Honey Island Plate Rack

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    it's been a while since I have been, and it is hard to beat considering the cost and skeet shooting option. However the experience is always inconsistent. When I bring new shooters (especially ones who are wary of firearms), I do not like for them to be treated with condescending attitudes for no reason and it happens quite often. They are already uncomfortable, and this just makes it worse.

We have a similar range here in MS, in McHenry (out of the way for some of you). I plan to drive down and try it one weekend. Looks nice and supposedly the staffing is A+. Which is good to hear, considering the private range that just opened up here is staffed by asshats (supposedly).

Last edited:

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    it's been a while since I have been, and it is hard to beat considering the cost and skeet shooting option. However the experience is always inconsistent. When I bring new shooters (especially ones who are wary of firearms), I do not like for them to be treated with condescending attitudes for no reason and it happens quite often. They are already uncomfortable, and this just makes it worse.

We have a similar range here in MS, in McHenry (out of the way for some of you). I plan to drive down and try it one weekend. Looks nice and supposedly the staffing is A+. Which is good to hear, considering the private range that just opened up here is staffed by asshats (supposedly).

Honey Island gets by because it's the only game in town. The northshore is starving for a decent range. The St Bernard indoor range seems to be doing it right but sadly it's it if the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Honey Island gets by because it's the only game in town. The northshore is starving for a decent range. The St Bernard indoor range seems to be doing it right but sadly it's it if the way.

You are exactly right. I drive from Hattiesburg to FITS and HI due to the lack of range this way. I refuse to utilize our local range due to reviews from local shooters, and I haven't been to McHenry yet because honestly nothing else is down there. If there was another option on the Northshore I would utilize it, frequently. There is MCTA in Picayune but haven't been there yet.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    You are exactly right. I drive from Hattiesburg to FITS and HI due to the lack of range this way. I refuse to utilize our local range due to reviews from local shooters, and I haven't been to McHenry yet because honestly nothing else is down there. If there was another option on the Northshore I would utilize it, frequently. There is MCTA in Picayune but haven't been there yet.

Well if McHenry is anything like Tercott it will be gtg. It's ran by the same group. The on problem I see with Tercott is not enough lanes. But it's a nice place with good folks running it. They just need more lanes. I was up that way shooting yesterday and we had a great time on the pistol range but couldn't get on the rifle due to a line of folks trying to get that deer rifle just right. The pistol RO was nice as could be he went around helping folks out being a perfect ambassador for his range, but he didn't tolerate even the slightest variation from the rules. It was quite entertaining to watch.

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA

Mississipi tactical training range located near stennis space center, blows honey island off the map.

they have 3 pistol ranges, a 100m and 200m rifle range.

mctarange.com

best range ive been to in a long time. and they have big boy rules no retarded range nannies.

10$ for non members a day on weekends. $300 member fee for year with 24 hour access.

i was there sunday, from 11-3 and maybe 10 people all together there, was great.

Last edited:

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    I'll give a follow up on McHenry on here for anyone interested, whenever I go.

MCTA is ran by a group that I network with on social media with, they are jam up guys I just haven't taken the time to go. I recommend trying them. Kelly Firearms of Picayune is associated with it.

Last edited:

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA

MCTA is ran by a group that I network with on social media with, they are jam up guys I just haven't taken the time to go. I recommend trying them. Kelly Firearms of Picayune is associated with it.
    yep, i chatted up Tom kelly yesterday for like 2 hours. good guy

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Mississipi tactical training range located near stennis space center, blows honey island off the map.

they have 3 pistol ranges, a 100m and 200m rifle range.

mctarange.com

best range ive been to in a long time. and they have big boy rules no retarded range nannies.

10$ for non members a day on weekends. $300 member fee for year with 24 hour access.

i was there sunday, from 11-3 and maybe 10 people all together there, was great.

When you say big boy rules... what does that mean?
    While I am not one to worry much about my neighbors and their silly behaviors, I could see where a range full of people practicing cross draws might not be something that interest me.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

BJ, Brian, and James go out there often. I haven't been yet, but was planning on taking the new build to their 200 yard range sometime in the future.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Funny, I've been going to the Honey Island range since the mid 80's and have never had a problem. I shoot rifles on the rifle side, pistols in the pistol area, and rimfire in the rimfire area. I've shoot the shotgun portion maybe three times.

Oh well, I guess folks will complain about anything.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Funny, I've been going to the Honey Island range since the mid 80's and have never had a problem. I shoot rifles on the rifle side, pistols in the pistol area, and rimfire in the rimfire area. I've shoot the shotgun portion maybe three times.

Bless your heart.

I suppose for the folks that just want to shoot their granddad's 1911 and their .270 for deer season, there isn't much of an issue.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA

I almost got shot there. You can have that place.

JR1572

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    very strange as I went there on November 6 and the guy and gal next us was shooting that same target and no one said anything to him.
    That was me and the wife. And the older RO even commented that it was a cool target. At least until the "boss" "supervisor" or whatever he was walked through, he said it was a no go. We could finish, but couldn't shoot at them again.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    That was me and the wife. And the older RO even commented that it was a cool target. At least until the "boss" "supervisor" or whatever he was walked through, he said it was a no go. We could finish, but couldn't shoot at them again.

Seriously, I could understand if the target was inappropriate, but the target you posted is hardly inappropriate.

JR1572

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Thus making any argument to not allow them, irrelevant.

I wonder if the RO who carries a 1911 in condition 0 is still there... He was a real genius.

I've seen people carrying da/sa guns in condition 0 (safety off hammer back) in classes. That's both stupid and dangerous.

JR152

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Agreed.

Even stranger that all of the OC'ing RO's don't have retention holsters.

Yeah, some of those guys are real class acts. I rolled up in the police parking area with my cool car and before I could get out the car they were yelling at me telling me that it's the police parking area blah blah blah. After the guy stopped yelling and I showed my ID he continued to argue with me telling me my agency does not issue that model vehicle and call me a liar. It got straightened out, but seriously, I've had a few bad experiences there. If I was being an ******* to people, sure, I'll take my lumps. However, the only time I ever got indignant with those folks was after they called the rifle line hot while I was still downrange repairing a steel target.

JR1572

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner

HEY ! Nice to put a face to a name here. The pistol RO seemed cool with everything, I must have missed the Boss. I actually liked your targets, thought they broke down vitals pretty well.

Last edited:

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Seriously, I could understand if the target was inappropriate, but the target you posted is hardly inappropriate.

JR1572

Agreed. Too many places for me to shoot to put up with this place any more, but what can I say, new gun and was itching to shoot it, and it's convenient. Lesson learned.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom