......

Next time I'm in your neck of the woods I'll stop in -- From what I've read here, Ferrara is one of the Good Guys!!!

Top Bottom