I just got a vasectomy. Any questions or comments?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    We pay taxes, so we already give money to that cause. I'm not going to bandy some moral broom stick around. It's not my place. It was going down whether I made the loan, or someone who would charge him 30% interest per month did. Sure, some people disagree with it, that's fine. I don't really seek moral approval of those I don't know over helping a friend.

Cool. :bigok:

Tadpole

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Denham Springs, La
    I thought about that procedure years ago. I had a long talk with my doctor we decided it was less than zero chance of me getting pregnant , so maybe it was not me who needed to be snipped.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Digging up an old thread here, but I've been looking at a vasectomy lately (have my 2) and thought I'd add...

For those arguing that a female tubal ligation is more expensive than vasectomy, under the affordable care act female sterilization now must be covered by insurance providers at NO cost to the patient. This does not apply for male sterilization. So, at this point, tying the woman's tube is actually cheaper (free) than a vasectomy. The tubal ligation is still more invasive though. Both are still considered "permanent" as reversal rates are low.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I had tubal implants. The procedure operates under the brand name Essure.

Essentially they go through the normal "passage", via the cervix and uterus with a flexible straw-like catheter that has a small surgical "plug" that agitates or stimulates scar tissue formation. In 9-12 weeks they inject a dye (no needles, like a douche *SORRY!*) and if it does not flow beyond the implant, then there is sufficient blockage. If the dye flows, then they retest in another three months. If it fails, they have to go in surgically and physically cut/cauterize the tube.

There is a needle, right smack on the cervix. HOLY MAMA! In office, takes about 30 minutes, we're eating lunch after it was all done. Very very mild pain that afternoon, no worse than a regular light menstrual cramp. The next day I was on my feet feeling normal. It just made sense to me. I had a couple hours of cramping yuckness. Non invasive. Didn't have to worry about no lifting, no heavy duty work, no ice bags. They gave me an injection to be slightly relaxed and phenergan to relax my stomach and pelvic muscles. I went home to sleep off the drugs. Woke up, hubby brought home pizza. Went to bed and next day was 100% normal.

No sex for several weeks until I healed. And typically my doctor used depoprovera (I think?) the three month birth control injection because if you get pregnant while this is healing. It WILL be ectopic. And you will have to abort the child and risk a hysterectomy. So safe sex was extraordinarily important. We doubled and tripled up but to be honest until I was in the clear, we mostly abstained because the result would have been emotionally devastating.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    I want to say my total out of pocket for my vasectomy was around $25.

Mine would be $85. I wasn't so much saying that the cost now makes the tubal ligation significantly cheaper, just that it would no longer serve as a tick in the "vasectomy" column on a cost basis. A wash, if anything.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    All though I have picked up a lot of good tips and advice on life in general I dont see myself getting "fixed" to fit in guys.Wifey got fixed after the second kid.Im not worried about shooting blanks or not its the whole knife doctery thing that scares me.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I had a little pain in the left one 2-3 years later and was told that sometimes they are tender and it is common.
    This stayed like that for years until it got bad. Saw a doctor, said we will do blood work / test were done see me in 30 days. 30 days later another doc was in and mine was out so saw him instead.
    He ran new test after an exam, ended up being a tumor. He said do not worry probably not cancer.
    After they cut it out it was 2 types of cancer that had spread to abdomen, lungs and liver
    Embryonal Carcinoma
    and
    Seminoma Carcinoma
    So later on if ya have pain /soreness get it checked out asap. and get a second opinion!
    Being the Idiot I am as soon as I was done with Chemo one med of witch i was allergic to, plus an infection ect... I shot a rifle clinic week as everything and shot a 76 out of 300 LOL Thanks to the guys at the Honey Island range for bearing with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But I shot that Garand! Still week as I lost all my strength that I had before and and no longer a good shot!
    I need to get back out there and start back shooting my pistols just discouraging to start all over from scratch again almost like a new shooter. Plus I lost my shooting friend I shot with.
    So there is much worse out there than just disconnecting them little guys lol
    So if ya see me out shooting and shooting badly, when I start back doing so I have an excuse for being a bad shot as I am way out of practice.

mgrgmr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    New Orleans, LA
    I got mine done April 8 of this year. When you are laying down, put a wash cloth under your scrotum and keep the peas on them. Make sure to wear a good jock strap when you are leaving the house. The peas will keep your nuts small and relieve the pressure on them. This is key. The reason for the wash cloth is because even while laying in bed, your nuts are getting tugged on by gravity. You don't notice it until later when you get up and they hurt. Do not lift anything even if you feel good.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    I had a little pain in the left one 2-3 years later and was told that sometimes they are tender and it is common.
    This stayed like that for years until it got bad. Saw a doctor, said we will do blood work / test were done see me in 30 days. 30 days later another doc was in and mine was out so saw him instead.
    He ran new test after an exam, ended up being a tumor. He said do not worry probably not cancer.
    After they cut it out it was 2 types of cancer that had spread to abdomen, lungs and liver
    Embryonal Carcinoma
    and
    Seminoma Carcinoma
    So later on if ya have pain /soreness get it checked out asap. and get a second opinion!
    Being the Idiot I am as soon as I was done with Chemo one med of witch i was allergic to, plus an infection ect... I shot a rifle clinic week as everything and shot a 76 out of 300 LOL Thanks to the guys at the Honey Island range for bearing with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But I shot that Garand! Still week as I lost all my strength that I had before and and no longer a good shot!
    I need to get back out there and start back shooting my pistols just discouraging to start all over from scratch again almost like a new shooter. Plus I lost my shooting friend I shot with.
    So there is much worse out there than just disconnecting them little guys lol
    So if ya see me out shooting and shooting badly, when I start back doing so I have an excuse for being a bad shot as I am way out of practice.

I had 100% embryonal carcinoma in righty about four years ago, also spread to lymph nodes and lungs. I know the feels, bro. Still managed to have two kids with one nut pumping. Apparently the "sooo, I guess I get the vasectomy half off?" joke isn't too original to the Urologist though :D.

Top Bottom