The **** you heard people say about firearms...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I told someone about how someone broke into my truck and stole one of my handguns, someone overheard me and said "thats why we have so many gun problems, because owners don't keep track of their sh!t" I thought it was funny how it was my fault someone stole something from me...

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I told someone about how someone broke into my truck and stole one of my handguns, someone overheard me and said "thats why we have so many gun problems, because owners don't keep track of their sh!t" I thought it was funny how it was my fault someone stole something from me...

Of course it's your fault! Just like it's the gun show's fault that criminals are buying machine guns without a background check! Jeez... Didn't you know that criminals are using .50cal heat seeking bullets to bring down planes?!?! You can just walk in a gun show and buy 10 of them if you wanted! :mamoru:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRQqieimwLQ

Goatwhiskers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In a GS one day, group of guys discussing big game calibers. Conversation came to a halt when the resident expert claimed the all round best caliber is the 8mm Mauser. "Shoots table flat for 300yds, then the bullet starts to rise. All I gotta do is hold my sights on hair out to 1000yds and it's dead right there." GW

No, it wasn't my shop. I don't allow people that stupid in the door.

Last edited:

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    Guy sits at the bench next to me on the firing line.

He is equipped with a basic Ar-15 in .223/5.56 with a red dot on it.

RO is behind a spotting scope and says, " hey man, where ya shootin?"

Guy behind the rifle says, " That black target out at 800."

yes, he was serious.

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Guy sits at the bench next to me on the firing line.

He is equipped with a basic Ar-15 in .223/5.56 with a red dot on it.

RO is behind a spotting scope and says, " hey man, where ya shootin?"

Guy behind the rifle says, " That black target out at 800."

yes, he was serious.

So was he hitting anything?

Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    I have a far lefty next door neighbor that is afraid of my house catching on fire because of my ammo I have stored. I decided not to tell her about the oxygen and acetelene bottles, propane cylinders, gasoline, laquer thinner, and enamel reducer. Some things are best left unsaid.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I have a far lefty next door neighbor that is afraid of my house catching on fire because of my ammo I have stored. I decided not to tell her about the oxygen and acetelene bottles, propane cylinders, gasoline, laquer thinner, and enamel reducer. Some things are best left unsaid.

How does your neighbor know that you store ammo? Let alone the fact that they are far left.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland

If I had a far left neighbor I would have fun daily irritating his ass.

Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    How does your neighbor know that you store ammo? Let alone the fact that they are far left.

I have been observed loading my vehicle to take my kids to the range. Plus I lent some ammo to some friends that owned a gun but had only a minimal amount of ammo, if any, and wanted some immediately following Hurricane Katrina. We lacked any means of contacting any emergency assistance and there were rumors of looting in the nearby subdivision which we were seperated only by a minor drainage canal. And I guess I did not conceal that fact as well as I should have.

Last edited:

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Overheard a guy at the Hammond Academy asking the gun counter dude if they had "any of that 22 long range ammo".
    Apparently that's what the LR has meant all these years, go figure.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge

I read your post and waited twenty four hours to be sure I gave a calm reply. You see, you've hit a raw nerve. You didn't say how the gun was stolen from your truck. If you reply that the thief had to use bolt cutters or a sawzall to get your gun, then all that follows is retracted.

Otherwise...No it's not your fault that your truck was burglarized. Humans have been stealing from one another since they first stood upright, not your fault. However, you are responsible for another gun in circulation in the hands of bad people because you left it out for them to take. Knowing that thieves exist, you should have taken precautions to secure the gun. Leaving it unsecured in your truck was irresponsible. And to be clear, if the thief did not have to use bolt cutters or a sawzall, then you left it unsecured.

But, as bad as that is, you had to compound the problem by being cavalier in denying your culpability. Your post ridicules the person who pointed out your fault. You will probably ridicule this criticism as well. So be it. The gorilla in the room remains this - that gun didn't have to be out there to be used in the mall parking lot against my wife or your mother. You could have, and should have prevented it. At the very least you shouldn't have laughed it off in an internet post, characterizing the criticism as "s@#$ you hear in a gun store."

Unlike you, I do not think anything about this is funny. If you can't be responsible enough to secure your guns, then please try to be ashamed of it enough to not brag about it.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I read your post and waited twenty four hours to be sure I gave a calm reply. You see, you've hit a raw nerve. You didn't say how the gun was stolen from your truck. If you reply that the thief had to use bolt cutters or a sawzall to get your gun, then all that follows is retracted.

Otherwise...No it's not your fault that your truck was burglarized. Humans have been stealing from one another since they first stood upright, not your fault. However, you are responsible for another gun in circulation in the hands of bad people because you left it out for them to take. Knowing that thieves exist, you should have taken precautions to secure the gun. Leaving it unsecured in your truck was irresponsible. And to be clear, if the thief did not have to use bolt cutters or a sawzall, then you left it unsecured.

But, as bad as that is, you had to compound the problem by being cavalier in denying your culpability. Your post ridicules the person who pointed out your fault. You will probably ridicule this criticism as well. So be it. The gorilla in the room remains this - that gun didn't have to be out there to be used in the mall parking lot against my wife or your mother. You could have, and should have prevented it. At the very least you shouldn't have laughed it off in an internet post, characterizing the criticism as "s@#$ you hear in a gun store."

Unlike you, I do not think anything about this is funny. If you can't be responsible enough to secure your guns, then please try to be ashamed of it enough to not brag about it.

So the only way to secure a firearm in your vehicle in your opinion is to have it locked inside of a safe box? How many vehicles does it require a sawzall or bolt cutters to break into and steal a handgun?

I unfortunately used the wrong word when I said "funny" in my previous post, I should have said "ironic" or "confusing". I think there is nothing funny about a stolen firearm in the hands of criminals. I do know my mistake at leaving a firearm in my truck overnight, and have since corrected my mistake by removing my firearm when I get home every night. So claiming I deny responsibility for the incident is assumptive and has no validity. I did NOT intend to make light of stolen firearms, but instead of the assumption this individual made that it was MY fault without recognizing ANY responsibility of the criminal who perpetrated the theft.

But while we are on the topic. If you do not perform a background check every time you sell (privately) a firearm, how do you know the firearm you just sold won't end up being used in a crime? Would it be (partially) your fault for the crime since you sold a firearm to a potential criminal? Furthermore, is it the fault of firearm manufacturers for producing a firearm that allows high capacity magazines that can then be used to kill police, children, students, etc? Isn't it irresponsible for them to produce a firearm with those kinds of capabilities? I am NOT trying to make light of what happened to me or your opinion on the matter, what I am trying to say is this. While the responsibility of my firearm being stolen is partially mine, a criminal broke into my vehicle and stole my firearm and that criminal is who is responsible for any crimes committed with that firearm. Would I feel remorse if I discovered my firearm was used to murder someone? Absolutely and that fact would stay with me for the rest of my life, but I still don't believe anyone should pin the crime on me for having a firearm in my vehicle the night someone decided to break into it.

In order to maintain this thread's theme, I suggest we continue this in PM or by starting another thread on the subject.

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    Here's a good one... I was on a gun forum one time and somebody said something like,
    The gorilla in the room remains this - that gun didn't have to be out there to be used in the mall parking lot against my wife or your mother. You could have, and should have prevented it. At the very least you shouldn't have laughed it off in an internet post, characterizing the criticism as "s@#$ you hear in a gun store."

And I was thinking, "Really??? I don't see people mad at a car owner because their car wasn't secured well enough and someone stole their car and likely was speeding away and could have killed a school bus full of children."

:mamoru:Good times!

Last edited:

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    "Really??? I don't see people mad at a car owner because their car wasn't secured well enough and someone stole their car and likely was speeding away and could have killed a school bus full of children."

Kind of the point I was getting at. Criminal steals a car, gets in high speed police chase, ends up killing civilian or LEO, owner of car gets blamed for not having a boot on the car to prevent it from being stolen???

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    We were in Conroe the weekend the Sheriff's deputy was gunned down in cold blood pumping gas in his car. I was trying to follow the story on my phone. Some idiot in the media had said he was shot with 14 clips! I read it three times! No matter what the media was trying to say, the fact that a officer of the law with a family was gunned down with out a fighting chance.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I was on Bayou Shooter and someone suggested that if someone doesn't chain or bolt down a gun and its stolen its the owners fault.

Now since I post here semi-anonomusly I dont mind saying that I carry my gun in my truck console. My employer has a no gun policy so it stays in the console all day. Now its concealed in the console and once its there it stays there so no one knows its there. I dont lock my console or even latch it all the way because that would slow my access to it in the event I need to draw it.

So maybe I shouldnt be allowed to own a gun because who really needs one anyways.

Requiring me to secure my secured wepon (hidden in a locked truck) is like Andy telling Barn to keep his one bullet in his shirt pocket.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I was on Bayou Shooter and someone suggested that if someone doesn't chain or bolt down a gun and its stolen its the owners fault.

Now since I post here semi-anonomusly I dont mind saying that I carry my gun in my truck console. My employer has a no gun policy so it stays in the console all day. Now its concealed in the console and once its there it stays there so no one knows its there. I dont lock my console or even latch it all the way because that would slow my access to it in the event I need to draw it.

So maybe I shouldnt be allowed to own a gun because who really needs one anyways.

Requiring me to secure my secured weapon (hidden in a locked truck) is like Andy telling Barn to keep his one bullet in his shirt pocket.

Logic.
    Not everyone will get it.

I'm in a similar situation and do the same.
    Out of sight, in a locked vehicle is securing my firearm.
    Unloading my firearm and run a cable lock through the trigger guard or placing it in a box under the seat makes it more likely that a potential thief will see me securing the firearm and still won't prevent them from taking it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom