help selecting a concealble 9mm handgun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dr Elliot

Breeder of Deer Dogs
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Metairie
    Humm how do you clear a jam if a revolver jams is it as easy as tap rack?

Also as someone new to handguns the simple way to avoid it going off is to keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

What about drop safe?

How about manipulation of a safety during a intense moment when your body is full of adrenaline?

7 rounds enough for multiple attackers?

Good questions Hattrick 22. Let me answer:
    The only 2 real dangers of a revolver jam are 1) a squib load that manages to get the bullet out the cylinder, but not out the barrel; or 2) a very dirty gun not allowing the cylinder to turn. Both of which are equally bad in an auto and not likely to be cleared with a simple "tap rack." I actually had the latter happen during some high volume competition shooting, and I was able to turn the cylinder by hand and continue the match.

While I totally agree with staying away from the bang switch, otherwise intelligent people continue to make that stupid mistake.

Drop safe is accomplished in modern revolvers with transfer bars between the hammer and firing pin, as opposed to the older guns with firing pins on the hammer. In the auto, I use the half cock position.

I prefer not to engage the safety. While it's very easy to release, it is often forgotten in the excitement of an emergency, as well as in a hunting situation.

Every soldier and LEO was satisfied with 5-6-7 round capacity, until John Browning made the High Power. Other than the imminent Zombie Apocalypse, there's likely little occasion to shoot more than 5-6-7 people. And if the odds are that bad, a few more rounds might not do you any good anyway.

Dr Elliot

Breeder of Deer Dogs
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Metairie
    As for the rest of the rebuttals, I stand by my arguments. Please remember the original situation. The discussion was started by a young shooter looking for a carry gun, who has no experience with a handgun. I don't consider a Moist Nugget to be an adequate training device to prepare for a Glock or the like.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    As for the rest of the rebuttals, I stand by my arguments. Please remember the original situation. The discussion was started by a young shooter looking for a carry gun, who has no experience with a handgun. I don't consider a Moist Nugget to be an adequate training device to prepare for a Glock or the like.

I honestly wouldn't know where to begin a rebuttal. Your advice was quite commonly held back in the late 1980's and early 1990's. It's like looking back into a time capsule for how we rationalized against the newer striker fired, polymer framed, semi automatics that were coming out back then. Looking back that's exactly what we were doing. We were finding fake reasoning to support our emotional response to the handgun world changing.

You have obviously stood by those beliefs despite abundant evidence to the contrary. Because of that I don't believe that anything would be gained by trying to make a rebuttal of any sort. You will continue to hold those same beliefs.

There are many people who make money training very new shooters how to safety and effective employ a handgun who post on this website. If they choose to engage you then so be it. I'll just say I respect your right to have any opinion you want to have. The original poster can choose to use your advice or not it doesn't matter to me.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I honestly wouldn't know where to begin a rebuttal. Your advice was quite commonly held back in the late 1980's and early 1990's. It's like looking back into a time capsule for how we rationalized against the newer striker fired, polymer framed, semi automatics that were coming out back then. Looking back that's exactly what we were doing. We were finding fake reasoning to support our emotional response to the handgun world changing.

You have obviously stood by those beliefs despite abundant evidence to the contrary. Because of that I don't believe that anything would be gained by trying to make a rebuttal of any sort. You will continue to hold those same beliefs.

There are many people who make money training very new shooters how to safety and effective employ a handgun who post on this website. If they choose to engage you then so be it. I'll just say I respect your right to have any opinion you want to have. The original poster can choose to use your advice or not it doesn't matter to me.

Dave

I'll rephrase. Doc Elliot, do you believe that deer hunting with dogs is a viable sport or tradition today?

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I'll start by alienating almost everyone that has posted here. Don't buy a Glock! (I own several.) They are not the right gun for a novice handgunner. You can't tell if it's loaded or cocked, and it has no external safety. If you are a well trained soldier or LEO, who is often confronted with life and death situations, then the Glock is for you. Otherwise, you're more likely to hurt yourself with one of these or similar in your pants.

Consider a double-action revolver. Operation is not complicated. I'll take a safe long trigger pull over a short dangerous trigger anyday. Unless you keep it cocked, an accidental discharge is highly unlikely. The hammer is visible, except for a few varieties. You can get a concealed or bobbed hammer, if you're worried about snagging your clothes. There are a plethora of gun sizes and grip options available. It's easy to check if it's loaded. The 5-6-7 round capacity is more than enough in most civilian real-life emergencies. 357 Magnum is a great choice that is more than adequate as a defense round and you would have the option to practice with 38 Special. 45 Colt, 41 mag and 44 mag are probably more than you want to handle, especially in a concealable-sized gun.

If you're set on a semi-automatic pistol, I would recommend one that allows double action. You can load the mag, chamber a round, decock or VERY CAREFULLY bring an exposed hammer down to half cock, and release the safety. It is then ready to go bang by simply pulling the DA trigger. In an emergency, you don't want to count on your ability to load/insert a magazine, rack the slide to chamber a round, release a safety, and/or cock a hammer. I will admit that the DA pull will be a little longer and harder than a SA pull, but it is very unlikly that you will do so accidentilly. Again, there are many sizes and shapes available. My minimum caliber would be the 9mm Kurz (.380). I would prefer 9x19mm, .40 S&W, 10mm, or .45 ACP.

Additional points to consider: Buy a name brand gun, but it doesn't have to be a premium name. Buy the best gun you can afford, especially if this will be your one and only for a while. Larger guns and smaller calibers have less recoil and are easier to shoot accurately, but are less concealable. Larger calibers and smaller guns have more recoil and are harder to shoot accurately. Handle and shoot a variety, to figure out what you actually like. Shooters' Club has rental guns available for their range. Remember that any gun salesman, as most of the members here, will have considerably more experience than you and will make recommendations from THEIR EXPERIENCED perspective. They may not objectively consider your inexperience.

If you're interested, I could let you see and handle a variety of revolvers and autos.

I hope this is a joke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I wouldn't own a Glock for many reasons.
    They are not for everyone.

If you are a true " " Gun guy " " , how can you have just one or two brands of guns?

I almost don't know how it's even possible to own more than 4-5 pistols and at least 1 not be a Glock. Still being a SIG fan, I've had some Glocks for as long as I can remember.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    If you are a true " " Gun guy " " , how can you have just one or two brands of guns?

I almost don't know how it's even possible to own more than 4-5 pistols and at least 1 not be a Glock. Still being a SIG fan, I've had some Glocks for as long as I can remember.

I only own 3 guns that aren't at least 50 years older than I am.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I think the doctors advice is sound. I also advocate carburetors, wooden wheels, leaded gasoline, and making sure you dry the hair of small children lest they fall ill with consumption.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I carry a g19, m&p9 compact, and shield. But if I could only choose one, it would be the m&p9c. 13 rounds, shorter grip for concealing, light and well balanced. My favorite and almost daily carry. I carry mine in a ctac. My shield has both a ctac and infidel ultra. G19 in a mtac or infidel

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I think the doctors advice is sound. I also advocate carburetors, wooden wheels, leaded gasoline, and making sure you dry the hair of small children lest they fall ill with consumption.

A swift cuff to the jaw followed by a shaking and pull yourself together woman!

Doesn't it feel good to give these peasants some good old fashioned comedy sometimes instead of just good gun advice all the time? :mamoru:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom