Ccw Traffic Stop Protocol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    SOrry. General YOU, but specifically 0wen 502

Posted it to make fun of someone carrying a weapon with no ammo. Not to have civvies tear up my tactics.

Trying to help my friends here not get in trouble. STop ganging up on me you mean gun nuts. :confused::confused::confused:

You consider me knowing my rights "being so difficult"? Its officers with that attitude that give them a bad name.

The traffic stop should be just that, a traffic stop. I will follow the CHP laws and allow you to disarm me. I will not waive my 4th amendment rights. I will also not give you a reason to strip me of that right. I am always polite when being stopped. Do not expect me to say much though. This is following the law, not getting around the law.

I am not trying to personally attack you or any other officer on here, but everyone should know what the law is and what is required, not just what you would like to happen.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I'm pretty much pro law enforcement, but your "Holier than thou" attitude has really struck a nerve with me :mad:

Read the law. As I interpret it, you are required to inform law enforcement , whenever you come in contact if you are armed. In my book, the weapon within reach is armed. I will review the LA CHP rulebook, but I do not think it states only if you are concealed. Besides, is it worth getting sot, justified or not, to prove a point?
    having a CHP in NO way diminishes my rights as a citizen of the State of Louisiana. In this state I have RIGHT to have that gun wherever I want within my home regardless of a permit and having a permit doesn't restrict that - only after I exit my does my permit come in to play.

Don't be suh a stickler and do the right thing. Your encounter will go much smoother if you just tell up front than let a leo find it later on. Now the perception s you were trying to hide. Adrenaline goes up, and bad things happen when testosterone is ncreased in a jbt's bloodstream.:eek3:
    I have a right to be a stickler as much as I want because I SHOULD have an expectation that a LEO WILL abide by the law, not that the officer wants to get sloppy with the law and make halp-hazard interpretations on the side of the road.

I am sure you are a nice guy, and your intentions are honorable, but its a safety thing.
    and what about the non-leo that you just left on the side of the road unarmed and unable to defend themselves? I'd feel perfectly safe in a uniform and a marked unit, but average Joe sitting on the side of the road trying to reassemble his firearm and reload it doesn't quite have the ability to pick up a radio and call for armed backup...

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Man, no wonder everyone has a problem with New Orleans officers. From your attitude when it comes to weapons we can certainly see why. Disassembling a weapon on the side of the road is 100% a horrible idea. Springs can fly, mistakes can happen, you aren't paying attention while you are trying to figure out how to take it apart... the list could go on.

The one time I was stopped was in Mississippi by Highway Patrol. He was extremely polite, only glanced at my sidearm and asked me to leave it on me in the holster, then let me go for speeding with a warning.

There is no reason why you should be handling someone elses sidearm on a traffic stop who voluntarily presented a CCW permit. If you insisted I remove it I'd politely ask to remove the entire holster and not remove the gun due to safety reasons. You are likely unfamiliar with clearing the P7.

+1 on the comments.

Same experiences with traffic stops here. They just have me leave it in holster. I have gotten off with warning everytime since getting my permit.

Edit to add:

Nolacopusmc please watch the videos in the thread quoted above.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Man, no wonder everyone has a problem with New Orleans officers. From your attitude when it comes to weapons we can certainly see why. Disassembling a weapon on the side of the road is 100% a horrible idea. Springs can fly, mistakes can happen, you aren't paying attention while you are trying to figure out how to take it apart... the list could go on.

The one time I was stopped was in Mississippi by Highway Patrol. He was extremely polite, only glanced at my sidearm and asked me to leave it on me in the holster, then let me go for speeding with a warning.

There is no reason why you should be handling someone elses sidearm on a traffic stop who voluntarily presented a CCW permit. If you insisted I remove it I'd politely ask to remove the entire holster and not remove the gun due to safety reasons. You are likely unfamiliar with clearing the P7.

OK, you are likely unfamiliar with New Orleans. Please feel free to continue to naively carry in Baton Rouge. I suggest you try to stay out of New Orleans. WHen you go throught he police academy or get a Law degree, we can revisit this subject.

In an attempt to maintain the generally fun nature of this post, I request you keep from making comments about me personally since you speak from a podium of complete ignorance of the subject. We will have to agree to disagree.

However, while I am sure you never break the law, not everyone a leo encounters is that way. I will always err on the side of my safety. While I may not be as familiar with the P7 as you are, I am also smart enough to figure out how to clear probably any weapon safely since I am a certified armorer in four different manufacturers.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Jesus Christ, you guys are like locusts. LOL I can't even respond fast enough.

Look, I made the post in jest of the fact the guy went through all the trouble to get a CHP and then did not even load the weapon because it was dangerous.

I gave the suggestions, because despite what is wrong or right, reality happens.

Your right, some cops do not know the law, and some cops are just sloppy. These guys normally go a whole career without any bad juju hapening to them. I have been in the ****, so maybe I am just a little more cautious than most.

Please take into account, when you deal with 99/100 criminals with guns, you have to assume the next guy will be too. Otherwise, you give the one nice guy who volunteers his CHP the benefit of the doubt, and he gets pissed because he is getting a ticket and you start taking fire. I have seen it happen.

Most here, even those that are tearing me apart are law-abiding people. I do everything I can to protect those people. However, when there is a high probablilty that the guy I stop tomorrow will take a shot at me, I have to do what is safest for me.

Obviously taking a slide off is a little extreme for most of you, I do not know who I am dealing with. I have to assume a certain level of sitruct because of the nature of the work.

