If you're scared - SAY you're scared!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    WLF is trolling you. Black panthers are right up there with Bigfoot. We have Choctaw folklore to thank for those big black cats. "black cougar" simply does not exist. The only black panthers in existence are black jaguars found in South America and black leopards that live in Asia and Africa. Their are some cats in central america who have a melanistic phase but they are small, less than 35-40lbs

It falls under the cryptid category, same one as Sasquatch and Nesse. Louisiana does not have a breeding population of cougars, of any color. Last cougar found in the state was in 2009 and it was genetically linked to a population in New Mexico.

Check your facts Mayo!

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/news/34503

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Well damn, I don't know how I missed that. Maria Davidson is authority on the subject and a credible source.

Sorry I went off on the black panther rant. I read the thread as black panther sightings not regular cougar/mountain lion sightings.

My explanation for the "black" panther theories/legends/lore would be the "melonistic" phase as well. Case and point is property where I hunt. There is a very noticeable increase in the number of solid black squirrels in the last two years alone. And I do mean, SOLID EBONY black!

Before that, we maybe saw one in a blue moon. And then maybe only once or twice the entire hunting seasons. This year I have seen at least 4 different squirrels in just the areas accessible (about a third of the property). So either, they can genetically transfer that imprint, or there is a "cause" for the rise in their numbers. By that logic, I would theroize that in the days of the Florida Parish Indians, which is where the term "Florida Panther" (The black one), originated; they may have actually saw some.

But I could be full of ****! :dunno:

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    My explanation for the "black" panther theories/legends/lore would be the "melonistic" phase as well. Case and point is property where I hunt. There is a very noticeable increase in the number of solid black squirrels in the last two years alone. And I do mean, SOLID EBONY black!

Before that, we maybe saw one in a blue moon. And then maybe only once or twice the entire hunting seasons. This year I have seen at least 4 different squirrels in just the areas accessible (about a third of the property). So either, they can genetically transfer that imprint, or there is a "cause" for the rise in their numbers. By that logic, I would theroize that in the days of the Florida Parish Indians, which is where the term "Florida Panther" (The black one), originated; they may have actually saw some.

But I could be full of ****! :dunno:

More than likely the latter... :biglaugh:

j/k

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I've already peppered one with a load of #6...This was before the 100k fine was put on the book's..
    So no harm no foul...

WLF is trolling you. Black panthers are right up there with Bigfoot. We have Choctaw folklore to thank for those big black cats. "black cougar" simply does not exist. The only black panthers in existence are black jaguars found in South America and black leopards that live in Asia and Africa. Their are some cats in central america who have a melanistic phase but they are small, less than 35-40lbs

It falls under the cryptid category, same one as Sasquatch and Nesse. Louisiana does not have a breeding population of cougars, of any color. Last cougar found in the state was in 2009 and it was genetically linked to a population in New Mexico.

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana

Who said anything about black panthers? The Cougar/mountain lion/puma range covers the entirety of the United States of America. I have personally seen tracks (wet sand, perfect prints) that were cat tracks, far too large to be bobcat (in the 3" width/length range) these tracks were looked at by multiple hunters on our lease (5000 acres between Kisatchie Natl Forest and Catahoula Lake). After looking around a bit we found deer tracks, and it appeared that the cat was hot on it's trail. Now, I don't know of any other large cats running around the United States that could have produced the tracks. You yourself stated that one was found in 2009... why would it be such a shock to find another, you think that one came by itself... just hanging out? lol

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    These are great! I been laughing my ass off. I fell asleep in a deer stand before daylight one morning only to be awakened by a squirrel cuddling up to my neck. I still don't know who was freaked out the most, but at least he didn't scream like a girl so his buds could hear him. Little bastard hung around barking me out for quite some time. Ida shot his ass too.... If I hadn't dropped my rifle.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    These are great! I been laughing my ass off. I fell asleep in a deer stand before daylight one morning only to be awakened by a squirrel cuddling up to my neck. I still don't know who was freaked out the most, but at least he didn't scream like a girl so his buds could hear him. Little bastard hung around barking me out for quite some time. Ida shot his ass too.... If I hadn't dropped my rifle.

That's awesome. Nice to start the day with a smile.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    I was told by a WLF to stop asking about it... lol Basically he was hinting that they clearly exist and are here, yet you "could" lose hunting rights on your land if they are "discovered" there as they are endangered?
    Really? So if we find a fictional animal on your property, you lose hunting rights?

Couldn't you simply not shoot it? I would think its like any myriad of non game animals. But what do I know.

I saw tracks from Nessie. Now I can't fish

OH NOES!

Sometimes when I read these whoppers it makes me want burger king

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    I have a story.
    One time I was in the deer stand and it was right before shooting time. I saw a dark shadow in the woods approaching my stand. In case it was a deer I didn't want to shine my light and spook it.

So I waited and luckily I didn't shoot! I would STILL be under the jail!

Know what it was???

It was a JBT wiping his ass with the constitution carrying an executive order banning all firearms and another executive order forcing Facebook to remove red jackets page. The JBT was wearing a twin towers maintenance crew jacket and carrying a bushmaster with 'Sandy Hook Prop' painted on the stock.

All of your worst fears, confirmed and rolled into one.

Last edited:

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    Really? So if we find a fictional animal on your property, you lose hunting rights?

Couldn't you simply not shoot it? I would think its like any myriad of non game animals. But what do I know.

I saw tracks from Nessie. Now I can't fish

OH NOES!

Sometimes when I read these whoppers it makes me want burger king

Huh? So now cougars are fictional creatures? It's what I was told by a warden. Basically, shut up about it. Shoot the messenger much?

I know, I know, you need to paint others as consipiracy theorists (as pointed out in your very next post in this thread, as well as a multitutde of other posts here on Bayoushooter) otherwise your life just wouldn't be interesting enough.

Last edited:

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    You CLAIM, that if you found said animal you would lose the ability to hunt.

And I simply do not believe any of your story.

Reading comprehension. I know, it seems to be a lost art. I posted the following. "Basically he was hinting that they clearly exist and are here, yet you "could" lose hunting rights on your land if they are "discovered" there as they are endangered?" Notice the question mark, I wasn't claiming that if you found said animal you would lost the ability to hunt. I was reiterating what I was told, and added a question mark suggesting that I'm not so sure... You can go check, the quesiton mark was in my original post as well.

Luckily, it's irrelevant to me if you believe my story. After your claim that cougars are fictional creatures, your opinion means squat to me (and likely the same to any other person who passed a science class in middle school).

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Walking back out of the woods at 2:30am (with only my headlight) after hunting rabbits at night with my bow. I felt strong thunderstorm winds upon my back - that's when I noticed a large black object was approaching me quickly from the rear. I could not confirm what it was, but the faster I moved forward - the faster it moved and it was gaining ground. When I reached the crossroads, it swiftly passed me and disappeared into the field across the gravel road. That's when I realized - it was a very large black trash bag flowing within the high winds. Scared the $h!t out of me - and YOU??

Dude.......no doubt about it...you seen a SQUACH.....Welcome to the Club.

In my BOBO voice of course.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    No, actually I was just adding to the converstaion, with an experience I once had. Not to be confused with de-railing a thread by adding nothing to it, much like you have done.

Ok, I'll bite. What's the WLF agents name that said stop. I know several. None infer or imply that garbage. I want to verify his stupidity.

Top Bottom