Bayoushooter Hunting Lease?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Honestly, it wont work like that. You either get good hunting land or a range. Not both, unless you have ALOT of acreage. Good hunting land has to be managed as such.

Think BZ.....

I haven't managed hunting land before, so I don't know my butt from a hole in the ground on this issue, but this isn't going to be the buffer zone. 20 families would use it rather than everyone. Even so, the BZ has traffic very rarely. I say this, because when I go out there during the week I hardly ever see a soul. Normally there's about five hours of shooting once every two weeks.

Having a shooting range is somewhat important to me, as is a place where I can take my family to camp. My wife is about to give birth to our first, and things like this crop up in my mind now :rolleyes:

I never thought I'd hear myself saying stuff like that...

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Honestly, it wont work like that. You either get good hunting land or a range. Not both, unless you have ALOT of acreage. Good hunting land has to be managed as such.

Think BZ.....

He speaks the truth. Unless you have 300+ acres, a decent range and the ability to hunt is pretty much out of the question. I don't think we can find a lease that would be suitable for a range, because let's face it, it would take a lot of work to put together a decent range. We are lucky to have the BZ, it's a whole in the ground, we don't have to create and maintain berms. I would love to have a lease of about 20-50 acres that I can hunt every now and then or just go out there and hang out, pitch a tent, and get away from society for a couple of days.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    He speaks the truth. Unless you have 300+ acres, a decent range and the ability to hunt is pretty much out of the question. I don't think we can find a lease that would be suitable for a range, because let's face it, it would take a lot of work to put together a decent range. We are lucky to have the BZ, it's a whole in the ground, we don't have to create and maintain berms. I would love to have a lease of about 20-50 acres that I can hunt every now and then or just go out there and hang out, pitch a tent, and get away from society for a couple of days.

Can you safely shoot a rifle in a 50 acre area?

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Guess it really depends on what/who your neighbors are.

We could always contract out to the Corps of Engineers to sell them dirt for the levees. They'd make us a nice hole in the ground for a range. No seriously if we could buy a tract that has the type of dirt they want they'd pay us bank for it. We'd all make a pile of money, and we'd have a really first-class range at the end of the day.

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I know alot of people sell timber for $900/acre. We could recoop some startup costs from that. Not sure what timber they buy at that price though.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I haven't managed hunting land before, so I don't know my butt from a hole in the ground on this issue, but this isn't going to be the buffer zone. 20 families would use it rather than everyone. Even so, the BZ has traffic very rarely. I say this, because when I go out there during the week I hardly ever see a soul. Normally there's about five hours of shooting once every two weeks.

Having a shooting range is somewhat important to me, as is a place where I can take my family to camp. My wife is about to give birth to our first, and things like this crop up in my mind now :rolleyes:

I never thought I'd hear myself saying stuff like that...

Managing means, cutting/maintaining trails (bushhog), building/repairing stands, planting food plots every year ($$$) (tractor work, discing, spreading) , etc. It takes considerable work to have a successful and productive hunting club.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Unless your buying the land, chances are you land lord would NOT be cool with you removing/moving large amounts of dirt or cutting timber so you can forget that.

You have to base your membership on the size of the lease. if someone wants to join but they don't hunt they shouldn't have the right to give their "hunt" to someone else. Same is true if for what ever reason you just can't seem to get away and hunt much during the season. It's member driven for a reason, you supposedly get along, not so with your sisters baby daddy.
    There have to be tight rules about guest,family and all that.
    Its also a LOT of work and it has to be equitable or folks will get the red ass. OK, they will anyway but you get the idea

Just some random thoughts

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I think that realistically we won't be able to get members to do much work to maintain/manage the land, so maybe a "productive" hunt club might be out of the question.

southernpride72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2007
    Lafayette
    I am liking the ideas here. I would be interested in a place that I could camp, shoot, and have access to hunt. I like to hunt squirrel, hog, duck, and deer (in that order). You really only need to maintain land for deer hunting. Then again, it's a misnomer to say it is needed (its just easier/more productive).

If you are looking to clear land and sell soil, you need to make sure you would be square with the permiting beforehand. Remember that mitigation is necessary in some cases. I would be able to screen (using GIS) any location in question.

I am still in college, so cost would be somewhat of an issue for me. I like the discussion. Lets keep it rolling

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    You get a lot more hogs if you feed them.

I think it might be reasonable to consider a two-tier system by which some would pay to have an ownership stake while others would pay a lesser amount to lease "useage rights". This would allow the lower-income BayouShooter members to have access to this LLC. I think it's important to make this accessible to all of the BS membership if they want. It's not ONLY about the money. That's just a nice perk.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    I think that realistically we won't be able to get members to do much work to maintain/manage the land, so maybe a "productive" hunt club might be out of the question.

Not true if they are seriouse about hunting. It's not something you only doo during deer season. Its much more than that.

You get a lot more hogs if you feed them.

I think it might be reasonable to consider a two-tier system by which some would pay to have an ownership stake while others would pay a lesser amount to lease "useage rights". This would allow the lower-income BayouShooter members to have access to this LLC. I think it's important to make this accessible to all of the BS membership if they want. It's not ONLY about the money. That's just a nice perk.

We have no right to associate it with BS, other than thats where we met.

And while I'm not opposed to what you describe it would take a frickin huge place to pull it off. Your potentially talking a lot of people, that will not work, IMHOP

Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    we wouldnt have to make a leeve /burm all the way around the properity just the backstop for the area we deem for the range/ shoting area.trees used to clear a area out could make a backstop with dirt build up infront of it.also areas not safe to camp in.ie behind the shooting burm..

deer hunting might be a problem because of all the extra work involved,keeping area cleared,,but squirll rabbit and hog if the animals are in the area wouldnt be a problem..an most hunter go early in the morning and in the evening we can set times on the range during hunting season...so not to disturb the hunts..we can also designate area to camp in during hunting season

in off hunting season the woods can be used for paintball games,open camping..and of course shooting range..

if we do this we should also get a set of board members..and a set of rules and regs..this should be a members only thing,,a place for us,,limit the number of guest.and guest only with members present.even if member of BS dosnt buy into the land we can get membership dews to join the club,,something like 25$ every 3 months..to help pay up keep..or pay for what you use,,so much for the range,so much for camping,,nothing huge just a little to kick in the kitty to help maintain property..hunter kitty can help pay for feed plot to attract animals..what not..

we would need someone to be treasurer,,someone to help organize events,so things dont over lap...it can be done,but its gonna take a group that really wants it, to work together,and help police the come and go members...

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I guess we better start defining things to get a pitch, how much land? maximum price? maximum number of partners?.... etc. Someone help me here.

Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    not all members need to be owners in the land..but a board or over see commitee should be made of the owneing members,to make sure they stay true to their comentments since it is their money....trusted non owner members could be appointed positions to help and just like this sigt we can have basic members and premium membership for diffrent prev.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom