Ask Advantage Group

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

cajun_64

Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    I'm poor, so cost of ammunition, travel, and tuition is my biggest factor.

I also work weekends and try to make comps when I can afford it, so scheduling can be a problem. Work>training>competitions.

Instructor. I want to know my instructor is affiliated with something, been certified by someplace as an instructor, and has a solid background in the course material. I want proof that he's a good instructor, either by seeing his credentials or talking with people who've been to his class.

In that order. TCO, Scheduling, Instructor Quality.

Certifications mean what? You paid a fee and passed a test?

For me, talking to people who has taken the training means more than any certifications they may have. We all need value for our money.

On a side note, I have taken gunfighter 1 with AG last May. I have been shooting guns most of my life and all of my adult life, and at aged 47 learned I didn't know much of jack.

I do plan on taking it again this year. I have a cabin local to the range available and would be willing to bring others from the Lafayette area. If someone is interested, take a look at their schedule and get with me and hopefully we can work something out on the cheap.

JNieman

Dush
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette

For me, talking to people who has taken the training means more than any certifications they may have. We all need value for our money.

On a side note, I have taken gunfighter 1 with AG last May. I have been shooting guns most of my life and all of my adult life, and at aged 47 learned I didn't know much of jack.

I do plan on taking it again this year. I have a cabin local to the range available and would be willing to bring others from the Lafayette area. If someone is interested, take a look at their schedule and get with me and hopefully we can work something out on the cheap.

I'm down for that, but I won't be available to take another class until September and later, this year, probably.

returningliberty

Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA

Certification means you've had x number of hours of contact training in the material, have had however many years in the field as required by the certification, and are qualified to teach the material by taking and passing the course.

Why does nobody understand this? POST Instructor, Military Instructors, and some private institutes require all require this.

jmeng

Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Cost and schedule have been my hangups. Thats obviously after I was convinced of the benefits to professional training, mainly from posts on BS. Since then I've planned a couple of times to either take Gunfighter 1 or Vata's Intro to Tac Pistol. Seems like every time the classes fall on a weekend thats a no go for me.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    Anyone who has been in any of those fields will tell you certifications are silly.

Sexual harassment certifications, safety certifications, racial diversity... Etc

They are classes you take, and for the MOST part don't even have a test to pass/fail.

I know a guy who prints them.

JNieman

Dush
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Certification means you've had x number of hours of contact training in the material, have had however many years in the field as required by the certification, and are qualified to teach the material by taking and passing the course.

Why does nobody understand this? POST Instructor, Military Instructors, and some private institutes require all require this.
    Probably because I know plenty of "instructors" who are ****, are shitty teachers, and some that can't practice what they preach?

I don't put any stock into certifications - it only tells me what type of environment they've been molded by, to an extent. Nothing says they /retained/ what they did to pass the certification exam, either. Above all of that, nothing says they are any good at communicating the material to others and will be a good vessel to transfer knowledge from. It just means they took a test and passed it some time in the past.

cajun_64

Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville

Certified as an instructor does not equate to being a good or even decent teacher.
    I am sure they all do require certification. And it will be in a system that they approve of. Doesn't mean that system works for everyone, just one that works for them.

Law1911

Dec 15, 2009
    Denham Springs
    AG has a ? For y'all; in order list the top 3 things that prevent you from attending a class. Any class not just ours?

Thanks for the response on the resume'. Again, I wasn't trying to question cred of anyone I just wanted to hear what you had to offer.

As to your question...Cost is a big factor. An even bigger factor for me would be training applicable to the law enforcement officer. I never feel like the once a year requal comes close to actually training. Although it's gotta better the past few years with some moving and shooting, we still don't get enough. I try to shoot on my own as much as I can afford though.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Feb 22, 2008
    Thanks for the response on the resume'. Again, I wasn't trying to question cred of anyone I just wanted to hear what you had to offer.

As to your question...Cost is a big factor. An even bigger factor for me would be training applicable to the law enforcement officer. I never feel like the once a year requal comes close to actually training. Although it's gotta better the past few years with some moving and shooting, we still don't get enough. I try to shoot on my own as much as I can afford though.

We have trained several dozen State, Federal, and Local LEOs and I have yet to hear that we made them a worse shooter. Come check out a class.

Hitman

® ™
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Considering a Colt 6920 is a Good ‘Base Model’ to start from.

What would be some (must have accessories) to go with it.

We read a lot flak, about a lot of flak, by way of must have Angle-Grips/T-Handles/Finger Grooves/BCG/Triggers/Mag Release Buttons/ etc etc.

But where is the line drawn between enhancing functionality and/or getting in the way with just too much?

To help narrow down the application, let’s just talk about a Rifle for Home Defense/Weekend Trainee
    and Not Security/Operator use, of which I am neither.

