Let's form a Survival Club--what do yall think?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Witness

>Glock
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    baton rouge
    the biggest question that plagues me is which is the best way to prepare your bag? my bag is set up for long term survival, not battle. if i end up in a battle situation i'm F-ed. i would have very minimal fighting capability, i honestly dont think it will come down to standing and slugging it out though. survival is my main objective with my bag, if i have to go to to battle then i'm going to have to do it from home.

IonicDOG

Hacker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    Houma, LA
    the biggest question that plagues me is which is the best way to prepare your bag? my bag is set up for long term survival, not battle. if i end up in a battle situation i'm F-ed. i would have very minimal fighting capability, i honestly dont think it will come down to standing and slugging it out though. survival is my main objective with my bag, if i have to go to to battle then i'm going to have to do it from home.

I thought about the same thing, and what I have that I think will work is I picked up one of those tactical vests from the gun show almost identical to this http://www.lapolicegear.com/blomelvecrdr.html but a knock off brand. I took the pistol holster off and added 2 more AR mag pouches. I have 12 AR mags, 3 pistol mags, and about 25 shotgun shells. It seems pretty durable but I haven't given it any hard use yet. I think if the time comes you could always put the vest on, then your backpack or bag, grab you rifle and get the hell outta dodge.

Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    i have a couple bags all easy to grab
    battle bag with loaded mags for rifle,pistol's,shotgun and extra ammo,along with cleaning supplies also doubles as a range bag.flash lights,multi tool ear plugs shooting glasses
    energy bars

my work/b.o.b. has small things of bug repelant,burn cream and other first aid,gloves multi tools,flash lights,small toilet paper packs,baby wipes,lighters, water bottle,small ammo stash whatever fire arm i have that day captains lic. this will help me survive getting home from work or if something happens on the boat and i end up stranded in the middle of no where and have to spend the night out doors.

im working on a fullout stand alone bob...but not in a survive the end of the world but to survive mandatory evacuation incase of fire,storm, chemical spill or other,,,ill have digital copies of allll personal info,banking,ins.,i.d's,ss cards, copyies of pics of meaningful moments,valuables with serial numbers,contact info of all important family and people bussness contacts,all on a memory stick..

a laptop, extra cell phone chargers,cash, mres, vacume sealed clothes for 3,ammo for the fire arms i leave with, batteries,flash light,water purifier tabs,sun screan,bug repelant,extra keys paper copies of i.d.s

when im done ill be able to grab this bag,my wife and daughter and leave,,even if i jump out of my house in my underware as long as i have this bag,,ill be abel to have copies of all important info,keys to get into my truck and leave,with atleast one fire arm and extra ammo,,and the ability to set up shop and everything i need important to me,,and enough food and cash to keep me out of a fema camp and drive far enough to find a safe spot,,past the chem,spill,fire,storm.....

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Hell yeah i'm down tin foil and all. Jindana if you haven't already read it I suggest you check out the listening to katrina blog http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/index.html Its a very detailed documentation of things that this guy observed during and after hurricane katrina, very good read.

Ionic, Shane (the place w/ no name) and I have some friends in common. He's a good guy but has some strange ideas. His other blog is him hiking black creek trail in the nude. Places w/ sticker bushes, poison ivy, and large spiders are not good places for nude hiking!

IonicDOG

Hacker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Ionic, Shane (the place w/ no name) and I have some friends in common. He's a good guy but has some strange ideas. His other blog is him hiking black creek trail in the nude. Places w/ sticker bushes, poison ivy, and large spiders are not good places for nude hiking!

HAHAHA Glad I never stumbled across that blog!

russinbr

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I would be in for this. I am an EMT, Confined Space and Rope Rescue Technician, avid outdoor type with some training in DOD biological, chemical, and nuclear response. Like Rudeboy I have I have multiple digital copies of my life from 1984 - present and all the tools readily available to practice all the skills I am certified in. I also have a perspective of 32 days in N.O. Katrina rescue, protection, recovery, treatment, and cleanup. While there I worked with BATFE, ICE, and other groups while there as cleanup, backup, and medical response for the aftermath. I have trained in limited cyber response and communications and general geek like electronic skills.
    I have recently been studying the best locations within an 8 hour drive from BR to hole up and survive long term for the purchase of property. This includes considerations such as water supply, soil acidity, remoteness, terrain, and limited access, with considerations for given for evacuation probabilities. As I am single and somewhat disconnected by distance from family I have not studied group survival so I am limited in that knowledge. I would be grateful to learn more and to possibly teach others. I would strongly encourage each of you to learn medical response for various scenarios as a precursor to just a get the F%## out plan. I have seen and experienced the traumatic effect injury to either self or a loved one can have on the best laid plans.

