Why is a $3K 1911 better than a $389 Glock 19?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    I own five 1911's and love them all! However I actually can't tell you why..... My Dad gave me two of them. I got started with the 1911 because of him. I learned how to shoot and work on 1911's from him. He was a Navy Aviation ordnancemen in WWII. He worked on anything from sidearms up to 20mm. So I suppose he was a bit biased.... :rolleyes:

So back to the question..... why is a 3k 1911 better than another gun or just worth it in the first place? I'd love to know that as well. None of mine are close to that and I cant believe they are less of a gun because they didn't cost as much. I have worked them a bit though. 1911's are inherently much more expensive than other guns.... why? Well, I think because 1911 owners are willing to pay for them. Thats what happened to me. Maybe if Glock owners would be willing to pay a grand or more, Glock would then start making a model that cost a grand..... just sayin' I've never shot a Glock before so I have no idea what I may be missing. Who knows, I may sell a 1911 and buy a Glock. Well, probably not... I'd just add it to the mix! :)

Anyway, I just wasted a few minutes of everyones time and never answered the question either. :eek5:

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    This analogy is pretty simple.

High $ 1911 = High $ luxury automobile

Glock = Toyota Tercel

They both have the same control set, if you can drive one you can drive the other. They will both get you where you want to go.

You can go through life perfectly happy driving a Tercel. However, at some time in your life you may reach the point that you can afford to splurge and get a high end automobile.

It will be a more comfortable ride. It will be more costly to maintain.

This is about as close an analogy as I can give. Is one better than the other? Depends on your mission.

If your mission is to sling copious amounts of lead downrange at a target without much thought to your equipment, or to have a tool to defend you and your loved ones lives and property, it doesn't get any better than a Glock, period.

You can spend 10x the money and not have any more reliability.

If you want to enjoy a more relaxed shooting experience, enjoy a crisp trigger, love the feel of the recoil of an all steel gun, then you want a high end 1911.

Is one better than the other? It's all subjective.

This analogy is a fail. A high end Merc is a demonstrably better car than a Tercel. A better analogy is a '67 Chevelle to a Honda Accord. You may love the Chevelle and love driving it but on no way is it a better car than the accord.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    If you have one and want to sell it, it will get you more money than a glock would.
    It's more accurate.
    It has more nostalgia.
    It has a better trigger.

When it comes down to it, those are the categories where it's better than a Glock.

If you want a gun that's accurate enough, has tons of options, better than average capacity, minimal maintenance, generally reliable all in the best value.... Glock is for you.

I don't own a Glock as it's lower on my list of guns to buy. I carry a 1911 on occasion because I like shooting it and like the gun beyond it just being a tool. Most of the time, I carry a 5 shot Taurus because it packs power, conceals well, is accurate, and goes bang when I pull the trigger..... I guess that invalidates my opinion. :(

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    This thread shouldn't even have price as a comparison IMNSHO. What matters is performance (reliability & effectiveness in this case). Those who care about performance shouldn't get hung up on price. The Glock wins hands down. Oh and.........9mm is the true and only way.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    This thread shouldn't even have price as a comparison IMNSHO. What matters is performance (reliability & effectiveness in this case). Those who care about performance shouldn't get hung up on price. The Glock wins hands down. Oh and.........9mm is the true and only way.

Then why even bother with a Glock?

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Because it is a better gun in almost every way.

You missed what I bolded in his quote: "Those who care about performance shouldn't get hung up on price."

With all of the options out there today, Glock is a fine choice, but there are options that beat Glock.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    HK does everything Glock does but better..... besides price.

Not my words but HK even beats Glock at this!

Broke another trs on P30.

I am coming to conclusion that P30's trigger return spring is not more than 7500 rounds-durable part. I broke my first one at 5700 live rounds, didn't count dry fire then. Today I broke another one, 4250 rounds of live fire and 3500 dry fire cycles on that one. I was going with a common recommendation of preventative replacement at 10K rounds, dry fire including, and I am going to drop this to 7000 now. My gun had a trigger job by GGI, don't know if this is contributory, or I am simply toxic to these things.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    HK does everything Glock does but better..... besides price.

I had a USPc .40. Got rid of it. Why? Glock was better. Why? Easier to take apart, easier to find parts, Glock broke less often. Glocks also don't have superfluous levers and controls.

Glocks also have a higher center of mass : bore height ratio.

Just my opinion.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Can the HK take the abuse a Glock can and still be just as reliable?

I don't know. I haven't seen anyone try to use a HK as a hammer. I guess if you are going to abuse your firearm, then better play it safe and get a Glock. For most people, the HK will out perform a Glock.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I had a USPc .40. Got rid of it. Why? Glock was better. Why? Easier to take apart, easier to find parts, Glock broke less often. Glocks also don't have superfluous levers and controls.

Glocks also have a higher center of mass : bore height ratio.

Just my opinion.

Then can I enjoy my 1911, N Frame, and 5 shot snub?

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    As a LEO you should know that a 1911 would handle nailing up wanted posters better than something made out of plastic.

Damn.... as a 1911 owner I should be ashamed of myself. :wtc:

Now THAT is a truth. I'm turning my glock in right now.

Gus, no, you may not.
    Assimilation is inevitable.
    Resistance is futile.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom