Why would you want kids?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I'm impressed. Seven pages fueled by a guy who is clearly trying to deal with emotional issues rooted in an unhappy childhood.

Group therapy w/ guns nuts = (hopefully) viable solution.

Very true. Historically and traditionally, I will be considered an outcast for thinking marriage is an outdated institution and that I have zero responsibility to create offspring in a world with no lack of orphans. My ideas and thoughts do not mesh with many of "the hive" in this case, and so of course, those who also differ have PM'ed me, and those who don't, have made both good, and passive-aggressive, and sometimes just snide comments in the thread.

Either way, I had a great time hanging out with my Dad last night and we discussed a bit of the ideas that I have expressed in this thread. He seems happy that he had me, but had he not had me, I think he would have been just fine in life, as well, as he said he had a child: Because he felt it was "the next step", he loved my mother (like a lot of guys here love their wives, which is why I don't put any stock in "know your wive" yeah...lol. You can try...), and because he felt that a child would complete the home/family unit and he wanted the joy of raising one.

In short, reading between the lines, I think he had me because he had what he thought was a good wife, a solid home, and wanted a child to enjoy and raise. Well, he got the child, the happy home was destroyed, and his statement to me was: If I had any say in it, I never would have met your mother except I got you out of it.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    This thread makes me want to punch myself in the face.

That is all.

Thanks man. I got a good giggle out of this.

To the OP again, about your statement that your dad would have been fine with or without a child, I think that's a prerequisite for doing a good job rearing a child - or for that matter in having a good marriage. People who need a child or need a spouse are going to have a hard time of it.

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks man. I got a good giggle out of this.

To the OP again, about your statement that your dad would have been fine with or without a child, I think that's a prerequisite for doing a good job rearing a child - or for that matter in having a good marriage. People who need a child or need a spouse are going to have a hard time of it.

I agree with this statement.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Wish I had gotten in on this before 15 pages of responses, but to the OP:

Kids are great. They **** you off, disgust you, embarrass you, take up your time, and cost you a ****-ton of money. Every now and then, though, they say something so sweet and innocent, warm your heart, make you so proud in some way that it makes up for everything else a hundred fold.

But kids aren't for everyone. If you just don't "get it" and don't think you'd be/want to be a good parent, you're probably right. That said, parenting isn't a magic gene passed down generation to generation. I strive to be a better man than my dad (If I'm half the man my dad is, it will be a feat) and I want my kids to be more of the "man" that I am.

littlebob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    A Hundred years ago we had kids to help us as they were growing up, teach them life lessons to make them responsible citizens and take care of us when we got older. I guess those ideals are gone. A good daughter will do everything she can to keep you out of a nursing home and son will show you your new home. As a father of two teenagers I am at the low point of child raising, but I have hope that I did a good enough job. No matter what the outcome I have Great memories that I would have never had without them.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    A Hundred years ago we had kids to help us as they were growing up, teach them life lessons to make them responsible citizens and take care of us when we got older. I guess those ideals are gone. A good daughter will do everything she can to keep you out of a nursing home and son will show you your new home. As a father of two teenagers I am at the low point of child raising, but I have hope that I did a good enough job. No matter what the outcome I have Great memories that I would have never had without them.
    I agree with that. I wouldn't live with an adult offspring, though. I couldn't do that to them.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Very true. Historically and traditionally, I will be considered an outcast for thinking marriage is an outdated institution and that I have zero responsibility to create offspring in a world with no lack of orphans. My ideas and thoughts do not mesh with many of "the hive" in this case, and so of course, those who also differ have PM'ed me, and those who don't, have made both good, and passive-aggressive, and sometimes just snide comments in the thread.

Either way, I had a great time hanging out with my Dad last night and we discussed a bit of the ideas that I have expressed in this thread. He seems happy that he had me, but had he not had me, I think he would have been just fine in life, as well, as he said he had a child: Because he felt it was "the next step", he loved my mother (like a lot of guys here love their wives, which is why I don't put any stock in "know your wive" yeah...lol. You can try...), and because he felt that a child would complete the home/family unit and he wanted the joy of raising one.

In short, reading between the lines, I think he had me because he had what he thought was a good wife, a solid home, and wanted a child to enjoy and raise. Well, he got the child, the happy home was destroyed, and his statement to me was: If I had any say in it, I never would have met your mother except I got you out of it.

No. You'll be remembered because after 15 pages its clear you are in fact an attention whore and do not desire any help, you just needed a platform to babble from. You win.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    No. You'll be remembered because after 15 pages its clear you are in fact an attention whore and do not desire any help, you just needed a platform to babble from. You win.

Hey, it's cheaper than psychotherapy -- which is apparently what the OP needs in order to deal with his childhood frustrations.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I think we need to come up with a sarcasm smiley.

Merry Christmas, Reg.

I don't think they make a sarcasm smiley. But I think this should work nicely, don't you?

qbbpoiarhcb4pmha4bxt.gif

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport

Actually, I've learned a lot about myself, others, and look at things a little differently, after this thread. That was the kind of "help" I was after, and indeed I got it. Even the bitter nay-sayers were of help.

In a huge stroke of irony, I also took care of a patient the other day who was bitter and depressed and felt that they had nothing to live for, and during discussion about those feelings, they expressed that others had grandchildren to spoil, and that they lived for them, and they did not have grandchildren. Of course this was not 100% of the problem, but apparently it did contribute to their depression. Considering I have NEVER heard something like this from a patient in roughly 3 years, I find it ironic.

Last edited:

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    Actually, I've learned a lot about myself, others, and look at things a little differently, after this thread. That was the kind of "help" I was after, and indeed I got it. Even the bitter nay-sayers were of help.

GREAT! So it was a blessing for all.

So can this thing end now and go back to being a gun forum.

Way to much drama!

jdessell

Womb-Raider
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    NOLA
    For thousands of years it has been man's natural urge to have sex with a woman. He is naturally driven to have sex with her so hey can have children and their genes pass on. Now, here in 2012, the question finally gets raised. Next question to tackle : Why do people drive on a parkway and park in a driveway.

Top Bottom