Mandeville "Hero" to be Prosecuted?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nathan Hale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Louisiana
    I wouldn't get too excited about this just yet. I'm not saying he won't face a grand jury, but those two articles don't exactly indicate that he will.
    I would want a reliable source that says "a grand jury is going to convene" concerning him; not a source that says "he was advised to get an attorney".
    (He was advised to get legal representation? By whom? Some local "know-it-all"?!)

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    we should crucify him for being a self righteous derp who got himself into a pickle.

Self-righteous - "having or showing a strong belief that your own actions, opinions, etc., are right and other people's are wrong"

the irony is you've shown your own self-righteousness in your comment above

Clearly, based on the definition of the word, we are all self-righteous so why act like this guy should be any different?

I don't see the problem of getting a license plate number, however, we should all take note that perhaps more ninja-skills should be used when obtaining the plate# so as not to trigger the "real derp". And I say 'real derp' b/c the real derp is the guy who got himself killed b/c he didn't know how to act.

And to those saying things like "i wouldn't donate to this guy b/c he should have minded his own business"...I'd say consider that this man could have a wife and kids who will no doubt feel the repercussions of your self-righteousness. Additionally, why be so callous towards this man? We all have varying degrees of when we would feel comfortable getting involved in the self-defense of others, so I'd cut this guy some slack since it doesn't appear he went looking for a fight.

As for me, I'll donate once it's shown completely necessary, meaning, if the grand jury moves forward with prosecution, I'll donate and post it here as proof.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Self-righteous - "having or showing a strong belief that your own actions, opinions, etc., are right and other people's are wrong"

Clearly, based on the definition of the word, we are all self-righteous so why act like this guy should be any different?

I don't see the problem of getting a license plate number, however, we should all take note that perhaps more ninja-skills should be used when obtaining the plate# so as not to trigger the "real derp". And I say 'real derp' b/c the real derp is the guy who got himself killed b/c he didn't know how to act.

And to those saying things like "i wouldn't donate to this guy b/c he should have minded his own business"...I'd say consider that this man could have a wife and kids who will no doubt feel the repercussions of your self-righteousness. Additionally, why be so callous towards this man? We all have varying degrees of when we would feel comfortable getting involved in the self-defense of others, so I'd cut this guy some slack since it doesn't appear he went looking for a fight.

Agreed!

The easiest route for everyone is to just let others fend for themselves. See an elderly man or woman get beaten in a park; tough ****! See a young girl getting sexually assaulted in a crowd? Screw her! Watch a burglar climbing in your neighbors window while they are at work? F**k him! See a suspicious carload of out of the ordinary folks canvassing your neighborhood? So what. And examples can go on and on!

Now, this particular guy may or may not have taken the "ideal" actions (and we in the public still don't know what the total facts are), but until it is determined beyond a reasonable expectation that he should have just walked away, he should get the benefit of the doubt for trying to be a "help" in society, instead if just another dummy for getting involved!

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

As for me, I'll donate once it's shown completely necessary, meaning, if the grand jury moves forward with prosecution, I'll donate and post it here as proof.

If the shooter was attacked while standing in line I would be more on his side. If I see a person leaving that was just acting that crazy I would not have got involved. Chances are if the shooter had just stood in line and payed for his items and not got involved the bad guy would have just drove off.

And I would say his wife and kids will feel the repercussions of his actions.

I feel if anyone needed to run after the truck to get the LP it was the store clerk. Why when the bad guy came back in to attack the shooter didn't the store clerk jump on the bad guys back? Seems that everyone who decided to not give chase or get involved will live a normal life.

I wish the best for the shooter and hope he wins his battles and can carry on with his life. I just feel his life is gonna be forever changed.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by

Agreed!

The easiest route for everyone is to just let others fend for themselves. See an elderly man or woman get beaten in a park; tough ****! See a young girl getting sexually assaulted in a crowd? Screw her! Watch a burglar climbing in your neighbors window while they are at work? F**k him! See a suspicious carload of out of the ordinary folks canvassing your neighborhood? So what. And examples can go on and on!

Now, this particular guy may or may not have taken the "ideal" actions (and we in the public still don't know what the total facts are), but until it is determined beyond a reasonable expectation that he should have just walked away, he should get the benefit of the doubt for trying to be a "help" in society, instead if just another dummy for getting involved!

:bigok:

Well said gentlemen

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    See an elderly man or woman get beaten in a park; tough ****! See a young girl getting sexually assaulted in a crowd? Screw her! Watch a burglar climbing in your neighbors window while they are at work? F**k him! See a suspicious carload of out of the ordinary folks canvassing your neighborhood? So what. And examples can go on and on!

I'm gonna have to throw a red flag here. Don't compare a helpless beating and sexual assault to somebody wanting to play Citizen Police.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I'm gonna have to throw a red flag here. Don't compare a helpless beating and sexual assault to somebody wanting to play Citizen Police.

Agreed, that some of them are legit reasons to interject one's self in a potentially deadly situation. But I threw the crystal clear in with the more cloudy to articulate varying degrees to which an individual may be motivated (or not), to get involved.

Remember, I was very critical of why this guy made that decision in the original thread. Hell, I still want to ask him that question!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Agreed, that some of them are legit reasons to interject one's self in a potentially deadly situation. But I threw the crystal clear in with the more cloudy to articulate varying degrees to which an individual may be motivated (or not), to get involved.

Remember, I was very critical of why this guy made that decision in the original thread. Hell, I still want to ask him that question!

The unfortunate result was something that could have been prevented. It WOULD have been prevented if he just let the guy go. However, we've already seen how many members here disagree and play the "What-If" game.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    The unfortunate result was something that could have been prevented. It WOULD have been prevented if he just let the guy go. However, we've already seen how many members here disagree and play the "What-If" game.

As more info comes out, I think you will see you are quite wrong, which is not surprising considering you have little info to go on.

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La

if he just let him go
    and you play the if game too. we will nerve know the "if" part of this because, the if didn't happen.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    if he just let him go
    and you play the if game too. we will nerve know the "if" part of this because, the if didn't happen.

If he let him go, it the events that happened... wouldn't have happened.

Something else would have happened. I don't play the "What If" game. What happened, happened. If it didn't happen, then it wouldn't' have happened. Get it?

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    If he let him go, it the events that happened... wouldn't have happened.

Something else would have happened. I don't play the "What If" game. What happened, happened. If it didn't happen, then it wouldn't' have happened. Get it?

no I don't get it you don't know what would have happen next because of the if no one knows what would have happen. he may have come back anyway. we don't know.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    no I don't get it you don't know what would have happen next because of the if no one knows what would have happen. he may have come back anyway. we don't know.

Let me break it down for you, in terms you can understand.

You became a Marine in 1987. That's what happened.
    If you didn't, then how could it happen?

He went and got the plate number. The guy followed him inside.
    If he didn't go get the plate number. The guy wouldn't have followed him inside.

If you don't get that. I can't help you.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by

Dave think through this mental execise with me.

You are in a resturaunt enjoying your lunch, and ypu begin to notice the guy in the neighboring both is belligerently drunk. Then he begins to talk ugly and use foul language towards the waitress loud enough for the whole resturaunt to hear. I think its safe to say based on many of your post you wont get envolved at this point.

Now add in the fact that he is behaving this way infront of your small children. What now?

Then he starts throwing things maybe you begin to wonder if the next time he throws something if it could strike you or your child. Anything now??

But wait maybe the waitress is your wife, daughter, sister, friend. Would that get you envolved?

I'm truely interested to see at what point the behavior is unexceptable enough to force your hand.

I know where mine is. When he begins to throw things that could harm anonther who has not shown equally agressive behavior is when I am forced to envolve myself. Now I'm hands off at this point but I'm a using manners and asking him to calm down and to stop behaving in such a reckless manner. And if he begins to exibit physically agressive behavior toward me I would have to then begin escalating my actions.

Now if my kids are around I have to start politely asking when starts getting loud and belligerent.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I missed the part about someones life being endangered. The aggressor was also unarmed. I see very little justification for deadly force.
    The perp was not committing a felony, so the intervention by someone OCing was not necessary. In the end, a lawfully armed citizen injected himself into a minor altercation that resulted in deadly force.
    He could have avoided this altogether by simply being a witness and waiting to see IF the altercation with the clerk would turn deadly. Instead, he needlessly provoked a new confrontation that led to deadly force. If you are going to carry a gun as a citizen, then you have a duty to avoid petty confrontations with idiots.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I missed the part about someones life being endangered. The aggressor was also unarmed. I see very little justification for deadly force.
    The perp was not committing a felony, so the intervention by someone OCing was not necessary. In the end, a lawfully armed citizen injected himself into a minor altercation that resulted in deadly force.
    He could have avoided this altogether by simply being a witness and waiting to see IF the altercation with the clerk would turn deadly. Instead, he needlessly provoked a new confrontation that led to deadly force. If you are going to carry a gun as a citizen, then you have a duty to avoid petty confrontations with idiots.

How do you know this? Surely you are not suggesting getting a plate number is provcation.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom