If you're scared - SAY you're scared!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ijaw

Unknown Camper
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Bayou Tigre, LA
    Walking back out of the woods at 2:30am (with only my headlight) after hunting rabbits at night with my bow. I felt strong thunderstorm winds upon my back - that's when I noticed a large black object was approaching me quickly from the rear. I could not confirm what it was, but the faster I moved forward - the faster it moved and it was gaining ground. When I reached the crossroads, it swiftly passed me and disappeared into the field across the gravel road. That's when I realized - it was a very large black trash bag flowing within the high winds. Scared the $h!t out of me - and YOU??

X Zombie

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    NOLA
    Are you sure it was a trash bag from the beginning? I'd bet it was Bigfoot picking up trash and dropped his plastic bag when you scared him.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    The dark will make a coward out of the bravest soul.

Case in point. 4:30am with a 5:30am sunrise. Setting my tree stand on the tree with no light. Out of nowhere the loudest screech I had ever heard happend so close to me I thought it was on top of me. Turned out to be a screech owl. Never heard one before. Had I not already done my business that morning, I would have needed a change of drawers.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I love it!!! Its amazing what kind of things your mind does to you at night in the woods/marsh/bayou etc.....I had my own shadow scare the **** out of me when I was about 14 on a duck hunting trip just after a strong storm front came thru. My dad and brother went out to retrieve the decoys before the water got too low and I stayed on the boat with my trusty .410. Stern light was on and with the wind blowing I coulda sworn I saw something moving in the grass next to the boat. When I looked out of the corner of my eye, it moved and moved more when I moved my head to look at it and then it stopped..WTH???:confused: I did this maybe 5 times and got scared--so scared my knees were shaking! :noes: Where the hell was Dad and my bro?? They should been back by now...at this point I'm thinking that the boogeycreatures had gotten them too and I was by myself..Man, I was scared shitless. Luckily just after having these thoughts I heard my brother tromping thru the marsh grass lugging on the pirogue..Man, I was some happy to get the hell out of that place (which was south of Lafitte near Bayou St.Denis). Crazy what goes thru your mind sometime!!LOL:)

What was it you might ask??? It was my own shadow the whole time. I was literally scared of my own shadow.....The mind is an amazing thing!

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

Case in point. 4:30am with a 5:30am sunrise. Setting my tree stand on the tree with no light. Out of nowhere the loudest screech I had ever heard happend so close to me I thought it was on top of me. Turned out to be a screech owl. Never heard one before. Had I not already done my business that morning, I would have needed a change of drawers.

Man especially if you've never heard one before! lol

What gets me is straps and **** on Game Bags and deer stands. If I feel it drape acorss my arm or neck or something it usually freaks me out :rofl:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I did lots of walking in the dark at night without a light, to get over the fear of the dark and the critters and stuff. Not the wisest, but it worked.

Then again, I got over my fear of heights by going tandem with a buddy on the Dragonwing at Six Flags. After that, I was much more confident and ready to tackle tall ladders, tall stairways, and other random tall places with a view-down.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    For some reason, if I'm out at my property with someone else... even if they're all the way on the other side of the property (400 acres), I can walk without a light with a little moonlight, without even thinking about it.

When I'm out there on my own... that's a totally different story. Light on, checking behind me every now and again for bigfoot!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Now this is irrational, but if you do this, you will hit the gas a little harder on your ATV. I promise!:D

At night, when coming back from your deer stand to your ATV. When you start your way back; start letting your mind wander about the possiblity that a deranged psycho or escaped inmate could be somewhere on the trail or maybe running up behind your bike.

:noes:

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I did lots of walking in the dark at night without a light, to get over the fear of the dark and the critters and stuff. Not the wisest, but it worked.

Then again, I got over my fear of heights by going tandem with a buddy on the Dragonwing at Six Flags. After that, I was much more confident and ready to tackle tall ladders, tall stairways, and other random tall places with a view-down.

I fu**ing hate heights. Just watching a video of a guy climbing a tall cell tower or something make me weak in the knees. It's like I have a fear of passing out or loosing my footing or grip when I get high off the ground. I went on a job with some scaffold builders (I was not a scaffold builder at the time, nor will I ever be, that's my dads profession), we had a special job at a small plant in Iowa. They had a huge rolling scaffold inside of a tank that had to be taken down and moved out of the tank. Of course, the tank only has like a 2ft diameter hole for entry/exit, so its DARK in there, and we only had 1 damn work light on the ground. So, once we got about 30-40ft up, it was very hard to see anything, which I guess was a good thing because that meant I couldn't see the ground. Well, we get up there, and start chain lining material to the ground. I started out in about the middle, then one of the damn scaffold helpers pussed out and wouldn't go any higher and that only left me to take his place, which of course I did, the whole time cursing this guy in my head and wondering why he ever got a job as a scaffold builder if he is scared of heights.

Boy, I went on with that one...just had some memories flooding in. Lol, but what I was trying to get to, is I was scared shitless because I knew how high I was even though I couldn't see the ground, but I did it anyway. Sometimes, you just got to do what you got to do even if that means facing some of your fears. After all was done and we got back on the ground, I did call the guy out and made him feel like an ass for making someone who was not a scaffold builder take his place because he was scared of heights.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Long time ago, probably in my mid thirties, walking to the stand with no light on. Could have walked it with my eyes shut. Walked into a pine sapling thicket and right into the side of a cow. The double tap of running into something solid and the cow exploding from the thicket just about killed me right there.

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La

http://youtu.be/eTGtOQqUkyg

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    My story is similar...but real.

short version is me walking through the woods at night....alone....unarmed...slightly....or very drunk...probably more than that actually.....feel like something isn't right.......make a snap decision to take the long trail through open ground instead of the shortcut through the woods.......make it to my tent. Shut the flaps & turn on the light.

Then the panther stalking me screamed. Yeah. The don't growl or hiss or go "meow"....they let loose a blood curdling scream. I've never been so instantly sober or scared in all my life. Stayed awake until dawn with a knife in my hand & my back against a wall. Tracks on the dirt road backed me up. That was in NE LA.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    My story is similar...but real.

short version is me walking through the woods at night....alone....unarmed...slightly....or very drunk...probably more than that actually.....feel like something isn't right.......make a snap decision to take the long trail through open ground instead of the shortcut through the woods.......make it to my tent. Shut the flaps & turn on the light.

Then the panther stalking me screamed. Yeah. The don't growl or hiss or go "meow"....they let loose a blood curdling scream. I've never been so instantly sober or scared in all my life. Stayed awake until dawn with a knife in my hand & my back against a wall. Tracks on the dirt road backed me up. That was in NE LA.

We had some guys talking sh!t after my son walked up on a panther at night. Talking about how they'd shoot it and such. I say "BS!!!" If a panther wants you at night, you are dinner!

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Ya know....both our stories are funny because according to the laf&w, "There are NO panthers/cougars/mt lions etc. residing in Louisiana.

Me and a few others know better. Looks like you do too.

Kcabear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Gueydan
    These are some great stories!!

About 2 years ago working here in south Texas we had our rental houses set up on a rig location about 2 miles from the Rio Grande river and the company man did want to move his house till he got back from days off and nominates me to stay in the house! It's 22 miles of dirt road to any highway and the nearest rig is 10 miles. The last well we drilled had a group of 40 illegals come to the rig. Well my first night out here we get a bad wind storm and this house is moving good and all of a sudden I hear someone trying to open the back door. I grab my 40, haul ass out the room and slide in the haul like Tom Cruise in Riskey Business with my gun drawn! Well turns out the wind was moving the house and the chain above the door was hitting sounding like the door knob shaking. Yeah didn't sleep well that night!

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    I can 3rd the panther screams in NE La. Born and raised there and did all my hunting not far from the Arkansas line. Nothing will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up like the scream of a panther while it is still dark in the morning hours, nor a pack of coyotes coming towards you after dark in the evening. They may be wild dogs, but when you got about a dozen, you get a little nervous.
    On a side note, this is supposed to be a true story about a hunter up there: Man and wife go before daylight and man stops and puts woman up a ladder stand and says stay there and if I hear you shoot, I will come check on you. Man heads to his stand. A little while later, still dark, the woman hears something walk up under her stand. She leans over to try and see what it is. She still hears it making slight noises so she leans a little further. Well it continued so she leaned over a little too far and fell out of the stand on top of the noise. It was another hunter that had stopped apparently to take a leak. He screamed and she screamed and the man took off running leaving his rifle leaning against the tree. The husband come back and had a good laugh. They turned the rifle in to the local SO but the man never did come to claim it......I guess if I was him I would be a little embarrassed to show up to after having a woman fall out of a tree on you while taking care of business.:mamoru:

Last edited:

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    Ya know....both our stories are funny because according to the laf&w, "There are NO panthers/cougars/mt lions etc. residing in Louisiana.

Me and a few others know better. Looks like you do too.

I was told by a WLF to stop asking about it... lol Basically he was hinting that they clearly exist and are here, yet you "could" lose hunting rights on your land if they are "discovered" there as they are endangered?

I've had the usual scares coming out of the woods in the evening. What is weird is that in the AM, I'm fine. Heading in, never even think about it... I could skip like an idiot and never concern myself with it. After a long hunt, coming out of the woods... I might by attacked by a squatch, cougars, velociraptors, escaped convicts... lol

The worst one I ever had was walking out of a spot up on a lease near Jena, Was pitch dark thirty and before I made it to the woodline, I heard a branch snap just to the left of me. Seemed to be no more than twenty feet away. That had me fairly spooked but the worst part was that my truck was parked on the camp road and the walk from the treeline to the camp road was quite far on a torn up old logging road right through the center of this huge empty field. The walk through the woods wasn't so bad, the walk out in the open was... lol Just thinking about how every animal for 500 yards in every direction can see me... and I can't see ****. lol Kinda wierded me out.

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I was told by a WLF to stop asking about it... lol Basically he was hinting that they clearly exist and are here, yet you "could" lose hunting rights on your land if they are "discovered" there as they are endangered?

WLF is trolling you. Black panthers are right up there with Bigfoot. We have Choctaw folklore to thank for those big black cats. "black cougar" simply does not exist. The only black panthers in existence are black jaguars found in South America and black leopards that live in Asia and Africa. Their are some cats in central america who have a melanistic phase but they are small, less than 35-40lbs

It falls under the cryptid category, same one as Sasquatch and Nesse. Louisiana does not have a breeding population of cougars, of any color. Last cougar found in the state was in 2009 and it was genetically linked to a population in New Mexico.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom