Is drinking milk a healthy choice?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I stopped drinking milk when I took a swig out of the carton without doing the swirl/smell test and got chunks of milk instead of liquid.

I either drink water, tea (green, jasmine, oolong), or Crystal Light. It's WAY cheaper than milk, and it doesn't go bad if you forget about it for a week or three.

Oolong! :hi5: Eastern Beauty is my favorite tea. :)

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Iced green Sencha tea brewed with fresh ginger...very healthy and very addictive. I gotta have 3-4 big glasses per day. It's all I drink other than plain water....and well of course beer....and my single malts to go with my cigar habit... and Merlot everyday cause its good for my heart....and Don Julio Anejo tequilla cause I can't eat Mexican without a couple of double Margaritas.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I've heard the whole "milk is unhealthy" argument. I drink quite a bit because I think it's the perfect workout food, especially pre and post workout (along with other things). Usually, the guy telling me things like seem here (only animal that drinks, processed skim is t good, etc) is doing so while sitting his 250lb ass drinking a soda eating fried chicken for all meals.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Milk ONLY exists to me as a cereal moistener. Even then I have to use lactose-free milk, or I'll spend the rest of the day wondering if I crapped my pants every time I fart.

So no, you won't convince me that humans are "supposed" to drink milk. Some people can tolerate it at best, but a lot of people don't.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Never touch the stuff.

OTOH, I love cheese, and really love the really good cheeses.

Interestingly, there is a very volatile thread about unpasteurized milk going on at the Health.Fraud list.
    :ohreally:

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    It is true that most of the human population doesn't keep drinking milk after they are weaned. I learned the reasons for this in an anthropology class in college. Basically traditionally pastoral societies (which rely on animals more than plants due to environmental conditions) keep up the milk drinking out of necessity, because it is generally too cold or dry to grow enough food to live without it. The two groups of people that historically drink the most milk are Northern Europeans (and they brought it with them to the U.S. when they settled the new world) and some African tribes.

This is just a theory of mine that is not supported by real research: aren't Americans, north european viking ****ers, and some African peoples among the tallest and strongest populations? I think milk is the KEY to becoming a MIGHTY WARRIOR.

I couldn't quit the milk anyway. I love the taste, and it goes in so many other foods in one form or another (cheese, cream, etc).

BIGGREEN

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I personally drink over 3 gallons of WHOLE, LOCAL milk (Borden's) a week. The problem with milk nowadays is that mostof it is mass produced in a location far away from you and dehydrated. It is then shipped by the train tankload and re-hydrated and packaged. This process breaks down the good stuff in milk. I am 45 (46 in May) and have drank milk like this all of my life. My cholesterol and triglycerides are at normal levels. Many pediatricians recommend Whole, Local milk for infants it they are not breastfed. We, as humans, are built to consume natural animal fats. The problem is the hormones and such that are used today. In this area Kleinpeter and Brown's as well as Borden's are locally processed, mostly without growth and bovine hormones. I have attached a link to an informative write-up on milk. It is something I am very passionate about as my two boys (8&10) both have consumed whole milk since birth as well as local honey and fresh vegetable and neither have been on ANY antibiotics ( we prefer holistic) and are very healthy. Some studies have connected the decrease of milk consumption and the increases in such things as obesity and alzheimer's just to name a couple. Breeze through it, it is interesting reading.

http://books.google.com/books?id=2S...Aw#v=onepage&q=myelin sheath and milk&f=false

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Milk ONLY exists to me as a cereal moistener. Even then I have to use lactose-free milk, or I'll spend the rest of the day wondering if I crapped my pants every time I fart.

So no, you won't convince me that humans are "supposed" to drink milk. Some people can tolerate it at best, but a lot of people don't.

Not to be a smartass, but have you tried the soy or almond milks available? :)

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    You'll never catch me eating a PB&J with a cup of yogurt. Gotta have milk. A quart or so of ice cold (2%) milk. Ummm ummmm. It keeps me alive. It provides me alot of the nourishment I geet in a day.

Drink milk. Save our milk cows. Treat them like queens.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Damn those flaming homo almonds... ;)

:rofl:

Actually I have, and I just couldn't do it. I never drank a ton of milk anyway, since lactose intolerance runs in the family. So I haven't really stressed over finding a replacement. Apparently it gets worse as you get older, and I'm already at the point where I'll clear a room after one scoop of ice cream.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    2% for me W/ cereal (special k strawberry kick right now) in the morning.
    a glass occasionally at night.

My wife is a milk fanatic. I know we go through 2 gallons if not 3 a week.

Top Bottom