Is drinking milk a healthy choice?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I know it's health related but it's not likely to get a good response hiding in the forbidden health thread.

Wait, what? we have a health thread? :confused:

So I'd just like to get some opinions on Milk and where it ranks in your daily diet if at all.

Here's a start;

Is milk really good for you?

or

This odd fact;
    Human beings are the only species who drink milk from another species and the only ones who continue to drink milk after being weaned from it during infancy

or

The fact that the majority of people on the planet live perfectly fine without milk in their diet.
    Why can't Americans? is it just another (one of the MANY) building blocks towards our national obesity problem?

begin...

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I know I cut way down on how much milk I drink a few months ago. I never thought I'd survive, but I don't miss it. I'll still put about 1/2 cup in a smoothie sometimes, but I haven't noticed any bad effects. My wife has a friend who swears that milk is the cause of everything from cancer to osteoporosis.

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Milk and dairy are a tricky food as far as health is concerned. On one hand, tons of nutrients, promotes healthy growth and bone strength, and generally tastes good. On the other, it's got a ton of fat (unless it's skim), heavy on calories for its nutrition content, and has a lot of sugar (lactose is a sugar and it behaves just like other sugars in your body, causing and insulin spike and increasing your stores of fat).

So weather it's healthy or not depends on what your nutritional goals are.

For me, I have a a glass of skim milk every morning because the sugar is good for morning energy. I occasionally sprinkle shredded cheese on certain dishes, but I treat it like a spice not a second part of the meal.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Milk and dairy are a tricky food as far as health is concerned. On one hand, tons of nutrients, promotes healthy growth and bone strength, and generally tastes good. On the other, it's got a ton of fat (unless it's skim), heavy on calories for its nutrition content, and has a lot of sugar (lactose is a sugar and it behaves just like other sugars in your body, causing and insulin spike and increasing your stores of fat).

So weather it's healthy or not depends on what your nutritional goals are.

For me, I have a a glass of skim milk every morning because the sugar is good for morning energy. I occasionally sprinkle shredded cheese on certain dishes, but I treat it like a spice not a second part of the meal.

Ahh true, cheese... yeah, in that case I WAY over-consume my dairy.

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    Milk/dairy lover here. I can't imagine life without it. That said, everything I've read bad about milk relates to the fat. If you're watching fats on fitday or something like that, it's easy to see how 'bad' 2% milk even is. A serving is 8 ounces, and that gives you 15% of your saturated fat for the day (3g). Now I don't know about you, but I like a nice tall glass of milk, avg 16 ounces or so I'd say. Now I've already consumed 30% of my saturated fat for the day in one glass of milk! Lump in the fact that the avg American's gonna wolf down SOMETHING heavy in saturated fat during the day in addition, and milk's suddenly looking like a sneaky accomplice to heart disease.

The other thing I've read is related to calcium- supposedly the sat. fat reduces the body's ability to absorb calcium, so even though there's calcium in milk, the naysayers say it doesn't matter. I don't know if I buy that one, but it's out there.

When I'm playing Mr. Healthy/fitday tracking/ 40%protein/40%carbs/20%fats, it's virtually impossible for me to use anything other than skim milk for my shakes - 2% blows the fat % sky high pretty quick. Right now? There's a fresh gallon of 2% Brown's dairy waiting for me at the house....

Last edited:

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    If there is no milk then I am moving to Mars. Gotta have it. I drink 1/2+ gallon every day, have been for over 30 years. It's good for us or we wouldn't have been made to drink it from birth. There is alot of water in milk. One of the best natural foods on our Earth. If we shouldn't be drinking it then why did God make milk cows? Don't fight mother nature.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    I love a good cold glass of milk however it's not natural for humans to consume something thats sole purpose is to cause a 100 lb calf to gain 1500-2000 lbs in only a year or two. Yeah, it makes you fat. Milk is also one of the most allergic and inflamatory foods in the western diet. A better and safer option is organic yogurt. Because the proteins in yogurt have been "pre-digested" by lactic acid yogurt is better tolerated by the body. Yogurt actually has anti inflamatory properties and you can't say enough good things about the probiotics or acticve cultures found in yogurt.

Last edited:

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    I love milk. I can live without it, have done so for a while, thanks to lactose intolerance, but it is probably my favorite thing to drink. I just recently started drinking it again, my intolerance has started slacking, so I enjoy it when I can now.

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    Humans are the only animal on earth that never get off the milk to the meat . I am guilty also however I've gone to Latose free milk to give up farting while walking down the isle at church taking up offering! :doh:

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    milk--it-does-a-body-good.jpg

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Cheese!!!! I love cheese. All kinds of cheese and the bells/whistles that go with a good cheese platter. Food of the gods. I also enjoy yogurt and sour cream. Very rarely will I drink actual milk though. Usually it's in a cereal, half&half in my quiche, etc.

I am not concerned whether or not dairy is gonna kill me. It's one of those uncompromising dietary inclusions that I'm unwilling to give up.

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Drinking milk with its fat and protein is better than drinking soda or juice which is virtually 100% sugar, typically corn syrup. Fats and proteins are the building blocks of life, whereas the human body only has a few tablespoons of sugar running through it at any given time. Also it is typically filling and satisfying whereas a coke or apple juice typically does not affect hunger.

Drinking enough milk though can count as a meal itself, so drinking too much piles on the calories. Like anything, all things in moderation.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Drinking milk with its fat and protein is better than drinking soda or juice which is virtually 100% sugar, typically corn syrup. Fats and proteins are the building blocks of life, whereas the human body only has a few tablespoons of sugar running through it at any given time. Also it is typically filling and satisfying whereas a coke or apple juice typically does not affect hunger.

Drinking enough milk though can count as a meal itself, so drinking too much piles on the calories. Like anything, all things in moderation.

Yup. That's the key. Milk isn't terrible. It's the big gulp glasses that have led it to become questionable. When I'm counting calories and doing a diet log, 75% of my sat fats for the day are in one meal from forms of diary. If I have milk at breakfast, that means I leave out cream or cheese for lunch and supper. I'd much rather my saturated fats come from diary where I have a host of other nutrients and protein than I am through other foods. I'm going to crave something rich, I think like sugar addictions, or starch addictions, the brain craves sat fats. A really nice cheese with my eggs in an omelette, or lite sour cream in my chicken taco soup, or french fries.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I stopped drinking milk when I took a swig out of the carton without doing the swirl/smell test and got chunks of milk instead of liquid.

I either drink water, tea (green, jasmine, oolong), or Crystal Light. It's WAY cheaper than milk, and it doesn't go bad if you forget about it for a week or three.

Top Bottom