Marskville Shooting (Nov 2015) body cam footage released

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    What bothers me is that the police mindset seems to be leaning more toward "if there is any doubt" shoot. I understand that police have family, police get scared and I believe every officer should go home at the end of every night. That being said, I believe the same for firemen and they still take the risk and enter burning buildings to protect the public. If firefighters used the same logic as "if there is any doubt" nobody would be saved from a fire because nobody would ever take the risk to enter a building. The mindset is more of a wartime mindset instead of a peace officer mindset. There are certainly terrible people on the street that wish to do harm, but just as a burning building, that is a risk you except when you put that badge on. I believe you have a commitment to the public to be absolutely sure before pulling a trigger, a commitment that supersedes your own life and the will of your family and friends. To me, that servant mindset is what makes the job noble and respectable. If you would rather kill somebody when you are "not sure" than take the risk to your own life, then you should look into another occupation. I understand this sounds very idealistic, but not everybody is cut out to be a PEACE officer.

If you think all officers have the mindset to shoot first and ask questions later, you seriously need to open your eyes and stop watching the media.

a commitment that supersedes your own life and the will of your family and friends.

I don't even know what to say to this.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Yeah and it's a mostly thankless job too, and you are absolutely right. But it seems if you believe in anything strongly and it halfway almost kind of sort of disagrees with a handful of police you are a cop hater or a sovereign citizen or an ACLU shill.

Personally the term sovereign citizen shouldn't be a put down its technically what every adult US citizen with their rights intact is, but hey someone called me a patriot the other day and intended that as a slam too. So what do I know.

I don't know what you should be called, that's up to you. But sitting here posting nonsense about a guy shooting at a car who didn't with video evidence that he didn't and multiple articles on the internet saying that he didn't is silly. Put yourself in that guy's shoes. You roll up on a scene to assist and that plays out in front of you. I commend him for doing the right thing.

I'm not saying you hate the police, I'm just saying you have corrupt cop on the brain. We're not all crooked and hate everyone.

JR1572

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    If you think all officers have the mindset to shoot first and ask questions later, you seriously need to open your eyes and stop watching the media.

I never said all police, I simply said the mindset seems to be leaning that way. That is a huge difference than you are implying my words meant.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I don't know what you should be called, that's up to you. But sitting here posting nonsense about a guy shooting at a car who didn't with video evidence that he didn't and multiple articles on the internet saying that he didn't is silly. Put yourself in that guy's shoes. You roll up on a scene to assist and that plays out in front of you. I commend him for doing the right thing.

I'm not saying you hate the police, I'm just saying you have corrupt cop on the brain. We're not all crooked and hate everyone.

JR1572

I have already said that I was likely wrong on my first conclusion, after watching the rear sight of the gun I could detect no recoil.

But be honest with yourself it's not me who is expecting a crooked cop but you who is expecting a cop hater because views and beliefs I have and that obviously stand fast against your view point.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I never said all police, I simply said the mindset seems to be leaning that way. That is a huge difference than you are implying my words meant.

What you said was very vague... so it demanded the response I gave. That's the joy of discussion. You have the opportunity to elaborate.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Is it procedure after a shooting to just stand around & not try to render aid?

I'm sure every department has their own procedure, but officers are not Paramedics or EMTs, although they are usually trained in very basic first aid. (some may have more advanced training)
    That being said, until the scene is secure no one can safely render aid. Rendering aid is not the 1st priority when the shooting stops, securing the scene so that aid can be rendered is the first priority.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I have already said that I was likely wrong on my first conclusion, after watching the rear sight of the gun I could detect no recoil.

But be honest with yourself it's not me who is expecting a crooked cop but you who is expecting a cop hater because views and beliefs I have and that obviously stand fast against your view point.

It's difficult not to think that when there is evidence supporting what I said, you then go against it, myself and another person say it's true and now you blame the video for being unclear?

You earned it in this thread pal.

You sound like the people in Charlotte where they're saying the guy was holding a book after the video proved otherwise.

JR1572

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by

I can't disagree. I see it as a shift the concept of policing and less of a shift in individual officers' mindsets. And it's not shoot first ask questions later. It's let me step on your rights to make sure I feel safe. I sure wish I had the right to stop and forcibly search a few wierdos that I come in contact with to make sure they have nothing that could hurt me or themselves. I think it is safe to say all of us here a Bayou Shooter want officers to go home safe to their families each and every night, morning whatever their shift change is, but it's my belief over the last 50 years as an institution their has been a pyridine shift from (forgive my goofy analogy it's not a slam) of more Barney less Andy.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I can't disagree. I see it as a shift the concept of policing and less of a shift in individual officers' mindsets. And it's not shoot first ask questions later. It's let me step on your rights to make sure I feel safe. I sure wish I had the right to stop and forcibly search a few wierdos that I come in contact with to make sure they have nothing that could hurt me or themselves. I think it is safe to say all of us here a Bayou Shooter want officers to go home safe to their families each and every night, morning whatever their shift change is, but it's my belief over the last 50 years as an institution their has been a pyridine shift from (forgive my goofy analogy it's not a slam) of more Barney less Andy.

Paradigms and SOP are forced to change with society's climate. 50 years ago we didn't have people randomly bring rifles into shopping malls, schools, or churches to open fire indiscriminately. We didn't have roadside IED's in central park. We didn't have a culture that hated accountability. What we DID have was a respect for law and order, an ethical obligation to be appreciative for community service, and a general demeanor to assist when possible.

This from one tax paying citizen to another: these are the people that come when you call for help. if you've never had to make the call, you are blessed beyond numbers. If you have, you'll understand. When I have to dial 911, I don't want barney fife coming to politely knock on my door and ask the nice fella to put his gun down so we can all go home for supper. No, for my phone call and tax dollars I want Seal Team Six. I want a clear message that this isn't tolerated, and I want it broadcasted so clearly and vividly that it sends a message not only to those that committed the crime, but to others that may consider it in the future.

This wanton disrespect for law enforcement has become trendy in a generation that both lacks accountability and is allergic to responsibility. In fact, officers today are in a no-win scenario for public judgement. If Barney Fife shows up they laud that he is inept, under qualified, and unfit for the position. If Rambo shows up, they say he's militaristic and presents a hostile image of police relations.

The truth is that people are generally unhappy with the state of things, and its easier to complain than to suggest solutions.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

Who is forcibly searching people at random? You wonder why LEO think of you as a "cop hater". Stop posting baseless anti police **** and following it up with post about how you respect LEO's. Own what you are, it's ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    What bothers me is that the police mindset seems to be leaning more toward "if there is any doubt" shoot. I understand that police have family, police get scared and I believe every officer should go home at the end of every night. That being said, I believe the same for firemen and they still take the risk and enter burning buildings to protect the public. If firefighters used the same logic as "if there is any doubt" nobody would be saved from a fire because nobody would ever take the risk to enter a building. The mindset is more of a wartime mindset instead of a peace officer mindset. There are certainly terrible people on the street that wish to do harm, but just as a burning building, that is a risk you except when you put that badge on. I believe you have a commitment to the public to be absolutely sure before pulling a trigger, a commitment that supersedes your own life and the will of your family and friends. To me, that servant mindset is what makes the job noble and respectable. If you would rather kill somebody when you are "not sure" than take the risk to your own life, then you should look into another occupation. I understand this sounds very idealistic, but not everybody is cut out to be a PEACE officer.
    go request to do a use of force training with police officers. I get what your trying to say but you basis for police having a mindset of "when in doubt just kill someone" your mindset is flawed to the most extreme.

Police officers use the Objective reasonable test when using force. this test is backed up by the Supreme court in the Graham vs. Connor Case.

We as police do not have 20/20 Hindsight, we are not mind readers.
    We look at totality of circumstances
    Severity of the suspects crimes he has committed or is committing.
    Is the suspect actively resisting arrest
    is the suspect fleeing arrest.

Whats the suspect physical description ( a female officer weighing 130 Lbs at 5'6 Vs a 380 pound 6'7 mass of muscle)
    how many officers vs suspect?
    Is the suspect posing a immediate threat to Officers, or the public?

" I believe you have a commitment to the public to be absolutely sure before pulling a trigger"
    This is absolute nonsense. Every situation we deal with is a rapidly evolving situation which could entail high stress, and split second discussions by the officer. Your mindset is what actually get police officers killed.
    Go look up the Death of GA Trooper Denkiller video for proof of that.

Also read the Supreme Court rulings on use of force by police. Its very educational.

Top Bottom