After SHOT discussion: What makes your pants moist?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Man, I don't know where you're buying ammo, but a thousand rounds of 9mm can be had for under $200 and a case of .223 isn't much more.

http://www.freedommunitions.com/9mm-115-gr-RN-p/fm9r115r-b0250.htm

http://sgammo.com/product/wolf-or-w...mj-55-grain-steel-case-wolf-ammo-made-ukraine

To stay on point with the thread:

The new KHARD 60 from Arcteryx makes me tingly in my swimsuit area.
    http://leaf.arcteryx.com/ProductFind.aspx?language=EN&category=Packs_and_Travel_Systems

...of course, I'm just a middle-class suburbanite.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    No, fortunately we get the gun for free with the job. Honestly though, to think an LEO can afford a potentially $1000 weekend once a month or even once every two months is absurd. I suppose if i saved all the ammo i shoot monthly and only shot on that weekend i could manage to shoot once every 6 months. I average around 200-300 rounds a month.

I'm not asking for donations from anyone, although i do appreciate the gesture. It's just not feasible for most guys to go out and shoot these weekend classes and keep up with training regularly, unless the department provides ammo. It's really a sad state of affairs. If you feel strongly about it maybe write a letter to your local chiefs or council members.

Also don't forget you could possibly take the class with a .22 and then use the ammo you have to go over the things you learned in class. Heck you could train with a broom stick and make gun nosies training FREE training I would take even if I didn't have the ammo you can always just shoot less too. (not trying to be rude or condescending)

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Pay attention Watson! This^ is how a master I-sleuth lays the groundwork. :p

No sleuthing sir, just told the man if he was in a class with me and was shooting 9mm, I'd have no problem letting him take whatever he needed for the class.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I guess it would be okay. Just seems like it would be something huge to shoot pistol bullets. I can understand the pistol caliber AR-15 from a practicing what I normally use by with cheaper ammo standpoint, but not a carbine glock.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    It was an example pulled from Chris' post. Oh and left handed AIs.....

Simply an example of the focus of the industry from warfighter to Wannabe operators. That is all. Glad u guys have the stomach for it, cause I dont (obviously). Make your money.

What would a real deal operator like yourself want to see? What ideas do you have for innovation?

WOLFIE

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Bossier City
    I guess it would be okay. Just seems like it would be something huge to shoot pistol bullets. I can understand the pistol caliber AR-15 from a practicing what I normally use by with cheaper ammo standpoint, but not a carbine glock.

You have a valid point. I want one because I think it would be neat or should I say cool and fun to shoot. I would prefer a 45 auto rifle. A rifle cartridge is too much power for shooting steel plates.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    You have a valid point. I want one because I think it would be neat or should I say cool and fun to shoot. I would prefer a 45 auto rifle. A rifle cartridge is too much power for shooting steel plates.

Gotcha, I'd still be after a pistol caliber AR for that, but I can see your point.

FD807

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Geismar La.
    No, fortunately we get the gun for free with the job. Honestly though, to think an LEO can afford a potentially $1000 weekend once a month or even once every two months is absurd. I suppose if i saved all the ammo i shoot monthly and only shot on that weekend i could manage to shoot once every 6 months. I average around 200-300 rounds a month.

I'm not asking for donations from anyone, although i do appreciate the gesture. It's just not feasible for most guys to go out and shoot these weekend classes and keep up with training regularly, unless the department provides ammo. It's really a sad state of affairs. If you feel strongly about it maybe write a letter to your local chiefs or council members.

What dept. do you work for so we know who to address these concerns about availability of training ammo to? Some of these depts. claim there is no extra money in the budget for extra training but are quick to gobble up what is basically a armored APV that will sit in a building and probably never see any real use, I wonder how many rounds of training ammo that would buy

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    I know St. Tammany had stopped their range days for a while. Don't know if they started up again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom