"Casual" Carry in a Vehicle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    No where does the law say it is. But you can still keep a gun in your car in the state of louisiana unless you are in a few select places.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

But I can't keep an open bottle of beer in my truck. At least not while I'm driving it.

......... do open container laws apply if I'm just chillin', parked before I go into my in-laws' house and need a little liquid amnesia :confused:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    But I can't keep an open bottle of beer in my truck. At least not while I'm driving it.

......... do open container laws apply if I'm just chillin', parked before I go into my in-laws' house and need a little liquid amnesia :confused:

they sure do. When people make the argument "i cant drink in my car" I like to reply with "you can't kill a family of 4 with your house"

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    lol probably the best defense for open container i've ever heard.

"im on my way to my in-laws..." not sure it'd be possible to resist the smirk.

Craig8sm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    It's my understanding from the CCW class that you can have a handgun anywhere inside your car including on your person without a CC permit. It is only when you exit the car that you better have that permit.

If you are going to leave your handgun in the car, (It's not poor judgement, it happens, there are time when you need to disarm to remain within the law.) These are very handy, http://www.gunvault.com/nanovault-200.html comes with high strength steel braided cable that is looped around a solid structure like the seat frame. It's not 100% protection, but not to many smash and grabbers are carrying bolt cutters.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    It's my understanding from the CCW class that you can have a handgun anywhere inside your car including on your person without a CC permit. It is only when you exit the car that you better have that permit.

If you are going to leave your handgun in the car, (It's not poor judgement, it happens, there are time when you need to disarm to remain within the law.) These are very handy, http://www.gunvault.com/nanovault-200.html comes with high strength steel braided cable that is looped around a solid structure like the seat frame. It's not 100% protection, but not to many smash and grabbers are carrying bolt cutters.

Who ever taught your CHP class is giving out wrong information.

Craig8sm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    Who ever taught your CHP class is giving out wrong information.

More than likely a misunderstanding on MY part.

I never understood why someone would want to conceal on their person inside a car anyway when the didn't have a proper permit. Far to easy to get into a situation where they would have to exit without the ability to remove their handgun.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    More than likely a misunderstanding on MY part.

I never understood why someone would want to conceal on their person inside a car anyway when the didn't have a proper permit. Far to easy to get into a situation where they would have to exit without the ability to remove their handgun.

Nor I! Just from an accessibility standpoint alone. However, I am sure there are some CHP gunslingers that may chime in telling us how they can grab their gun from concealment while sitting down with a seat belt wrapped around them in mere nanoseconds.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    This is the holster I use in my vehicle... it allows for a fast and unnoticed draw. It also allows for a more natural looking draw in the event someone is forcing you out of the vehicle. Being low under the steering column, it is dark and out of the way. Reaching for it and bringing it up and easy and one solid motion.

The mount is sturdy and I have never had it slip or move from it's location in any way. Where I have to mount it on my vehicle also has a small lip that it could slip sideways and fall off, yet that has never even closely presented itself as this thing stays in place once attached. (Without any damage or modification to your vehicle).

steering_wheel_mount_1__13607.1410978881.1280.1280.jpg

Just my review of the mount. Your choice of holster is your decision.

Last edited:

Craig8sm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    This is the holster I use in my vehicle... it allows for a fast and unnoticed draw. It also allows for a more natural looking draw in the event someone is forcing you out of the vehicle. Being low under the steering column, it is dark and out of the way. Reaching for it and bringing it up and easy and one solid motion.

The mount is sturdy and I have never had it slip or move from it's location in any way. Where I have to mount it on my vehicle also has a small lip that it could slip sideways and fall off, yet that has never even closely presented itself as this thing stays in place once attached. (Without any damage or modification to your vehicle).

steering_wheel_mount_1__13607.1410978881.1280.1280.jpg

Just my review of the mount. Your choice of holster is your decision.

So when you leave your car, I'm assuming you don't leave it there, if you take gun and holster whats left in the stering column to draw attention of snoops and passers-by? Not a big fan of having the thing pointed at my feet either while drawing.
    interesting none the less.

Top Bottom