I would love to debate this issue with you, but I will not participate any longer is the shots some of you are taking at me. Be fair, you don't even know me. Despite what you think, we are on the same team. I support any law-abiding person to own and carry a weapon, especially in New Orleans, but no one wears their rap sheet taped to their forhead, so until proven otherwise, I have to assume the worst.

Sorry if I came off arrogant, but like many of you, I feel strongly about what I do and this topic.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    OK, you are likely unfamiliar with New Orleans. Please feel free to continue to naively carry in Baton Rouge. I suggest you try to stay out of New Orleans. WHen you go throught he police academy or get a Law degree, we can revisit this subject.
    so he's not qualified to travel in N.O.? especially since you aren't even in N.O. according to your Avatar title you're in Jefferson Parish...

and police academy is not law school, don't even go there...

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA

What is so different about New Orleans? State and Federal laws do not apply there?

However, while I am sure you never break the law, not everyone a leo encounters is that way. I will always err on the side of my safety. While I may not be as familiar with the P7 as you are, I am also smart enough to figure out how to clear probably any weapon safely since I am a certified armorer in four different manufacturers.

For your safety, its best not to mess with any firearm you are unfamiliar with.

While we may not be lawyers, that does not mean we are ignorant of the law. Many others, like myself have done extensive research on the laws regarding firearms. It would be very irresponsible for us not to. I do understand the scum you come in contact with on a daily basis. Those scum do not read this forum nor research the law. If we can educate the members here, we are all better off.

I think my main point is, don't be annoyed if someone knows and follows the laws.

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Please take into account, when you deal with 99/100 criminals with guns, you have to assume the next guy will be too. Otherwise, you give the one nice guy who volunteers his CHP the benefit of the doubt, and he gets pissed because he is getting a ticket and you start taking fire. I have seen it happen.

Can you find me one report or news story where a CHP holder opened fire on a cop at a traffic stop? I would wager a beer at Hooters that it has never happened.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I'm sure pretty much everybody here agrees with and would have no problem being disarmed under a traffic stop circumstance. Even to go so far as not really making a federal case for having the mag dropped and the pipe cleared. But, removing the slide, IMO, is just not right. Would it be safe to say you get a little chuckle inside everytime you do it, kinda like a F you to the subject?;)

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    What is so different about New Orleans? State and Federal laws do not apply there?

For your safety, its best not to mess with any firearm you are unfamiliar with.

While we may not be lawyers, that does not mean we are ignorant of the law. Many others, like myself have done extensive research on the laws regarding firearms. It would be very irresponsible for us not to. I do understand the scum you come in contact with on a daily basis. Those scum do not read this forum nor research the law. If we can educate the members here, we are all better off.

I think my main point is, don't be annoyed if someone knows and follows the laws.

Fair enough, and I appreciate your attention to detail about the law. Likewise, do not take every act or comment an officer takes for his safety as an assault on your rights.

New Orleans is different, because there is a much higher percentage of scumbags here. That is why police here, the good ones, are little more strict about tactics.

Yes, federal law and state laws apply here...most of the time. Depending on who you know.

Just kidding.

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Another question. Is it JPSO or NOPD policy to run the numbers on any gun encountered?

You said you had to check to see if its stolen. Do you check cell phones to see if they are stolen? What about the box of tools I have in my truck?

I only bring this up because you did.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm sure pretty much everybody here agrees with and would have no problem being disarmed under a traffic stop circumstance. Even to go so far as not really making a federal case for having the mag dropped and the pipe cleared. But, removing the slide, IMO, is just not right. Would it be safe to say you get a little chuckle inside everytime you do it, kinda like a F you to the subject?;)

honestly no. It is a safety thing, and maybe I misrepresented myself. I do not represented myself. I do not do that to everyone. Also, I have nly encountered a handful of CHP holders in thousands of traffic stops. Generally CHP holders obey the law. For the record, I did not take this guys slide off or anything else, because without any ammo, the weapon was not a threat. S it was not necessary.

I am sure if I encountered one of you guys, and I did not get the holier than thou you are violaing ky rights speech, it would be a quick exit your vehicle and probably a warning. However, until I feel safe, I do what I think is necessary to stay safe.

Besides, most weapons I encounter are brycos or high oint, and who the hell knows how to take them things down.:D

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Another question. Is it JPSO or NOPD policy to run the numbers on any gun encountered?

You said you had to check to see if its stolen. Do you check cell phones to see if they are stolen? What about the box of tools I have in my truck?

I only bring this up because you did.

It s not policy that you must, but most departments prefer you too. Remember, most people we encounter are bona fide criminals. ANd despite your smart ass comment, no we do nto run cell phones r tools, unless we have reason to believe they are stolen. However, just like each plate is automatiucally run to see if stolen, most guns are also, Not always, but usually. However, I rarely run a CHP holder unless something seems fishy.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville

^^^What he said. After dropping the mag and clearing the chamber, the weapon is safe. Taking the slide off is just adding insult to injury.

I think I understand why the lowly "civvie" was visibly agitated.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    ^^^What he said. After dropping the mag and clearing the chamber, the weapon is safe. Taking the slide off is just adding insult to injury.

I think I understand why the lowly "civvie" was visibly agitated.

well, when you take a couple of rounds, then we will see.

BTW the lowly civvie was agitated because he was speeding and not weaing a seatbelt.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I clear every gun, seperate it from the ammo, run the serial # and leave the gun and parts in the car and inform the violator where they are and not to reload until down the road. Every gun, same thing, every time.

I dont disassemble strange guns, alot of them I dont know how to, and there is no telling what they got billy bob the gun plumber down the street to do to that thing to make it unsafe.

Top Bottom