Brweyes

I Dont Dial 911
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Pineville,La
    This is brweyes husband. My wife has told me about this forum but this is the first time I have actually looked at it. Glad to meet all of you and wish you all the best..

Now what caught my attention was that this was about survival and to be quite honest, you guys seem like you need some real world advice. Before I begin, let me tell you about myself in respect to survival. I am no gung ho military guy, in fact, I distance myself from that attitude and so should you in respect to survival. Every since early childhood, my father raised his sons not as survivalist, but as survivors. at the age of 19 I was literally an orphan(although my parents are still alive and well) I had what I thought was my last chance at helping myself by going into the USMC. I was turned down due to a slight high frequency hearing loss due to shooting since I could literally walk.(Yes, the irony).

I said the hell with it all, packed an old army duffel bag, drove my truck to the deepest woods I could find(and where no one could find me). I had a single shot 22, a pocket knife and a double bladed boot knife. I left my truck and with only this bag, a handful of bic lighters and a wore out pair of tony llamas. I had hooks and one spool of trilene fishing line and a small hatchet. Not a drop of water, and not a single morsel of food.

I remember locking that truck and heading off to find myself the biggest creek bottom I could find. And when I got there my head was pounding and I was hungry, I stayed there and lived for 3 months. Best 3 months of life.

If the sh*t ever hit the fan, you gotta think as primitive as possible. There isn't any cheating that won't catch up with you fast. Forget the electronics, forget the candy bars, batteries, etc. They will only slow you down and eventually be worthless.

I learned that fish was great over a fire, and if you know how to find a sassafras tree, even the snakes and small frogs taste great. I ate things that would have made most people puke. But ya get used to it. It's all about positive thought and remembering that although domesticated, we are all animals in nature. You learn to shy away from noise, be quiet and always be aware of your surrounding. You try to never use the bullets you have unless absolutely necessary, and you keep yourself busy always trying to build a better shelter. You can do it, all of you can, especially you young guys if you just make a game of it and keep your wits.

If I had to leave tonight and had the luxury of already having a bag packed, I wouldn't carry any more than what I needed and could carry on two feet.

First: A good gun, not a Hollywood piece of pipe but a gun I could depend on. And since the world might be crazy, I would have just enough to put down fire and allow me to move fast or take down a days food if needed. I would choose a .223 ruger Mini 14 or a simple ruger 10/22 rifle. Forget all the cool looks of the ARs or AKs, they weight ya down, and the best AR will never stand up to the abuse a ruger will take in the elements. And leave all the tactical crap behind, it will only get ya killed. Remember, simplicity,... old school, alive.

Second: All the ammunition you can carry, a simple 22 means you can carry enough to be there indefinitely, but depending on the situation you may have to carry a .223. If there are two or more of you, you could have both. You can never too much ammo.

third. Although people say that water is most important, I have to argue. When in Louisiana, you can always find a flowing sand bottom creek or clear black water basin, but you won't find a stove on the side of a cypress tree. Get a five pack of bic lighters, put them in a Ziploc bag and guard them with your life. A fire won't just feed you and keep ya warm, it will also keep you in a peaceful state of mind. Only use the lighters for fire.

Carry a small pouch with average size worm hooks with a good spool of at least 14 lb test monofilament. After a while line can get brittle and the stronger the test the better. You wouldn't believe the fish that are in back water creeks when you find the spots that are dark and deeper.

I carry two knives, one in my pocket, a average size normal lockblade and a larger hunting knife. You gotta be able to clean what ya kill or catch and occasionally pass the time by carving spoons or forks out of wood. If possible carry a good hatchet. This will provide a cover by cutting small trees for shelter or busting up wood that is too big to burn. Carry a small pair of pliers or a leathermans tool. If you get cut to where you need medical attention.... there won't be any. A fishing hook with the barb squeeze shut and fishing line will stitch any type of wound and won't cause infection. (A pint of whiskey would come in handy also. and for necessarily for drinking)

A compass is good but not a must. It will help you get back to your fire if you get stuck away after the sun goes down.

I know in the warm weather here when all game may be scarce and fish don't always bite, you can always walk the creeks or bayous til ya find a stagnant bottom and there will always be small frogs and snakes, which to be totally honest are good healthy white meat. (Don't forget to learn to find the sassafras tree for seasoning. It makes it all taste good.) The sassafras tree has three kinds of leaves, A football shape, a three point leaf and a mitt shape all on the same limbs. The leaves can be dried on a fire, then ground for seasoning, and also to add to water to give it a sweet tea taste. The roots can be boiled also to get a super root beer / tea taste.

I could go on forever, but you know what, if you keep your head, and stay in good spirits you will naturally find out a lot of things out there. And your senses will grow sharp to everything around you.

So just remember, Fire, water, food, shelter. Keep yourself busy. And don't try to spoil yourself with things that will eventually be worthless. Keep a good water bottle or canteen, one iron skillet is all you need, if you can pack it. You just go bury it in the creek when ya finish with it, and pull it out and fire it to clean it. I had to settle on an old brake drum, but it was ok, it was all I had.

Always remember what the old marines used to say: Improvise, overcome and adapt.

When ya get out there, don't think Rambo or Schwarzenegger, imagine what the real people did 100 years ago like the Choctaws or the crows right here on the bayous. You have all you need out there, you just have to figure out to put it all together.

Well, didn't want to write a book here, but I hope my advice would come in handy if anyone ever found themselves in that type of situation one day.

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    This is brweyes husband. My wife has told me about this forum but this is the first time I have actually looked at it. Glad to meet all of you and wish you all the best..

Now what caught my attention was that this was about survival and to be quite honest, you guys seem like you need some real world advice. Before I begin, let me tell you about myself in respect to survival. I am no gung ho military guy, in fact, I distance myself from that attitude and so should you in respect to survival. Every since early childhood, my father raised his sons not as survivalist, but as survivors. at the age of 19 I was literally an orphan(although my parents are still alive and well) I had what I thought was my last chance at helping myself by going into the USMC. I was turned down due to a slight high frequency hearing loss due to shooting since I could literally walk.(Yes, the irony).

I said the hell with it all, packed an old army duffel bag, drove my truck to the deepest woods I could find(and where no one could find me). I had a single shot 22, a pocket knife and a double bladed boot knife. I left my truck and with only this bag, a handful of bic lighters and a wore out pair of tony llamas. I had hooks and one spool of trilene fishing line and a small hatchet. Not a drop of water, and not a single morsel of food.

I remember locking that truck and heading off to find myself the biggest creek bottom I could find. And when I got there my head was pounding and I was hungry, I stayed there and lived for 3 months. Best 3 months of life.

If the sh*t ever hit the fan, you gotta think as primitive as possible. There isn't any cheating that won't catch up with you fast. Forget the electronics, forget the candy bars, batteries, etc. They will only slow you down and eventually be worthless.

I learned that fish was great over a fire, and if you know how to find a sassafras tree, even the snakes and small frogs taste great. I ate things that would have made most people puke. But ya get used to it. It's all about positive thought and remembering that although domesticated, we are all animals in nature. You learn to shy away from noise, be quiet and always be aware of your surrounding. You try to never use the bullets you have unless absolutely necessary, and you keep yourself busy always trying to build a better shelter. You can do it, all of you can, especially you young guys if you just make a game of it and keep your wits.

If I had to leave tonight and had the luxury of already having a bag packed, I wouldn't carry any more than what I needed and could carry on two feet.

First: A good gun, not a Hollywood piece of pipe but a gun I could depend on. And since the world might be crazy, I would have just enough to put down fire and allow me to move fast or take down a days food if needed. I would choose a .223 ruger Mini 14 or a simple ruger 10/22 rifle. Forget all the cool looks of the ARs or AKs, they weight ya down, and the best AR will never stand up to the abuse a ruger will take in the elements. And leave all the tactical crap behind, it will only get ya killed. Remember, simplicity,... old school, alive.

Second: All the ammunition you can carry, a simple 22 means you can carry enough to be there indefinitely, but depending on the situation you may have to carry a .223. If there are two or more of you, you could have both. You can never too much ammo.

third. Although people say that water is most important, I have to argue. When in Louisiana, you can always find a flowing sand bottom creek or clear black water basin, but you won't find a stove on the side of a cypress tree. Get a five pack of bic lighters, put them in a Ziploc bag and guard them with your life. A fire won't just feed you and keep ya warm, it will also keep you in a peaceful state of mind. Only use the lighters for fire.

Carry a small pouch with average size worm hooks with a good spool of at least 14 lb test monofilament. After a while line can get brittle and the stronger the test the better. You wouldn't believe the fish that are in back water creeks when you find the spots that are dark and deeper.

I carry two knives, one in my pocket, a average size normal lockblade and a larger hunting knife. You gotta be able to clean what ya kill or catch and occasionally pass the time by carving spoons or forks out of wood. If possible carry a good hatchet. This will provide a cover by cutting small trees for shelter or busting up wood that is too big to burn. Carry a small pair of pliers or a leathermans tool. If you get cut to where you need medical attention.... there won't be any. A fishing hook with the barb squeeze shut and fishing line will stitch any type of wound and won't cause infection. (A pint of whiskey would come in handy also. and for necessarily for drinking)

A compass is good but not a must. It will help you get back to your fire if you get stuck away after the sun goes down.

I know in the warm weather here when all game may be scarce and fish don't always bite, you can always walk the creeks or bayous til ya find a stagnant bottom and there will always be small frogs and snakes, which to be totally honest are good healthy white meat. (Don't forget to learn to find the sassafras tree for seasoning. It makes it all taste good.) The sassafras tree has three kinds of leaves, A football shape, a three point leaf and a mitt shape all on the same limbs. The leaves can be dried on a fire, then ground for seasoning, and also to add to water to give it a sweet tea taste. The roots can be boiled also to get a super root beer / tea taste.

I could go on forever, but you know what, if you keep your head, and stay in good spirits you will naturally find out a lot of things out there. And your senses will grow sharp to everything around you.

So just remember, Fire, water, food, shelter. Keep yourself busy. And don't try to spoil yourself with things that will eventually be worthless. Keep a good water bottle or canteen, one iron skillet is all you need, if you can pack it. You just go bury it in the creek when ya finish with it, and pull it out and fire it to clean it. I had to settle on an old brake drum, but it was ok, it was all I had.

Always remember what the old marines used to say: Improvise, overcome and adapt.

When ya get out there, don't think Rambo or Schwarzenegger, imagine what the real people did 100 years ago like the Choctaws or the crows right here on the bayous. You have all you need out there, you just have to figure out to put it all together.

Well, didn't want to write a book here, but I hope my advice would come in handy if anyone ever found themselves in that type of situation one day.

Wow, great info. Thanks.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Really good info. from everyone, especially brweyes. In a real survival mode as he describes is realistic. With a wife and maybe others with us we more than likely need to pre-plan and stash in advance.

We have a very remote place available in the Southwest with natural cave(s) available for shelter and storage. The only problem is it's a 17 hour drive one way. But an ideal area (rugged, mountainous) for long term survival. It's such that you can well defend yourself from others but I doubt if anyone would get in my general area as there are unlimited places in this area of the U.S. for others to seek refuge.

We live in such a heavily populated area of the U.S. that I think trying to survive amongst in a heavily populated group would be dangerous. One good thing is that I am a pilot and if need be and I could get to an aircraft with fuel we could utilize it for escape (as a last resort).

The more I think about it the more I realize we heed to have several plans of action ready and pick the best one depending on events.

Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    like i said i dont have anything for longterm outdoor survival,i have a get out of town for emergency pack,,my house has a waterwhell ,plenty of woods to hunt and a canal with crawfish,fish and snakes,,the woods by the house dead end to a swamp so theres even more hunting and fishing,,,but im preparing for buggin in,,,unless its a mandatory evac then ill do everything in my power to stay out of a fema camp....

but brushing up on my fishing and hunting skills are a must,,

crippy02

Woodsman and Father
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Saint Francisville
    I'm game. I have to say, though the way I was taught was to survive on alot les that what you guys have in your BoB's. I was taught to survive off of whatever i could fit in a no. 9 can. No tents, build our own shelter with materials on hand. No sleeping bags or rolls, soft dirt is nice. I slept in a shelter made of limbs and sticks and insulated with pine needles and leaves last month when it was in the 20's in St.Francisville.
    I have a small ammo can that I can grab that has everything I need for "when the indians come." Toss the guns, the wife and kid in the car, in that order, and let the Xterra take me to the hills. I can build me a shelter that'll be comfortable to live in for a few weeks at least. I can purify water and get food, start a fire, etc. when we goin campin? Lol.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Survival isn't just about camping. Bad things can happen fast too. You never know, all those people who've been paying their mortage all along could decide to riot tomorrow since they're not getting a share of the bailout! We could have yuppies burning down the projects tomorrow. Isn't change wonderful?
    Seriously, civil unrest could happen for many reasons. Blackouts, terrorist problems, rioting, etc. We could end up stuck in the city. Survival in the woods is easy by comparison. I guess I'll be sniping the neighbor's cats. Anybody have any good cat recipes?

crippy02

Woodsman and Father
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Saint Francisville
    Survival isn't just about camping... Anybody have any good cat recipes?

I have to agree, but I'm pretty comfortable in my preparedness to defend and stick it out where I'm at. If it comes down to it, and i' runnin low on ammo or supplies, (we're talking end of the world worst case scenario **** here), I can manage on the road. i already have an escape plan and safe houses lined up. add that to my wildernessstuff, and i can manage.

My wife would probably commit suicide without fast food and indoor plumbing, but I'd be ok.

Top Bottom