My land

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Might look at some Hardy bamboo's. Very useful and clumping bamboo won't take over. Some shoots are even edible. I assume way to far north for Citrus. I here people have had success with blood oranges farther north, might want to look into them, very good for juicing. Also, mix up your blueberries, don't get just one kind.

Anna is a good apple, or any of the Fuji's, Macintosh is one. Just make sure the Apple trees are close enough to cross pollinate, might want to let a bee keeper use your "Orchard" maybe in exchange for honey. The bamboo will also attract small birds that will help with pollination, mine is loaded with hummingbirds in the spring.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Might look at some Hardy bamboo's. Very useful and clumping bamboo won't take over. Some shoots are even edible. I assume way to far north for Citrus. I here people have had success with blood oranges farther north, might want to look into them, very good for juicing. Also, mix up your blueberries, don't get just one kind.

Anna is a good apple, or any of the Fuji's, Macintosh is one. Just make sure the Apple trees are close enough to cross pollinate, might want to let a bee keeper use your "Orchard" maybe in exchange for honey. The bamboo will also attract small birds that will help with pollination, mine is loaded with hummingbirds in the spring.

Too far north for blood oranges.
    It's In zone 6.

I've got a beekeeper friend of mine I'm working on talking into helping me establish a couple hives in the spring... I'll put them on one of my house sized boulders so the bears don't get them.

I spent 8 years in the Corps picking out the area, then when I got out I moved to the general area to finish school. Spent 2 years looking, by motorcycle, car, realtors, online, word of mouth, newspapers, leaving business cards, and finally found my 80 acres on Craigslist!

I was originally looking for 5-20 acres, but this was too pretty and too cheap to pass up!

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Btw: I'm looking for game camera recommendations, both for their intended use, as well as setting a couple up and seeing who travels the private road.

Something easy to conceal, with an SD card, which will withstand only being checked every couple months.

ChrisK

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Natchez, MS
    Man, one day I would love to be able to do that. That's awesome land. I enjoy motorcycling in Arkansas, so much that I might retire there one day. That is, if I can ever talk the wife into it.

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    Progress report on the orchard/well/cabin situation? I'd like to see this develop vicariously. I figure I'm still 10 years off from something like this.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Traded time on property for ripping out my mother's flooded garage

Then my grandmother asked for help... Came to NY and helped take care of my grandfather for a few weeks as it had become too much for her. He almost died and I took him to the hospital.

He's now in a nursing home and I'm leaving tomorrow to pick up my airstream in New Hamshire

Along the way I spent 2 days in the VA hospital and found out I now have 2 blown discs in my neck rather than one...
    Possibly from when I picked him up and carried him to my car.

So I'm going to drive to my property and park nearby and hire someone to fix the road rather than doing it myself.

Plant some roses, rasberries, and few other things.

CAREFULLY clean up the trash which is there, and cut some trees and rent a chipper (going to create mulch to build up the organic matter before I plant... Decided it was needful

Can probably stay there till the end of Nov when the cold drives me away.

The well will be put off till spring.

Tween times I have VA appointments in La...

Progress is slow, but WILL HAPPEN

I'll take more pix.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Planted raspberries today, looking for a variety of sweet Nanking cherries...

Ground where I'm going to put in the orchard proves to be a good bit better than I expected, so I'll see what I can do....

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Since my spine is worse I'm (Atleast for a time) abandoning the idea of building a unconventional (Cordwood) house.

I'm getting bids on a 40x40 metal building. I'm planning on getting R30 Spray foam insulation, putting in a couple garage doors so I an pull my Airstream all the way through.
    Also going to put in a couple of bedrooms and a bathroom for guests.
    (Still off the grid)

Couple attic fans and anything else I can do to keep it cool in the summer.

What I plan on doing in May.... Will take pictures.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Got a quote on fixing the road....

It hurts. (But $100 per load of river rock... delivered, and $80/Hour for the Dozer.... not too bad.)

Worst part:

Attachments

• IMG_6255.JPG
      IMG_6255.JPG
      81.7 KB · Views: 74
    • IMG_6257.JPG
      IMG_6257.JPG
      90.2 KB · Views: 85
    • IMG_6261.JPG
      IMG_6261.JPG
      89.2 KB · Views: 86
    • IMG_6263.JPG
      IMG_6263.JPG
      86.4 KB · Views: 89
    • IMG_6267.JPG
      IMG_6267.JPG
      101.4 KB · Views: 82

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Went out with several friends. I like these as he gets closer to the waterfall, it's deceptive, doesn't look as big as it is till he gets close enough.

Attachments

• IMG_6177.JPG
      IMG_6177.JPG
      88.7 KB · Views: 92
    • IMG_6185.JPG
      IMG_6185.JPG
      92.9 KB · Views: 94
    • IMG_6188.JPG
      IMG_6188.JPG
      86.3 KB · Views: 94
    • IMG_6193.JPG
      IMG_6193.JPG