Thanks

SpeedRacer

Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The only necessities are OWLS. Optic, White Light, Sling. Yeah, I totally just made that acronym up. :rockon:

Those are a minimum on a defensive rifle, and the reasoning for each should be pretty obvious. Beyond that is where things get murky and very personal. Nothing else is *needed*, and while I like to keep things pretty standardized and simple I'm not against doodads if they offer genuine advantages with NO sacrifice in reliability or unneccessary weight increase.

My personal "enhancements":

Modular tube forend - lightweight, increase "workspace" for support hand, free floated barrel, improved mounting options for accessories. Personal fav is the Troy VTAC Alpha, other good options are DD MFR and the new Midwest tube.

Vertical Foregrip - never really thought I needed one but recently added one based on advice from guys I trust. I *kinda* got it until the VTAC Street Fighter class, where it was utilized 100 different ways to do a lot of things that would have been much harder or impossible without it. Also offers a physical reference for more consistent hand placement. Personal fav is a chopped down Magpul VFG.

BCM Gunfighter CH - probably one of my most "frivolous" additions, but I do like it. Easier, more reliable manipulation of the charging handle is not a bad thing but hardly a necessity. I prefer the Mod 4 with the smaller latch.

Stock and PG upgrade - these are obviously very personal decisions as these are what most makes the rifle "fit" you. Some guys do just fine with the standard A2 grip and M4 stock. I much prefer a SOPMOD stock, it offers much more consistant and improved cheek weld and helps balance the rifle better. I use a MOE PG because they're simple and cheap, but just about anything works better than the A2 grip IMO.

And that's as far as I go. Other gizmos may make things easier/faster, but I draw the line at changing the manual of arms. For example the BCM CH is a nice upgrade, but functions just like the standard CH. in contrast, things like the Magpul BAD lever may make reloading a bajillion times faster, but you are also completely changing a pretty significant manipulation and also introducing potential reliability concerns. No thanks.

Hitman

® ™
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    OWLS - I like it. Now send me a pic of the this rifle :naughty:

The BAD Lever. I've seen it, and can see the usefulness of course, I just wonder how long it takes to get used to it. I am naturally skeptical about putting anything inside the trigger guard, BUT the trigger.

Seen anyone at the Training Grounds using them?

I know the slings basic, but what's your preferred one. I've never found one like I used in the Marines. (Should have brought it home) Have looked everywhere! The only other one I have has buckles and adjustment tabs and quick release **** that all seems to feel like I'm wearing damn Mardi Gras beads or something. I don't like it.

Lights - Thumb Switch or Tape-Switch?

tikanni

May 22, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    OWLS - I like it. Now send me a pic of the this rifle :naughty:

The BAD Lever. I've seen it, and can see the usefulness of course, I just wonder how long it takes to get used to it. I am naturally skeptical about putting anything inside the trigger guard, BUT the trigger.

Seen anyone at the Training Grounds using them?

I know the slings basic, but what's your preferred one. I've never found one like I used in the Marines. (Should have brought it home) Have looked everywhere! The only other one I have has buckles and adjustment tabs and quick release **** that all seems to feel like I'm wearing damn Mardi Gras beads or something. I don't like it.

Lights - Thumb Switch or Tape-Switch?

I used one for the class over the weekend. I like it, but everybody is different, and has there opinions. Find a friend with one, and try it out. If you like it, then buy one.

SpeedRacer

Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Several people use the BAD lever. I've never seen one explode or anything and I can see the attraction, it just goes against my mantra. I like that all the motions and manipulations I'm practicing and drilling into my head are universal, not just for MY rifle with specific doodads on it. Someone that trains pushing a lever with their trigger finger to drop the bolt will do the same under stress with every other rifle as well. Kinda sucks if that fancy little lever isn't there for whatever reason. Also, it seems to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Your support hand is off the rifle anyway during a mag change, so you don't gain a whole lot by dropping the bolt with the firing hand. Smacking the bolt release after loading a fresh mag takes what, .2 seconds?

Slings...basic adjustable two point. VTAC sling or Emdom Gunslinger are the only two I like.

I really like a Surefire X300 mounted at 12:00 if your setup allows it. Other than that I prefer push switches, never been a fan of tape switches.

Just remember this is all my opinion, which will vary greatly from other opinions. I'm pretty boring when it comes to guns, I just like stuff that works. Nate can tell you better what will break and what won't, because he's great at breaking stuff. Trent is the doodad expert, and I can assure you his opinions would be mostly polar opposite of mine.

Here's my main bitch...
    vupedubu.jpg

SpeedRacer

Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Yea Nate said he respond tonight.

Who's the Top Rifle for? Scope?

Another shooter at the VTAC class. It's a 1-6 variable optic (I think Leupold), all the cool guys are using them now. If I had the money to spring for a good one and the time to train with it I'd probably seriously consider one too.

doc ace

Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Why not iron sights vs optic at a minimum for defensive purposes? It really pisses me off seeing guys slap on optics and no iron sights just in case. I'd say iron sights/light/sling or else it'd be like putting a laser on top of a revolver.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom