Ccw Traffic Stop Protocol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I clear every gun, seperate it from the ammo, run the serial # and leave the gun and parts in the car and inform the violator where they are and not to reload until down the road. Every gun, same thing, every time.

I dont disassemble strange guns, alot of them I dont know how to, and there is no telling what they got billy bob the gun plumber down the street to do to that thing to make it unsafe.

That is what I would expect in an LEO encounter when i'm carrying. The LEO has peace of mind and my **** doesn't get fingerbanged and broken.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Ok I am not trying to bash anyone here but to inform everyone that reads this if the gun is in your car and it is in a confined space such as the console or glove box you are not required to inform anyone it is there unless explecitly asked! Weither you have a CHP or not. Also you still have the right to have said gun in vechicle if you have a CHP or not. Now only a dumbass would reach into a console or glove box to get paperwork with a gun in there without informing the LEO of its presence. Only if the gun is on your person or it is within reach such as between your seat and console are you required to inform the LEO of said weapon.
    Know your rights!

Last edited:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I've had two LEO encounters while carrying. One just looked at the permit and said nothing else, the other disarmed me and unloaded my gun. I didn't appreciate it but I didn't argue or even make note of it. I had other issues with that officer because he very rudely (imo) inquired several times as to why I had a FL CWP and not an LA CHP. None of his business, IMO.

I've never been in your shoes but, in my opinion, if someone tells you they have a firearm and tells you they have a permit, they're not going to shoot you. If they had plans on shooting you (or even unright intentions,) why would they give up that information on their own?

Also, the CHP requires you to tell you have a firearm if you encounter an officer in an official manner. Since a CHP is not required for you to have a gun in your vehicle, that information (in my opinion) doesn't have to be given without request. That said, as I understand it, if you're asked, you can't legally lie to the cop and tell them there isn't one.

This is not an attack against anyone, just my personal opinion.

mrdbeau

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Slidell Area
    Against my better judgment, I will wade into the fray.

First, Nolacop, I think most people here are likely to have a visceral reaction to being treated like Joe Blow with a gun when they have a CHP and are armed. Personally, I would. I have yet to be pulled over by a cop since I got my CHP, but if I'm treated like some gun toting *******, then I'm going to be pissed. Your story seems to imply that you sort of treated the person you pulled over in that manner.

I say that because as a few other people have mentioned here, CHP holders are law-abiding, down-to-Earth, gun-loving people, for the most part. As has also been mentioned, I would wager that you are probably safer with an armed CHP holder at your side than you are with Joe Blow having keys in his hands that he could stab you with (or some other scenario that is on that order of likelihood).

As you probably know, getting a CHP is not the easiest process in the world, and only someone who was truly a law-abiding person would even bother going through the process (particularly given how easy it is to illegally carry). I would hope that as an LEO, the sheer fact that I have a CHP gives you at least somewhat of an idea of my attitude towards the law and LEOs in a general sense.

Now, on the other hand, I think some of you are a little rough on Nolacop. I absolutely agree that removing the slide from a weapon is a little extreme, but were I in a situation where I was dealing with some obvious homeboy thug illegally carrying a weapon, I would probably go to some pretty far lengths, as well. If it were me dealing with a CHP holder who was armed, I likely would not even bother taking extra precautions, and I think that most of you jumping on Nolacop take the same attitude, but give the guy a bit of a break.

Finally, I don't know whether or not the letter of the law is that you have to inform a police officer that you are carrying if you are in your car. I understand that your car is an extension of your home and there are some different sorts of laws due to that situation; however, I also think that it is generally a courteous and proper thing to inform an LEO that you are armed, even if it's a routine traffic stop. It denotes a measure of goodwill on your part, and it sure beats you being asked to get out of the car and the LEO freaking out when you have a hand cannon strapped on your waist.

Just my thoughts on both sides of the argument.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Ok I am not trying to bash anyone here but to inform everyone that reads this if the gun is in your car and it is in a confined space such as the console or glove box you are not required to inform anyone it is there unless explecitly asked! Weither you have a CHP or not. Also you still have the right to have said gun in vechicle if you have a CHP or not. Now only a dumbass would reach into a console or glove box to get paperwork with a gun in there without informing the LEO of its presence. Only if the gun is on your person or it is within reach such as between your seat and console are you required to inform the LEO of said weapon.
    Know your rights!

FROM THE STATE CHP RULEBOOK.

(2) A permittee armed with a handgun in accordance with this Section shall notify any police officer who approaches the permittee in an official manner or with an identified official purpose that he has a weapon on his person, submit to a pat down, and allow the officer to temporarily disarm him.

You have stated my pint obviously better than I could. If it is in the glove box or console, and you do not tell, it makes you look bad. Looking bad is not illegal, but it does not buy you credit with leo on your way to a warning or no jail time if other offenses were involved.

It is no skin off your back, and leo feels safe,

Win-win.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Against my better judgment, I will wade into the fray.

First, Nolacop, I think most people here are likely to have a visceral reaction to being treated like Joe Blow with a gun when they have a CHP and are armed. Personally, I would. I have yet to be pulled over by a cop since I got my CHP, but if I'm treated like some gun toting *******, then I'm going to be pissed. Your story seems to imply that you sort of treated the person you pulled over in that manner.

I say that because as a few other people have mentioned here, CHP holders are law-abiding, down-to-Earth, gun-loving people, for the most part. As has also been mentioned, I would wager that you are probably safer with an armed CHP holder at your side than you are with Joe Blow having keys in his hands that he could stab you with (or some other scenario that is on that order of likelihood).

As you probably know, getting a CHP is not the easiest process in the world, and only someone who was truly a law-abiding person would even bother going through the process (particularly given how easy it is to illegally carry). I would hope that as an LEO, the sheer fact that I have a CHP gives you at least somewhat of an idea of my attitude towards the law and LEOs in a general sense.

Now, on the other hand, I think some of you are a little rough on Nolacop. I absolutely agree that removing the slide from a weapon is a little extreme, but were I in a situation where I was dealing with some obvious homeboy thug illegally carrying a weapon, I would probably go to some pretty far lengths, as well. If it were me dealing with a CHP holder who was armed, I likely would not even bother taking extra precautions, and I think that most of you jumping on Nolacop take the same attitude, but give the guy a bit of a break.

Finally, I don't know whether or not the letter of the law is that you have to inform a police officer that you are carrying if you are in your car. I understand that your car is an extension of your home and there are some different sorts of laws due to that situation; however, I also think that it is generally a courteous and proper thing to inform an LEO that you are armed, even if it's a routine traffic stop. It denotes a measure of goodwill on your part, and it sure beats you being asked to get out of the car and the LEO freaking out when you have a hand cannon strapped on your waist.

Just my thoughts on both sides of the argument.

Beautiful. Eloquently put.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    FYI.

I will be forced to disarm everyone at HOOTERS and search you vehicles.

Just kidding.

I appreciate the response from everyone. I think I failed to communicate my point properly in the initial post, some people took it too serioulsly, and others just have issues with leo. That's cool.

Please don't beat me as I walk into the door.

mrdbeau,

you are absolutely correct. I stated much of what you said in other posts, but it is moving so fast I doubt many read it. I would feel safer with most of these guys on a traffic stop. That is why I joined this forum because I respected what most had to say.

Taking the slide off, which seems to rack people the wrong way, is a safety thing for those who make me feel unsafe. It is purely subjective and dependent on my gut feelings on the stop. I doubt most of you would make me feel that way

J

jayd

You guys,
    You gotta remember this poor bastid works in the armpit of Louisiana,
    ORLEANS Parish

Most of the 'Nawlins po-leece have a sort of combat fatigue from working in a dangerous area all day and than having to deal with the dregs of society all the time

If that don't ruin yer day I don't know what would
    That being said
    I learned along time ago to stay outta Orleans Parish.........;)

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    FYI.

I will be forced to disarm everyone at HOOTERS and search you vehicles.

Just kidding.

I appreciate the response from everyone. I think I failed to communicate my point properly in the initial post, some people took it too serioulsly, and others just have issues with leo. That's cool.

Please don't beat me as I walk into the door.

mrdbeau,

you are absolutely correct. I stated much of what you said in other posts, but it is moving so fast I doubt many read it. I would feel safer with most of these guys on a traffic stop. That is why I joined this forum because I respected what most had to say.

Taking the slide off, which seems to rack people the wrong way, is a safety thing for those who make me feel unsafe. It is purely subjective and dependent on my gut feelings on the stop. I doubt most of you would make me feel that way

I don't have a single problem with LEO's and am friend with MANY LEO's both from this board and otherwise.

That's a cop-out. Same as Obama supporters calling those who disagree with him, a racist.

You guys,
    You gotta remember this poor bastid works in the armpit of Louisiana,
    ORLEANS Parish

Most of the 'Nawlins po-leece have a sort of combat fatigue from working in a dangerous area all day and than having to deal with the dregs of society all the time

If that don't ruin yer day I don't know what would
    That being said
    I learned along time ago to stay outta Orleans Parish.........;)

Didn't said incident happen in Jefferson Parish?

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Since a CHP is not required for you to have a gun in your vehicle, that information (in my opinion) doesn't have to be given without request. That said, as I understand it, if you're asked, you can't legally lie to the cop and tell them there isn't one.

You do not have to answer either.

Granted things are more civil if you do answer.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    FROM THE STATE CHP RULEBOOK.

(2) A permittee armed with a handgun in accordance with this Section shall notify any police officer who approaches the permittee in an official manner or with an identified official purpose that he has a weapon on his person, submit to a pat down, and allow the officer to temporarily disarm him.

You have stated my pint obviously better than I could. If it is in the glove box or console, and you do not tell, it makes you look bad. Looking bad is not illegal, but it does not buy you credit with leo on your way to a warning or no jail time if other offenses were involved.

It is no skin off your back, and leo feels safe,

Win-win.
    I don't think I stated your point at all . :D What I implied was that if the weapon is not on my person , we ain't going to discuss it . I make it a point to have my DL , Registration and Insurance card in hand when the officer makes contact . There's no reason for me to dig in the console or glove box .

As for disassembling the weapon , that takes TWO hands . Leaves you vulnerable wouldn't you say ? Easier to stick it in your belt or drop it on your seat till finished .

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't think I stated your point at all . :D What I implied was that if the weapon is not on my person , we ain't going to discuss it . I make it a point to have my DL , Registration and Insurance card in hand when the officer makes contact . There's no reason for me to dig in the console or glove box .

As for disassembling the weapon , that takes TWO hands . Leaves you vulnerable wouldn't you say ? Easier to stick it in your belt or drop it on your seat till finished .

AGAIN. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO MOST OF YOU BECAUSE:

A. YOU WON'Y GET PULLED VER BECAUSE YOU OBEY THE LAW
    B. YOU WILL DO THE SMART AND PRUDENT THING AND NOTIFY THE OFFICER
    C. EVERYTHING WILL GO SMOOTHLY, THE OFFICER WILL NOT SEE THE WEAPON, AND NO ONE IS THE WISER

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU PEOPLE. PLEASE TRY VERY HARD TO UNDERSTAND THAT

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Having been pulled over more than my share of times (but also having an absolutely clean driving record, imagine that), I make it a habit as soon as I stop my car to get my paperwork in my hand with my driver's license. I follow the instructions of the officer. If he says get out of the car, I go to the back bumper and wait for him and hand him everything. I keep my hands visible. I have not been pulled over while I was carrying, but if I were, I would certainly inform him and include my CHP with my license, etc. If it is not on my person, I don't mention it unless for some reason it is visible. It really isn't any of his business if I have a gun in the car (there is always one), and he certainly cannot search the car without either permission (which I don't give) or a warrant. This is not a knock on you NOLACOPUSMC or any other LEO, but, having lived in New Orleans all of my life, I absolutely do not trust the police to not plant something in the car. Sorry guys.

The best advice that I can give is to always be courteous to the officer whether he is acting professionally or not. Sometimes, if you are courteous, you may draw only a warning. If not, remember the officer is only doing his job. If the officer is being unprofessional, keep your mouth shut. Have him call rank if need be or just wait and speak to the Sheriff or Chief later.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    You don't become a cop, because you want to serve and protect. Anyone who believes that is an idiot. You do it because you get respect, because they let you carry a gun and a badge. Most people respect the badge.. Everybody respects the gun...
    ~Robert de Niro

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Well I've been driving about 40 yrs and have been stopped 3 times, all were just fishing. I did tell them I was armed and everything went OK. The Trooper that stopped me told me he was sorry for stopping me.

If you keep treating CHP holders like that searching their cars just because they have a permit you are going to cost JP money. You better hope you don't stop MEM he WILL know the law but he won't have a CHP he doesn't believe it them.
    You need to read the Louisiana laws before you try to enforce them.\

Be safe out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tstevens42
    Top Bottom