Crazy bayou shooter gun prices.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I would love a scar or HK45t but not over retail nor having to get it through a private individual out of state when I can get it from a dealer at that price.

Creoleman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Metairie,La.
    I don't know if this applies here, but I've seen cases where some old fellow would have an old pickup truck or sports car,often with sentimental value; put a "for sale" sign in the window and price it ridiculously (never really intending to sell and often to satisfy wife). A guy pricing something
    THAT high might never really want to sell.And yes, I know it's weird.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Some folks like myself, will shop around and find the best deal we can on a gun. If you walk into many gunshops, they don't offer good or even fair deals on the guns they sell. Heck, I saw a well used "New Vaquero" today that had significant cosmetic issues and the tag was $700!!!

Many many people are just willing to pay the marked up price. When they get tired of it, they may sell it here at a loss, but it's still not a good deal if you shop around.

The other thing is there are so many people who are afeared of being on the guberments registry and are willing to pay a little more for a private deal.

Sucks, but that's what it is.

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    The same people who put crazy prices on their items are generally the same ones who will lowball the crap out of your items.

Offer what you think is a fair market value and if they don't want to sell, move along.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    For what it's worth:
    When I place an ad to sell something, I usually ask exactly what I expect to sell it for. If I place the ad expecting someone to lowball, I add "FIRM" to the ad. If I really want to sell it, I might add "negotiable".
    On the buying end, I do consider the asking price to be set in stone until I actually see the item and decide if it's worth the asking price or not, usually in the case of a firearm.
    If the asking price is not lower than retail, or in the case of a collectable or decked out or "extras, at what I believe to be fair market value, I pass the moment I see the ad.

As someone mentioned earlier, free market. People can ask whatever they want. I don't struggle with the whys any more than I do when I'm shopping at retailers. I just move on til I find the right price. I figure if someone is asking a grand for a $600 rifle, they just simply don't wanna sell it. And I'd be wasting my time even contacting the seller.

I know that not every buyer or seller thinks the way I do, so I know that any stray from my expectations will have to be dealt with if and when I contact or meet with the person, which makes it easier to decide whether or not to pursue the item while reading the ad.

I fully understand the reasoning for not allowing anyone else to post in a marketplace ad and agree with it. Interested parties can communicate with the OP via PM. The rule alleviates potential aggravation from those who have no interest in the ad except to poke or prod. I remember how things were before and a deal should be between the two parties making the deal.

Last edited:

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I don't know if this applies here, but I've seen cases where some old fellow would have an old pickup truck or sports car,often with sentimental value; put a "for sale" sign in the window and price it ridiculously (never really intending to sell and often to satisfy wife). A guy pricing something
    THAT high might never really want to sell.And yes, I know it's weird.
    And I have encountered a few Ja--as-es on here that list things just to boast about look what I have with no intention of ever selling said item. I have called there bluff and made a full price offer and u never hear from them again.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Sadly (it's been a while though) when this argument was brought up a few years back I remember a few people saying " the higher price is for not having to do a background check"

J.wag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    poplarville mississippi
    Keep in mind your neighbors to the east! I'm a mississippi resident and browse the bayou shooter forums regularly, although I have not posted a classified yet you never know if some one would want to go through the hassle of ffl transfer fees to purchase that out of state item.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    Un-licensed La residents can only sell to Louisiana residents over 18 y/o under federal law. Unlicensed people don't have many regs. but that is the main 2.

BlueHeaven

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    Kenner, La
    Just my thinking, but maybe some people are avoiding background checks by making these private sale purchases. Others rather buy this way to avoid big brother from knowing what's in your collection. I don't know of any retailers that charge a fee when you buy from them. Fees only come in play when your using a FFL as a location for picking up a out of state weapon. I've purchased a couple items from members and made low offers and the sellers usually countered high or stuck with the original selling price. I still made the purchase just because I wanted the items and were worth the asking price. If the item is over retail price, I don't look twice. That's rediculuos to ask over retail price. My point : a scar 17 listed $500 over other similar ones on gunbroker forevvvvvvver. BNIB overpriced. Give it a rest.

Best advice: if you don't like the price move on. There's always something else that will come along your interested in.

Last edited:

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Caveat Emptor! Unfortunately, MORE THAN ONE retailer in Metairie regularly gives "deals" to their repeat customers who believe an FFL is like a Primary Care Physician; only "theirs" knows best. They unknowingly overpay for an item and consequently overcharge when they try to sell it here on Bayoushooter. Due diligence would reveal the sticker price was 20% over MSRP, the "deal" /purchase price is MSRP, and the used price is 80% of MSRP. That 80% of MSRP is what the rest of us usually pay NEW. This problem worsens in small towns where there is no competition from other retailers, or the nearest competitor is so far away customer travel becomes unfeasible.
    As far as a return on the investment/ losing money when they sell, the fact that someone overpaid for a new item doesn't mean I am going to overpay for it used. A wise man once said, "you don't lose money when you sell an item at a loss, you lost your money the day that you overpaid for it."

Last edited:

Scylas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    I don't know if this has been said since I've only skimmed over this discussion as I'm joining it late, but people here have lost a lot of business from me with these stupidly high prices.

I tried messaging people with fair market values and I gave up because I never got any takers. You can't price something ultra high to compensate for lowball offers, instead you should turn down a lowball offer or compromise.

You can't even expect to sell something as a individual here for the same price that a gun shop would, this is the downside to not running a gun shop. Get over it. Those of you who expect to make even more than gun shops are just out of your minds. As a customer it's a LOT easier to suck it up and fill out the forms at a gun shop than it is to go set up a meeting with someone and worry about whether they're going to try to rob me or not, so if I'm going to deal with the later then I better be getting a good deal. Posting things the same price or higher than a gun shop would is a waste of your time and the customers who have to filter your ad out.

Sorry for venting, but this has been brewing for a while now and this discussion finally gave me the opportunity.

Top Bottom