help selecting a concealble 9mm handgun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

MadJax

Pragmatist
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2014
    Covington LA
    "If this^ is what you really believe, and unless you are competing with aggressive deer and squirrels, you are going to die quickly in a survival situation. Particularly when the foe shows up with a rifle and a chest rig full of 30 round mags!*"

I realize that usein a bolt action rifle is inadequate to a aemi or fully automatic rifle i however dont feel i have the money to purchase a quality rifle and on my own limted survival experience from being strandered past two hurricanea i can say the mosin if nothing else whould have provided some peace of mind to the threat of looters and gators., i primarily got it as a range gun but think itd more than enough to handle any animal and better than nothing if faced with ARs but your right i plan to upgrade eventually.

I will not carry it without a license as i dont want any legal trouble.
    I no glocks are almost universally recommended but i have never liked them myself granted i have only shoot a few different ones.
    What i get from you is that an older big name brand should meet my needs thanks for your input

Last edited:

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    LC 9

LC9NewInBox_Med.jpg

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    What i get from you is that an older big name brand should meet my needs thanks for your input

I'm not sure what the term "older" has to do with anything; but let me be clear on one thing. If all you have is a bolt action rifle as opposed to having a bat, then yes by all means. Further, if all you have is a bat as opposed to brick, and so on.

A person's situation is specific to the person. It's when a person says, I have a Sig P229 but it's too big to carry, so I'll get a .380 7 shot pocket pistol because it's easier to conceal/carry. Those considerations make no sense to me.

You are looking for a 1st pistol. It will be another defense gun whether you decide to get a CC permit or not. Get the most bang for your buck! In other words, get the best made pistol you can afford after you've made the physical considerations.

Remember, you said the things that were most important to you were: 1) Reliability, 2) price, 3) accuracy, and 4) capacity. If you get a tier 1 gun you have #'s 1 & 3 covered right off the bat. If you get a used one for the price you can meet, you have #2 whipped. If you find a high capacity, tier 1 gun that fits your admittedly small hands, for the price you can afford, you are golden! ;)

And guess what? I'll bet you can!

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Ruger sr9c or taurus pt111 g2
    I love my glocks but those are my "bang for your buck" choices.

I shot one of those tauri the last week. That is an immeasurably shitty pistol. Garbage trigger pull, light strikes on primers, bad sights, meh capacity, and the toe on the mags gets in the way of a good grip. It was just horrible

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I shot one of those tauri the last week. That is an immeasurably shitty pistol. Garbage trigger pull, light strikes on primers, bad sights, meh capacity, and the toe on the mags gets in the way of a good grip. It was just horrible

Taurus' are not tier 1 pistols! And I have two; if I could get past my predisposition of hoarding guns, I would sell them. :mamoru:

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    I'm not sure what the term "older" has to do with anything; but let me be clear on one thing. If all you have is a bolt action rifle as opposed to having a bat, then yes by all means. Further, if all you have is a bat as opposed to brick, and so on.

A person's situation is specific to the person. It's when a person says, I have a Sig P229 but it's too big to carry, so I'll get a .380 7 shot pocket pistol because it's easier to conceal/carry. Those considerations make no sense to me.

You are looking for a 1st pistol. It will be another defense gun whether you decide to get a CC permit or not. Get the most bang for your buck! In other words, get the best made pistol you can afford after you've made the physical considerations.

Remember, you said the things that were most important to you were: 1) Reliability, 2) price, 3) accuracy, and 4) capacity. If you get a tier 1 gun you have #'s 1 & 3 covered right off the bat. If you get a used one for the price you can meet, you have #2 whipped. If you find a high capacity, tier 1 gun that fits your admittedly small hands, for the price you can afford, you are golden! ;)

And guess what? I'll bet you can!

^^^^^^ Cant argue your logic Sir !

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Classic Taurus owners face.

When they see a Taurus function.

:rofl: That's a good one, Sir!

In all fairness to some Taurus owners, I bought a P92 way back in the mid/late 80's. It's never had any issues. It's like holding an Old St Louis brick in my hands, but it's never had any issues.

