My running log, by JR1572, hijacked by AustinBR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    You're dehydrated.

Drink more water.

I'm FAR from dehydrated. My shin splints caused my calves to slightly cramp up. Then I tried a different stride to keep my shin splints from being annoying and that put too much stress on the back of my calves thus causing them to call it quits. I think I will stick to biking and circuit drills for a few days :)

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I'm FAR from dehydrated. My shin splints caused my calves to slightly cramp up. Then I tried a different stride to keep my shin splints from being annoying and that put too much stress on the back of my calves thus causing them to call it quits. I think I will stick to biking and circuit drills for a few days :)

Shin Splints can be resolved by stretching (and training) your calves. Put one foot on a stair as if you're making a triangle by bridging the gap between the floor and the step. Lean forward slowly putting weight on the step (top of your foot), itll stretch the calf and provides instant relief for splints. Next; stop running on concrete, and loosen your shoes. You should -almost- be able to kick your shoes off in one good flick if you tried.

I went to the rowing machine this week to take a break from the run.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Shin Splints can be resolved by stretching (and training) your calves. Put one foot on a stair as if you're making a triangle by bridging the gap between the floor and the step. Lean forward slowly putting weight on the step (top of your foot), itll stretch the calf and provides instant relief for splints. Next; stop running on concrete, and loosen your shoes. You should -almost- be able to kick your shoes off in one good flick if you tried.

I went to the rowing machine this week to take a break from the run.

Yeah I used to run a lot and learned all of that the fun way. Usually I don't get them too bad, but yesterday I was runnin a different pair of shoes. Another thing that always helped was putting on two pairs of socks. Extra cushion and then more to keep your loose shoes on haha.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Well today was interesting.

Went to work after four hours of sleep. Came home, had a protein filled lunch. Went out to the biking trails and got halfway done when my buddy took a spill and ripped a ligament in his shoulder. Got him home and then I went for a two to three mile jog around my neighborhood with one of the pups. Got home and did circuits of weighted pullups (real ones with differing grips), pushups, ab work, and jumping jacks. Every third set I replaced pushups with dumbbell chest presses. I feel accomplished.

Any of you fellow BayouShooter have a fun day?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA

Went to work after four hours of sleep. Came home, had a protein filled lunch. Went out to the biking trails and got halfway done when my buddy took a spill and ripped a ligament in his shoulder. Got him home and then I went for a two to three mile jog around my neighborhood with one of the pups. Got home and did circuits of weighted pullups (real ones with differing grips), pushups, ab work, and jumping jacks. Every third set I replaced pushups with dumbbell chest presses. I feel accomplished.

thats a pretty good circuit for a home workout. you should feel accomplished

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I've got to pace myself, but I've always been a sprinter. Even when I was bodybuilding I did HIIT, so speed trumped distance.

I can run the ~8.5mph for ~3:00. if I could ride it longer it'd be my 7min mile. I did notice that my sprint speed is 1.25mph faster than a month or so ago - I think all this morning running is helping. (dropping a few pounds probably helping as well)

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la

How do you add weight to your pull ups? I do sets of 15, but would like to try less reps with more weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    How do you add weight to your pull ups? I do sets of 15, but would like to try less reps with more weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used chains in highschool like rabbit mentioned, but now I have no chains at home so I crafted a new method. I found an old gym bag that looked bad and I just stick the dumbbell in the main compartment. Then I put the shoulder strap over my shoulders and squeeze the bag between my knees for a little less tension from the strap.

I do sets of eight with whatever weight I use followed up by seven more immediately with the same grip. I probably do 10 sets like this.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I used chains in highschool like rabbit mentioned, but now I have no chains at home so I crafted a new method. I found an old gym bag that looked bad and I just stick the dumbbell in the main compartment. Then I put the shoulder strap over my shoulders and squeeze the bag between my knees for a little less tension from the strap.

I do sets of eight with whatever weight I use followed up by seven more immediately with the same grip. I probably do 10 sets like this.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

thats creative. ill have to mention that to a few of my "home workout" buddies.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    thats creative. ill have to mention that to a few of my "home workout" buddies.

I have also used a backpack before too. I like the weight being under me as opposed to behind me. Definitely a different workout though.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    1.5 miles in 11.5 minutes. It's freaking hot outside. Any of y'all running?

Top Bottom