Handgun for a woman

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Zachary, Louisiana
    Noticed your Sub picture. What boat? I served on USS Albacore, USS Thomas A Edison, and USS Seawolf SSN 575. I agree with you on your post. My wife shoots and carries a Ruger LCR in 38 caliber. I especially agree with your carry recommendations. Purse snatchers probably get a lot of free weapons that way.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Small to petite women = Glock 42 or G26
    Medium to larger women = Glock 19 or a 26

Of course smaller women could easily carry the G19 or G26 as well. But the lighter recoil of the G42 would allow the smaller/petite women to manage it better along with the thin frame and grip.

Maybe consider a recoil buffer or an upgraded recoil reducing spring/guide rod.

The 19 is larger than the 26 and therefore less concealable... But everything fits in the suitcases women carry around now-days.

I wouldn't give a 40 or 45 to a woman that is new to weapons. An experienced woman, sure.

In the long run, it will come down to what she feels the most comfortable handling and shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    For guys who recommend small revolvers: I just have to ask, why? My S&W 442 has like a 12# trigger pull, horrible sights, only holds 5 rounds, and kicks like a beast. It's very much a "get off my chest" gun. Far from an ideal defensive weapon, IMO.

I think a Glock 26 or 19, or something similar, is ideal for a lady.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    For guys who recommend small revolvers: I just have to ask, why? My S&W 442 has like a 12# trigger pull, horrible sights, only holds 5 rounds, and kicks like a beast. It's very much a "get off my chest" gun. Far from an ideal defensive weapon, IMO.

I think a Glock 26 or 19, or something similar, is ideal for a lady.

A 38 special is a far cry from a 380. It's not just the size of the projectile, but the powder packed behind it. Not to mention, a revolver as compared to a semi-auto is totally different...

I would never recommend a revolver for a green female shooter simply because all of the energy expended by the round firing travels straight into the shooters arm. With a semi-auto, the energy (or a portion of it) is absorbed by the action of the weapon.

"It's stings when I shoot it" is a popular comment from women when firing a revolver... Any caliber.

If you want to get them used to the energy transfer and appreciate it, let them fire a double tap 45... They should love a revolver then.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I thought my fiancée would really like my .38 revolver because of the low recoil, but as was said, the trigger pull was a much bigger challenge for her than it was for me. She shot about 12 through it before deciding she couldn't do it any more. Some might say the long, heavy trigger makes it safer, but I think if she were being attacked, it would only serve to hurt her accuracy.

CY09

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I like my Czs and Kahr K9. Metal guns are heavier, but I think easier to shoot. I have several 38 revolvers that I dread shooting. They hurt my hands and I cannot imagine actually practicing or training with them.

chanteliz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    Covington, LA
    Hi, I'm new here and female. I have a Springfield XDS 9mm with a 4" barrel. I love my gun. Just looking for a holster right now...

Look up packingpretty.com There is a video of a runway show for women with concealed options.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    My daughter bought a Bersa Thunder CC .380. It's thinner than a Glock (she wears tight clothing) but easier to shoot than a Ruger LCP. .380 not a potent round but I'm not volunteering to get shot w/ a .380 pistol.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Whose idea is it that she carry? If it's hers and she's motivated to do it, then a good, solid holster and a good choice in carry gun will take her far.

If it's not her idea and she's just so-so interested asking a young 20 year old woman to carry a gun on her hip is going to fail rather quickly (talking from my experience with my wife). The purse carry is not ideal, but it is better than nothing. And once she's comfortable there and experiences the risk and limitations of purse carry she may move to a better choice of concealment.

Beyond that, my wife has shot a 442 air weight (hated shooting it but loved the simplicity), an m&p9c which she chose to carry (both times), and my g19 which she liked the best but is way too big to carry on her 5'0 frame.

Se doesn't carry at all, though. After getting her all set up with the gun she wanted and belt and holster she decided having the kids around her so much while carrying made her nervous. Just one of those things.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    The width was what turned me on to the Springfield too... it's only .9" wide :)

Thats what she said. Though I must say if .9" thick turned you on......

anyways, check out rmholsters. Not sure what type of carry you're looking for, but their low rider is the most comfortable and convenient I've tried. I had a couple other leather ones (including crossbreed) and a larger kydex, but they were all too big a pain in the ass to remove/put on and just too bulky. Rmholsters is a site supporter and a local.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I haven't received it yet, but so far, RMHolsters has been very good on the service end. Kee contacted me about a question I asked here and accommodated my needs. There is about a 4-week lead time right now, which I'm hoping nearly coincides with the arrival of my permit (pretty sure I'll have the holster first).

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    Hi, I'm new here and female. I have a Springfield XDS 9mm with a 4" barrel. I love my gun. Just looking for a holster right now...

Look up packingpretty.com There is a video of a runway show for women with concealed options.
    My wife said she liked the XDS9 over the M&P Shield because of the single stack magazine, made the grip smaller and easier to handle for her. She's been looking at a CCW purse once she gets her CCP in a month or so. She likes the fact that she can shoot through the purse if need be.

Top Bottom