Last edited:

visco

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Pearl River
    Beretta PX4 sub compact fits all your requirements except maybe the small hands. Academy in slidell has them in stock. Try the hand fit before you buy. $519 + tax.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    FWIW I was not interested in a glock handgun for a long time due to the ergonomic issue, and not shooting them worth a dang the few times I had access to one. After owning a couple other carry handguns and having problems with them, I decided to try a glock 19, and try to get used to shooting it. After a few hundred rounds, I found the grip angle, while not immediately inherent, very suitable for fast shooting, and have become very comfortable with the g-19. I don't, within reason, consider price as a factor when considering a carry gun, but I still wouldn't trade it for any other handgun as a primary carry gun, as I don't think there is anything practical that a more expensive gun can do. The gun fits every one of your criteria besides the fact that you don't think it feels comfortable. I would suggest finding a friend with one or renting one at a range before you discount it, because for reliability, accuracy, capacity, price, ability to be used as a carry gun/car gun/home protection gun, and ability to run all kinds of ammo, you are hard pressed to find a gun that does it better than a glock-19.

Last edited:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Another vote for the M&P Shield if you plan on carrying it. If you want a high cap nightstand gun, the M&P 9 or 9C, or the Glock line are good options, if you like the Glock grip angle.

Bust out that Mosin with a bayonet, and I think most people will run. :eek3:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I could've told you before even the first post that the majority of the people here would recommend the GLOCK 19.

I think that would be the answer for almost anything around here.
    What do you like on a cheeseburger? G19
    What revolver would you recommend? G19
    What processor should I get in my new computer? G19.

:)

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    "If this^ is what you really believe, and unless you are competing with aggressive deer and squirrels, you are going to die quickly in a survival situation. Particularly when the foe shows up with a rifle and a chest rig full of 30 round mags!*"

I realize that usein a bolt action rifle is inadequate to a aemi or fully automatic rifle i however dont feel i have the money to purchase a quality rifle and on my own limted survival experience from being strandered past two hurricanea i can say the mosin if nothing else whould have provided some peace of mind to the threat of looters and gators., i primarily got it as a range gun but think itd more than enough to handle any animal and better than nothing if faced with ARs but your right i plan to upgrade eventually.

I will not carry it without a license as i dont want any legal trouble.
    I no glocks are almost universally recommended but i have never liked them myself granted i have only shoot a few different ones.

Madjax,

Just a few FYI's for you. Just because you are not old enough to get a concealed carry permit (yet) does not mean that you cannot carry it. In Louisiana you do not have to have a CHL (concealed handgun license) to carry or have the gun with you. You just cannot have it concealed under clothes or such. So you can keep the gun in a car or can carry it on a belt holster. Both of what I just mentioned aren't arguably the best idea, but they are still legal.

I do have a few questions for you. What do you plan on /doing/ with this pistol that you plan on buying? Where do you plan on keeping it? Do you plan on shooting it often? Have you thought about holsters? Do you plan on carrying it ever? Will it just be a house gun?

Austin

MadJax

Pragmatist
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2014
    Covington LA
    It would mainly be a range gun and I plan on shooting it 2 or 3 times a month.
    I'd keep it in a nightstand most of the time but also in my cars glove compartment.
    I haven't thought about holsters yet., I plan on carrying it occasionally though specifically dangerous areas but not regularly so it would be more of a house gun.

Having said that I'd like a gun that could function in a SHTF scenario even though I think one is unlikely.
    I'd like something on the smaller end because I have small hands and if I had no options would be able to carry it without a holster.
    I have shoot only a few handguns but tend to shoot better with the smaller ones rather than the full size although the one who owns them has VERY big hands and has told me it may be more the grip than the actual size of the gun.
    I have no other point of reference to compare to.

MadJax

Pragmatist
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2014
    Covington LA
    I could've told you before even the first post that the majority of the people here would recommend the GLOCK 19.

I think that would be the answer for almost anything around here.
    What do you like on a cheeseburger? G19
    What revolver would you recommend? G19
    What processor should I get in my new computer? G19.

:)

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah when I asked I was hoping for more variation maybe it's my fault for not directly saying I don't like glocks (I know is sacraligous to many)
    when I ask people in person this they mostly say glock, m&p , or ruger

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom