Why is a $3K 1911 better than a $389 Glock 19?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Oddly enough, the 1911 was reliable enough 100 years ago in these conditions:

images

It DOES need more maintenance than the Glock (One reason I switched) another is that it was not designed to modern manufacturing methods.

I have not found the safety's to be a disadvantage, nor it being unreliable.

It does not have as durable a finsih (easily correctable) it does not have the capacity (Although I have a P14 Limited that DOES) and takes more maintenance.
    The Subcompact glocks are the REAL reason to carry a full sized or compact!
    (there is much to be said for a backup which uses the same mags)

JMHO

Yeah, and for a long time flathead V8s that got about 7mpg and required rebuilds every 20K miles were considered "reliable enough" for cars. But I don't see anyone driving those to work daily.

Even if they run well, I directly relate maintenance requirements with reliability. If a machine requires more maintenance to perform as expected, it's less reliable.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I love my m&ps/glocks, and see no reason to spend more than $600 for a handgun(for me--no competition). I do not care a bit what my guns look like..

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Yeah, and for a long time flathead V8s that got about 7mpg and required rebuilds every 20K miles were considered "reliable enough" for cars. But I don't see anyone driving those to work daily.

Even if they run well, I directly relate maintenance requirements with reliability. If a machine requires more maintenance to perform as expected, it's less reliable.

I agree. However a 1911 is 'reliable enough' like a Glock is 'accurate enough'.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Not arguing with you man just this one point in general.
    It doesn't matter how well you "shoot" that fancy gun if after you draw the gun it malfunctions and costs you are a loved ones life. No reason for someone to say, I choose it because I shoot it best. Take a 1000 rounds maybe less; get formal training and I guarantee that you can shoot these new "undesirable plastic" gun real well.

Good point. I just assumed that a 3k pistol would run reliable. Guess I shouldn't lol

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Oddly enough, the 1911 was reliable enough 100 years ago in these conditions:

images

It DOES need more maintenance than the Glock (One reason I switched) another is that it was not designed to modern manufacturing methods.

I have not found the safety's to be a disadvantage, nor it being unreliable.

It does not have as durable a finsih (easily correctable) it does not have the capacity (Although I have a P14 Limited that DOES) and takes more maintenance.
    The Subcompact glocks are the REAL reason to carry a full sized or compact!
    (there is much to be said for a backup which uses the same mags)

JMHO

It was the best choice 100 years ago. That doesn't make it reliable, that makes it the best choice during the infancy of flight, the internal combustion engine, and so on. Just like flight and engines have evolved, improved, and became more reliable, so has the pistol.

Not arguing with you man just this one point in general. It doesn't matter how well you "shoot" that fancy gun if after you draw the gun it malfunctions and costs you are a loved ones life. No reason for someone to say, I choose it because I shoot it best. Take a 1000 rounds maybe less; get formal training and I guarantee that you can shoot these new "undesirable plastic" gun real well.

Spot on.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Where do I line up to buy $389 Glocks? I have never actually purchased a 1911, but I have 3, all with 4 figure sticker prices. You can get great deals on 1911's trading "tacticool" guns for 1911's.

I don't think it is an either or proposition. Personally, the S&W 3914 has made it to the top of my carry rotation, followed by an M&P pro but I wouldn't have any issues carrying my 1911's if I ever get around to making some 1911 holsters for myself. The safety really doesn't bother me on the 3914, but I only use it for decocking, the DA/SA trigger is nice on that old smith.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I can agree with that, but which is more important in a carry weapon?

It's a rhetorical question, I know what you carry. :D

Yea, but that's just because I'm lazy!:mamoru:

I wore the finish offa Kimber Pro carry (NOT a series 2) and I've taken several shooting classes with a Older Springfield loaded...

I'd be Ok (Except for capacity) carrying either... I'd just clean them more.

Glocks are to AK's what Ar's are to 1911's.

ETA: Let me say that I have NOT had these 'reliability issues' with 1911's... I'm convinced it's because
    1. I don't buy crap
    2. I don't mod them more than night sites... it's everybody 'improving' them that causes issues.

JMHO

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    It was the best choice 100 years ago. That doesn't make it reliable, that makes it the best choice during the infancy of flight, the internal combustion engine, and so on. Just like flight and engines have evolved, improved, and became more reliable, so has the pistol.

Spot on.

I used to hear my grandpa says "they don't build em like they used to". After being around mechanical stuff, and job being very mechanical, I say, there's a reason they don't build Em like they used to.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I used to hear my grandpa says "they don't build em like they used to". After being around mechanical stuff, and job being very mechanical, I say, there's a reason they don't build Em like they used to.

Exactly. Just like everything else, there is nostalgia and realism.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I have never owned a 1911, but my bro's a 1911 but and I've shot the **** out them. Here's my experience:

1911's have a different grip angle, so some shooters prefer that.
    1911's tend to be a little thinner in the grip.
    For some people, 1911's "point" better (whatever that means).
    For a lot of shooters, the 1911 makes a good crutch for their trigger control issues.
    Steel frames make many guys feel like its a solid reliable platform.

Not so much on this forum particularly, but in Many Many shooters minds, the .45acp is still the ultimate defensive cartridge, and don't you dare try to tell them any different.

There is a marketable difference between a $500 para and a $2k STI. (Trigger feel, looks, parts fit etc) and guys are willing to pay that.

I will surrender the fact that 1911's are more accurate, but if I can hit a 12" plate @ 50 yards while standing on a cinder block with a stock glock barrel and shitty ammo, you should at Least be able to do the same before you start talking about accuracy.

Now, on to glocks.

Glocks are easy to take apart.
    Glocks are easy to fix and parts are standardized. No "fitting" required.
    Glocks rarely need to be taken apart and fixed, far less so than 1911's.
    I will run 2-3k rounds through my glock before I clean it. My bro's 1911's tend to have problems long before then.
    Glocks are more accurate than me. Anything more accurate than a glock is wasted on me.
    Glocks have less perceived recoil.
    Glocks have more Lego style options.
    Glocks have more capacity.
    Glocks do not require the hours and hours of safety manipulation training.
    Glocks will not fail when junk gets in the beavertail safety or if I fail to get a good firing grip.

Which is the better pistol for anything (possible exception of competition, though I run a glock)? Glock.
    Which is the cheaper pistol? Glock.
    Does it matter? No. Many shooters will never get past needing the crutch of a 1911 style trigger to be accurate.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    My 1911 is a Sunday driver.
    My Glock is a 3/4 ton work truck.

They both have their place and fill it equally well.

Exactly.

I have a Honda motorcycle that is my daily driver.
    Always works but it's nothing special- enjoyable ride and gets me there every time.
    Deals with New Orleans streets just fine and I don't worry about pollen covering it if I get to work early in the morning.
    And maintenance, well, what maintenance; a little oil and a filter clean now and then and she's good.

Ahhh, but I used to have a Ducati.
    Desmo valves that need adjusting every month- so often that I bought a $2000 valve adjust kit in order to save money versus bringing it to the dealer so frequently.
    It hated New Orleans streets- very twitchy on rough surfaces- but shined on the straightaway.
    It was not just enjoyable to ride, it's downright addictive.
    And even looking at it parked was a pleasure since those Italians know how to infuse art with their machines.
    Finally sold it since I realized that my relaxation rides were becoming double digit affairs, and that's not good for one's wallet or safety.
    Miss it, though.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Without even reading the previous comments to this thread......a $3k 1911 IS NOT better than a G19...or vice versa when sitting side by side. IMO the G19 is a better combat pistol...period. I'm not biased,I like 1911s too. As a matter of fact,almost everyone hear knows I'm a revolver guy. However,I know that a good reliable pistol with no levers and controls to get in your way physically and mentally and a tough,reliable gun that has no ammo feeding issues,and is fairly accurate and is the perfect size for concealment or duty use would warrant the title...best combat pistol. Such is the Glock 19.

I've shot and owned 1911s and it is definitely a different animal. Is it any better than a G19? No. Why? It's heavier. You have to manipulate two controls to use the gun. It only carries 7 or 8 rounds +1. Emergency field stripping is not as easy. Unless you shoot it everyday,mastering a single action trigger doesn't come overnight. OF course,there are die hard 1911 fans out there that live and die by the 1911....I'm not talking about you all.....ya'll do your thing,it's all good. I'm talking about the novice that may contemplate this decision...and you know who you are.

Yeah,overall the Glock 19 is a better combat pistol because 9 times out 10,that's what most folks think of when shopping for a semi auto pistol. The other 10% know what they want and stick to it,no matter what it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom