Ccw Traffic Stop Protocol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Having been pulled over more than my share of times (but also having an absolutely clean driving record, imagine that), I make it a habit as soon as I stop my car to get my paperwork in my hand with my driver's license. I follow the instructions of the officer. If he says get out of the car, I go to the back bumper and wait for him and hand him everything. I keep my hands visible. I have not been pulled over while I was carrying, but if I were, I would certainly inform him and include my CHP with my license, etc. If it is not on my person, I don't mention it unless for some reason it is visible. It really isn't any of his business if I have a gun in the car (there is always one), and he certainly cannot search the car without either permission (which I don't give) or a warrant. This is not a knock on you NOLACOPUSMC or any other LEO, but, having lived in New Orleans all of my life, I absolutely do not trust the police to not plant something in the car. Sorry guys.

The best advice that I can give is to always be courteous to the officer whether he is acting professionally or not. Sometimes, if you are courteous, you may draw only a warning. If not, remember the officer is only doing his job. If the officer is being unprofessional, keep your mouth shut. Have him call rank if need be or just wait and speak to the Sheriff or Chief later.

Could not have said it better myself. While I AGREE that it is not a legal necessity or requirement to tell the LEO if you are not carrying on person as stated in LSP rulebbok;IE state law; I am only advising , it is a good idea.

Honestly, what would it hurt wether on your person or not, to just let the pofficer know. Most of you are right. While I will not dismiss someone who advises me they are armed as a threat, it does seem logical that most people will not tell you if their intent is to kill you.

however,a stop may start off civil, then the driver has a suspended license or something, realizes they may go to jail, or just gets mad thatthey are getting a ticket. Viola, they have a gun.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Well I've been driving about 40 yrs and have been stopped 3 times, all were just fishing. I did tell them I was armed and everything went OK. The Trooper that stopped me told me he was sorry for stopping me.

If you keep treating CHP holders like that searching their cars just because they have a permit you are going to cost JP money. You better hope you don't stop MEM he WILL know the law but he won't have a CHP he doesn't believe it them.
    You need to read the Louisiana laws before you try to enforce them.

Be safe out there.

Read before you post.

I never searched his car.
    I didn't treat him like anything.
    You don't know what I knoiw or do not know, so I am rubber and you are glue.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Taking the slide off, which seems to rack people the wrong way, is a safety thing for those who make me feel unsafe. It is purely subjective and dependent on my gut feelings on the stop. I doubt most of you would make me feel that way

That's all I was saying.
    Lets be honest, if you pull over a car full of Canadians and they gots a Hah Pernt under the seat, #1: chances are they ain't getting that piece back and #2: I would expect you to tear that phucqer down to screws and springs and toss it in a canal. ;)
    I was more concerned that this was SOP. And if it was SOP, well it's just a Crap move IMO. Joe Republican isn't the one jumping out of his car popping off rounds, that's the modus operandi of our "northern" neighbors!;):D I personally would have no problem at all having the slide locked,pipe cleared, and mag dropped, just no more. Anyway, let's not beat this horse anymore. I think we've cleared up the semantics. I don't want you to think it was cop-bashing time.
    Just clear one thing up for us, are you NOPD? or JPSO? Eastbank or westbank? (I grew up in NOPD 4th dist)

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Read before you post.

Read you own post you said YOU went into his glove box.
    I know you don't know the LA law on CHP and you don't know how to spell know. :D

The rubber and glue **** I have no idea what you are talking about. I guess I too old for that.

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Read before you post.

You did search his car. Who went and got the gun out and looked for the registration? Not trying to be a smartass but that is considered a search in my book. If you found a bag of dope in there, would you have considered it found in the search. It definitely would not be in plain sight, nor did you have probable cause to look for dope.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    That's all I was saying.
    Lets be honest, if you pull over a car full of Canadians and they gots a Hah Pernt under the seat, #1: chances are they ain't getting that piece back and #2: I would expect you to tear that phucqer down to screws and springs and toss it in a canal. ;)
    I was more concerned that this was SOP. And if it was SOP, well it's just a Crap move IMO. Joe Republican isn't the one jumping out of his car popping off rounds, that's the modus operandi of our "northern" neighbors!;):D I personally would have no problem at all having the slide locked,pipe cleared, and mag dropped, just no more. Anyway, let's not beat this horse anymore. I think we've cleared up the semantics. I don't want you to think it was cop-bashing time.
    Just clear one thing up for us, are you NOPD? or JPSO? Eastbank or westbank? (I grew up in NOPD 4th dist)

JPSO Traffic, so east and west bank

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Read you own post you said YOU went into his glove box.
    I know you don't know the LA law on CHP and you don't know how to spell know. :D

The rubber and glue **** I have no idea what you are talking about. I guess I too old for that.

LOL. I actually do no how too smell, but me was tiping on my laptop with wonhand.

Last one, I swear.

It was in his center console, not the glove box, and actually had I found drugs, your buddy is right, it would not have been admissiable, if I was honest because the search was not incident to arrest or with consent. It was not a search in fact. It was a retreival of the firearm to render it safe for my safety. Anything discovered that was not in plain sight would have not been admissable. Or a good lawyer good have at least gotten it thrown out.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Honestly, what would it hurt wether on your person or not, to just let the pofficer know.

Most of the time, it probably wouldn't hurt, except there are LEOs out there who may not may not view it for what it is - a law abiding citizen being courteous. There are certain LEOs who believe that they are the only ones who are entitled to be armed and the mere mention that you have a gun in the car causes them to treat you as a criminal. Most LEOs will ask more questions, none of which the driver is required to answer, causing further delay. It is a LEO's job to ask questions, it is what they are trained to do; and most people want to be co-operative so they answer. Some officers can be intimidating. Other officers either do not know the law or try to see how far they can push the person to give up his/her rights. Some may want to take possession of your firearm. I have even heard of NOPD officers requiring proof of ownership before they will give them back. None of these things are legal, but a great number of people do not know what their rights are or seek to comply even if it is against their interest. Few are willing to "make waves" by calling the officer on it or by asking for his supervisor. Frankly, I think it creates more problems than it solves, although, I do understand your wanting to know the information.

While I do not ever enjoy being stopped, it is much better when the officer is knowlegable and professional. I am courteous, I expect the same from the officer. Unfortunately, that is sometimes not the case. A few bad apples give the rest of you guys a bad rep.

Dan

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I got stopped by a LPSO unit awhile back he was looking for a shooting suspect. The suspect was 5'6" with tattoo's all over him driving a white truck. I'm 6'5" no damn tattoo's driving a blue truck. I stopped before he put on his lights because I was listening to him on the radio. I turned on the dome light put my hands on the top of they steering wheel.
    He got on the PA and told me to get out of the truck and put my hands on the side. I did all that and when he got to the back of the truck I told him I had a CHP and I was carrying my gun.
    He asked where and I told him on my right side, he came up behind me and took my Sig and started to unload it. He trying to hold the gun, mag, round out of the chamber, flash light then wanted my ID. I asked him if he wanted me to hold some of it for him. :D
    After he ran my life history he cut me loose and I went back to doing my job.

I think he knew pretty fast I wasn't who he was looking for but he was safe while he had me stopped.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I haven't been pulled over since I got my CHP. I am always respectful of an officer, period...official or unofficial capacity. I always try to talk to them as peers and in a candid, light hearted, manner. Usually they do not comply, sometimes they will.

If an officer disarmed me and cleared my firearm after I handed them my CHP and Info I wouldn't like it, but I would respect it. If they ran my #'s I would like it less, but again I would respect it. If an officer disassembled my firearm after writing me a ticket during an otherwise respectful stop...I'd be a pissed off, just like I am when they don't shake my hand. I pretty much assume that they are the worlds biggest meaniehead. I'll still be nice, but I don't forget. I probably wont file a complaint but I will be bitter. I know that you've got that bottle of Purell in your car, so do I.

I give respect, and I don't mind not getting it in return but don't disrespect me as an honest man that is a peer in society. A badge doesn't make a man, a badge doesn't make a person a good person...their impact on society and the way they live their lives makes them those things.

Its funny when people look at their impact on society in a one sided manner, it should be transparent.

If you're an ass, or I perceive you as an ass, I will think that you're an ass. I will instantly think that anyone that looks like you is an ass, and as a result I will always resent you and everyone that looks like you. No matter how much I may love some of those people once I get to know them.

Bad cops make all cops look bad, there's no sense in being borderline.

I'm trying to get home alive too, every day...and as long as you don't point your guns at me or my loved ones we're probably both going to get home alive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Most of the time, it probably wouldn't hurt, except there are LEOs out there who may not may not view it for what it is - a law abiding citizen being courteous. There are certain LEOs who believe that they are the only ones who are entitled to be armed and the mere mention that you have a gun in the car causes them to treat you as a criminal. Most LEOs will ask more questions, none of which the driver is required to answer, causing further delay. It is a LEO's job to ask questions, it is what they are trained to do; and most people want to be co-operative so they answer. Some officers can be intimidating. Other officers either do not know the law or try to see how far they can push the person to give up his/her rights. Some may want to take possession of your firearm. I have even heard of NOPD officers requiring proof of ownership before they will give them back. None of these things are legal, but a great number of people do not know what their rights are or seek to comply even if it is against their interest. Few are willing to "make waves" by calling the officer on it or by asking for his supervisor. Frankly, I think it creates more problems than it solves, although, I do understand your wanting to know the information.

While I do not ever enjoy being stopped, it is much better when the officer is knowlegable and professional. I am courteous, I expect the same from the officer. Unfortunately, that is sometimes not the case. A few bad apples give the rest of you guys a bad rep.

Dan

Once again, you hit the round on the primer. That is also a good point why NOLA is much different than other parts of the state. The battle fatigue is one thing, but I will be the first to admit, there are some bad, or just plain ignorant cops here. I go the same route you do and live by the golden rule.

I am a cop myself, and I have been jacked up and had the ammo stripped fromm all three of my mags. Some areas of the city are worse than others.\

Top Bottom