Improvement Time Part Two---Update in post #160

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    There are a lot of posts and I did not read them all so this may have been covered. If so forgive me. With regard to posting in the classifieds several times the OP of the ad states something inaccurate/untrue about the firearm. More knowledgeable members can correct this. I can think of an instance where Steve (LSP) who knows his business pointed out inaccuracies so newer/lesser knowledgeable members understood correctly what was what. Austin - Is it possible to ban offenders who abuse the privilege just from the classifieds? Just trying to be constructive here.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Allow comments in the classified section? if we voted, you know what would happen? next question,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    The ppl have spoken and the government wont hear us.Kinda reminds me of what were going through with the big goverment.A vote wouldent matter.The mods dont even want to talk about it any more in this thread.Sad indeed.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I too would like to give my opinion on posting in the. Never mind, I don't need more points, or the hammer of justice

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    The ppl have spoken and the government wont hear us.Kinda reminds me of what were going through with the big goverment.A vote wouldent matter.The mods dont even want to talk about it any more in this thread.Sad indeed.

Except a website is nothing like a representative or democratic government in any way, shape, or form, and allusions to 'tyranny' are childish.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    fine, ill be the one that says it. there are classified sections in other firearm forums (a few of the best mentioned in this thread already)- just send your time, traffic, and $$ to competitors if you don't like what you've got here. It's the ultimate "vote". If McJoes refuses to cook you a McPizza, then walk across the street every now and then. If enough people agree and follow suit, McPizza will either become a reality or McJoes will become a parking lot.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Visiting multiple gun forums' classifieds?!? :eek3:

How many damn guns are you people buying? :rofl:

you'd be surprised how often i've used a classified link from a forum to negotiate a price- especially once the title reads SOLD.

i also hate instant messaging on this forum. If you are selling my dream gun for ten bucks and your "WTS" post doesn't have pics or the info I want, I'm not taking the time to message you and hope for a response. I'll beat the dead horse... I WOULD comment though, its just easier.
    Currently, I'm more inclined to copy the link and tell someone else "this guy wants 10 bucks for this gun, if you'll do 8.50 i can pay immediately"

how many guns am I buying? I'm not. I'm still looking for some vice-president approved shotguns.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA

Except a website is nothing like a representative or democratic government in any way, shape, or form, and allusions to 'tyranny' are childish.

I just choked on my smoothie.

JR1572

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Did you guys just slide past post #160?

It isn't that we don't want to discuss this, it is that the discussion always goes in the exact same direction. People start with comparisons to government, mass quoting other people who agree with them, and backhanded whining about getting infractions. We are perfectly willing to discuss this, but we need to make it a fruitful discussion. This is the larger issue with allowing comments. We can't rely on a large enough majority of users to read anything, they don't read the rules, they don't read the thread, they just post based on the first paragraph of the thread. This is reflective of a minority of users, but with over 20,000 members and 1,000,000 posts a minority can still be a big group. I'm all about allowing comments in the classifieds, I just know that depending on most members to follow the rules isn't going to happen. This is why the comments were removed last time. If we can come up with a fool proof way to make it work, I'm okay with it, if not I don't see it being worth the headaches.

The best solutions I've seen so far are allowing the OP to be a moderator in his own thread, not showing comments until he approves them, and creating a button or option that must be checked/clicked for the thread to be bumped, with all other posts not having an effect.

IF comments are allowed again, this is likely how it will need to be done. IF comments stay again, it will be based on how many feelings are hurt by people having their posts moderated/not accepted by someone else.

We get that comments in the classifieds are wanted, we are looking for a possible solution, and will keep you informed. Now, lets get this discussion back to being productive again. If anyone has any suggestions that haven't taken up the majority of the last 8 pages lets see them.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Reading between the lines, am I correct in deducing you guys don't want to have to actively moderate the Classifieds?

I really liked the S&W forum guideline of "Don't post unless you're doing business" but that either doesn't satisfy the collective request for comments, or doesn't jive with what you guys want to have to do. Dunno which (or both?)

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Did you guys just slide past post #160?

It isn't that we don't want to discuss this, it is that the discussion always goes in the exact same direction. People start with comparisons to government, mass quoting other people who agree with them, and backhanded whining about getting infractions. We are perfectly willing to discuss this, but we need to make it a fruitful discussion. This is the larger issue with allowing comments. We can't rely on a large enough majority of users to read anything, they don't read the rules, they don't read the thread, they just post based on the first paragraph of the thread. This is reflective of a minority of users, but with over 20,000 members and 1,000,000 posts a minority can still be a big group. I'm all about allowing comments in the classifieds, I just know that depending on most members to follow the rules isn't going to happen. This is why the comments were removed last time. If we can come up with a fool proof way to make it work, I'm okay with it, if not I don't see it being worth the headaches.

The best solutions I've seen so far are allowing the OP to be a moderator in his own thread, not showing comments until he approves them, and creating a button or option that must be checked/clicked for the thread to be bumped, with all other posts not having an effect.

IF comments are allowed again, this is likely how it will need to be done. IF comments stay again, it will be based on how many feelings are hurt by people having their posts moderated/not accepted by someone else.

We get that comments in the classifieds are wanted, we are looking for a possible solution, and will keep you informed. Now, lets get this discussion back to being productive again. If anyone has any suggestions that haven't taken up the majority of the last 8 pages lets see them.

You've got 8 pages of your daily traffic outright begging for a feature and the collective response from moderation is "ok we might consider it. what else would you like to see?"

If 8 pages of blatant frustration can't get a decisive answer regarding implementation, what is the point in proposing anything else that's certain to be in less demand by the majority? Fix the problem that everyone's in a frenzy about and develop some rapport with your daily bread-and-butter members. When they see their proposals actually happening, I'll bet you get a blizzard of ideas faster than you guys can discuss them.

a response like "its something the forum wants and we are interested in implementation, we just need to sort the details out. As soon as we do, we will post an update. We expected this proposal and are already discussing it. What else would you like to see?" treats your collective audience like their involvement matters and is being appreciated. Saying something like "nah you guys will muck it up and no ones going to obey the rules anyway" is a cop-out.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I don't think it's fair to say it's 8 pages of begging without recognizing the opposition.

If opponents to classifieds commentary are like me, they mostly haven't commented because the last time the topic came up it was "No. That's final, now move on." so there has been no reason to argue the case. The only ones with a case to make /are/ the proponents of commentary so of course they're the only side "represented" here in the comments. I didn't even speak up until someone showed an alternative I found worthy of compromise in my eyes.

This comment thread does not in any way indicate the opinions of the membership at large - it is not a poll where everyone is polled randomly/equally.

ETA: It's not a cop-out to say that "No one will obey the rules and it'll get mucked up" because... that's what happened. That has happened. It's proven true. It happened and was done and that's why the change was made. It was mucky. Muck occurred.

Last edited:

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    To get away from the still going comment/classified ordeal...

I really like the new rimfire section, and I think, like one member posted on this thread, but got buried by the "comments" discussion, that we could section off some other large catogories into smaller subsections.

Like Firearm classifieds, brake that down into shotgun, rifle, handgun, or rimfire.
    Brake the hunting section down into; archery, muzzleloader/primitive, centerfire rifle, centerfire handgun, or rimfire.
    Create an astrology section so the camping section can be more about gear, methods, and locations.
    The compitition section could be broke down into; IDPA, USPSA, high power rifle ect.

Maybe we can add some other clubs. There's a club for all us ak lovers, and FAL lovers, Hell, there's a club for that little weird HK pistol that some of y'all love. What about those who love the AR platform, revolvers, old war horses, ect.

Just wanted to bring up somthing other than the comments in the classifieds!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Did any of y'all read my last post? We are working on a way to allow comments again. It won't happen overnight. What that means is we aren't saying no this time.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom