Academy Sports no longer getting any of my hard earned

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I have no problem with going to the grocery store . I'm retired and have nothing but time . I usually eat breakfast at the diner across the street first . Sometimes I'm not really sure what I want and I need to " browse " . :eek3:
    Same here, I have no problem doing my grocery shopping, nor with the self check out. I go early before all the natives get moving. I am a morning person so going shopping at 0630 is no big deal whatsoever. I did order my groceries one time just to try it out as they offered a one time discount to create an account and order. Get up early, drink my coffee, read the news on line, check email, hit a couple forums, check out the stock market, some days go for a walk to SLU, or ride around town listening to my sat music. Been doing it for 12.5 years (early retirement), life is pretty darned good :)

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    For some reason, I LOVE making groceries. Ordering all my groceries would deprive me of something I love to do.
    I'm the cook in our house and I also do/did most of the grocery shopping. I would say I ever so slightly prefer going to the store and picking everything out myself, but logically it makes more sense to order it.

I live 15-20 minutes from the store. Let's say 40 minutes of driving, round trip. And when I'm there, sometimes the self-checkout line could be 10 minutes long. Add to that however long I'm there finding groceries, walking throughout the store, and the entire trip could be 1.5 - 2 hours long (if it's a large grocery haul).

So, by ordering online I'm saving 2 hours of my time + gas/wear on my SUV.

2 hours a week is a 100+ hour savings per year.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    I'm the cook in our house and I also do/did most of the grocery shopping. I would say I ever so slightly prefer going to the store and picking everything out myself, but logically it makes more sense to order it.

I live 15-20 minutes from the store. Let's say 40 minutes of driving, round trip. And when I'm there, sometimes the self-checkout line could be 10 minutes long. Add to that however long I'm there finding groceries, walking throughout the store, and the entire trip could be 1.5 - 2 hours long (if it's a large grocery haul).

So, by ordering online I'm saving 2 hours of my time + gas/wear on my SUV.

2 hours a week is a 100+ hour savings per year.
    I'm about the same. Just enough drive to keep the battery charged. Average one full buggy but sometimes there's a 2nd pass through the store on the same trip. I just love it and I don't really know why. Between "full hauls" there are occasional small visits for some things like fresh vegetables, heavy cream or similar. Beer runs don't count. LOL

Rman

Free on weekends
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    City of Central
    Been an interesting thread, and I don't have a problem with vendors wanting to protect against law suits, etc. However, in the case of the theft of a firearm, well, now you have another criminal on the streets, with a gun... Hmmmmmmm...

Stonecutter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2023
    Alexandria La
    Apparently they choose Felonious criminals over their own morally righteous employees. I wish I would have known this before, I could have spent my money with businesses that care about doing the right and proper thing.

Honestly, it's beyond me why Anyone would shop there, never ever had a positive experience in that store regardless of what I was shopping for, if you read the local reviews on Academy, there's not one positive! says a lot about how thy conduct themselves and run their stores.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    This thread makes me miss the good ole days of Winn Dixie when teens wanted bagger and cart attendant jobs because they enjoyed the shoplifter fights! A manager would stop the shoplifter and then the teens would pile on and beat the tar out of the thief. Every trip to WD had the potential of great Mid-South Wrestling style entertainment. Yes, one of the clerks even used the Iron Claw!

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Y'all still go to grocery stores in person?

I paid a single annual fee and have all of my groceries delivered in a refrigerated truck owned by the grocer. No lines, no driving to the store, no waiting, and most importantly no time spent shopping. Just placed an order for tomorrow for groceries for the week: Took 5 minutes as it remembers all your past purchases. Added all the times to the cart, picked a 1 hour window for the groceries to arrive, and clicked go. Way less time than driving to/from, walking around, scanning my own groceries, and etc.

Thanks @southerncanuck for the idea ^^
    Man, that's like making love to an inflatable love doll.....something is just missing?

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Honestly, it's beyond me why Anyone would shop there, never ever had a positive experience in that store regardless of what I was shopping for, if you read the local reviews on Academy, there's not one positive! says a lot about how thy conduct themselves and run their stores.
    I've never really had a bad experience . The worst thing was them not having what I was looking for and that's not unusual pretty much everywhere .

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    I've never really had a bad experience . The worst thing was them not having what I was looking for and that's not unusual pretty much everywhere .
    In all things, no one can be everything to everyone. If a retailer doesn't have what I'm looking for I go somewhere else in my hunt. The internet is a powerful tool.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I've ordered a couple times from Academy on line. Frequently offer free shipping and a competitive price. Ordered a single Browning 9mm pistol mag, free shipping right to my mailbox. Another time 9mm ammo w/free ship.
    Like Bolt said above, the internet is a powerful tool both for learning, entertainment, and shopping.

I'm sure most of you here know there are multiple internet search engines for both firearms and ammo. Lowest prices and shipping costs, and live inventory too. Some here may not know. An example below.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What's not to love? She's quiet minus all the squeaking. LOL

I'd bet he's too high class for those blow up things. If anything, he'd have a Real Doll.
    brooklyn_rd2_config1_4-1376003754.jpg

V.Taltos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2023
    North Louisiana Swamps
    Unfortunately there’s nothing we can do. Absolutely nothing. Accept it. They divided the country to ensure its demise. Rights have been stripped. It’s a money grab. And lawyers found a loophole by paying off judges and implementing grey areas in law. If they kept it black and white? We wouldn’t having these discussions. But a criminal gets to appeal a conviction. Why is that? Accept the fate given by the 12panel whether right or wrong. It’s done. But no let’s appeal. Waste millions on appeals for what? What exactly does it do? Nothing.

And then I keep hearing let’s vote em out. Really? Vote them out? And who do you think we’ll replace them? A spitting image. That’s who? Voting hasn’t worked. If voting worked? The country would be better off wouldn’t you think? After all, I guess we’ve just been voting wrong every election for the past 70+ yrs? Behind the curtains what you don’t see? Is republican and democrats are the same ppl at the same dinners sharing the same laughs, creating the same laws and stealing the middles class is money to create rich and poor. No one gets into politics thinking they’ll make a difference. They get in to do the same thing everyone else is doing. Stealing money. Helping out one another in the group. Crooked lawyers , crooked judges, crooked politicians. And theirs not a single judge out there who’s never taken a bribe. Find one and I’ll call him a liar and ask him to prove his innocence like us peasants have to do when a criminal inflicts harm towards us and we retaliate…
    Many people call our two party system 'The Duopoly", two wings of the same vulture. I agree. Aside from minor differences, both sides vote the same way on foreign policy, the climate scam, removing Constitutional rights and giving corporations more power. I honestly don't think they'd allow any real outsider to hold any office with real power to change things for the better. That said, I do think the Republic form of government is a good one. However, we all have been asleep at the switch, allowing the corrupt bastards to slowly change things for the worse so that the government is basically ineffective and useless when it comes to anything that benefits American citizens. I know this isn't a popular view.

pptpe45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    They stopped getting my $ when they wouldn't use my lifetime CHP for a firearm purchase. They seemed to be unaware that the law had changed. Went right to Bass Pro and made the purchase with it.
    I am a bit confused. Did you have to fill out the form 4733? Did they call the NICS for your background?

Top Bottom