Why is a $3K 1911 better than a $389 Glock 19?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Guys, why is a $3K 1911 a better fighting gun than a $389 Glock 19?

No one has yet to give a reason that I consider legitimate or even reasonable. The whole "feels better" reason is lame in my opinion.

Also, $389 is the individual LEO price that I pay for Glocks. That's why I use that price.

JR1572

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA

No one has yet to give a reason that I consider legitimate or even reasonable. The whole "feels better" reason is lame in my opinion.

Also, $389 is the individual LEO price that I pay for Glocks. That's why I use that price.

JR1572

Brah, it's Been answered. It ain't. Never was.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA

JR1572

for many people its a preference argument, its what they wanna buy so they buy it. Nothing really wrong with that, tis america after all.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    The same reason some people drive a Ford while others drive a GM . They all say that their vehicle is better and the other guy says THEIR reasons are " lame " . In the end it doesn't really matter .

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    We both have the same opinion. I'm just surprised that no one has come out and given a reason why the 1911 would be a better option.

JR1572

For the sake of argument I'll give one.
    If you need to take a 35 yard upper chest shot and you can't manipulate a safe action trigger well enough to be confident in your shot placement, a 1911 is your handgun of choice.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    We both have the same opinion. I'm just surprised that no one has come out and given a reason why the 1911 would be a better option.

JR1572
    I own both . I prefer my Para Ordnance 1911 over my G19 . Whether you like it or not , it " feels better " in my hand , points more naturally , and is more fun to shoot . That's MY opinion . We could debate the issues of grip safety or manual safety or even mag capacity but I doubt anybody here is going to change their opinion no matter how many times you ask the question .

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    i do that all the time, i save people and im a hero

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363466348.231932.jpg

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    If John M. Browning and Gaston Glock had a fistfight in their prime, who would win? :confused:

DS727

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Denham Springs
    This analogy is pretty simple.

High $ 1911 = High $ luxury automobile

Glock = Toyota Tercel

They both have the same control set, if you can drive one you can drive the other. They will both get you where you want to go.

You can go through life perfectly happy driving a Tercel. However, at some time in your life you may reach the point that you can afford to splurge and get a high end automobile.

It will be a more comfortable ride. It will be more costly to maintain.

This is about as close an analogy as I can give. Is one better than the other? Depends on your mission.

If your mission is to sling copious amounts of lead downrange at a target without much thought to your equipment, or to have a tool to defend you and your loved ones lives and property, it doesn't get any better than a Glock, period.

You can spend 10x the money and not have any more reliability.

If you want to enjoy a more relaxed shooting experience, enjoy a crisp trigger, love the feel of the recoil of an all steel gun, then you want a high end 1911.

Is one better than the other? It's all subjective.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I would've compared the 1911 to a delorian. Cool back in the day, pointless features, not capable of performing as well as newer less expensive cars.

DS727

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Me personally, I love the .45 caliber cartridge. I don't enjoy shooting a Glock.

Since the HK45 has the most God-awful trigger ever devised by a human being, and is entirely too expensive for what you get. I split the difference and roll with a P220.

8 Rounds of .45 ACP goodness. A smooth trigger. No external safeties to content with. Far greater reliability than the 1911.

The 1911 of old, the warhorse, was such a sloppy piece of machinery that it would certainly function under conditions that most modern 1911's with tight tolerances won't.

It was the Glock of it's day. There was nothing else, period. A little bit of the 1911 lives on in each modified Browning locking system. He got it right. Time goes on, people have improved the original design.

New materials make things lighter and more durable. I think John Browning would be very happy with the Glock, or any of the current high quality handguns which are derived from his original design.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I think it's beautiful that 3k 1911s are even available if you so choose to own one.

I sure do like my Glocks for everyday carry. But the 1911 has been and will remain America's Handgun- in an M1 Garand sort of way.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I think it's beautiful that 3k 1911s are even available if you so choose to own one.

I sure do like my Glocks for everyday carry. But the 1911 has been and will remain America's Handgun- in an M1 Garand sort of way.

Wait, the M1 is America's rifle? I thought that was the M4/AR-15

Top Bottom