Other people's animals.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Wyldhog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2011
    At my computer
    Yes my anti freeze post was meant as a joke...geez, lighten up people. As a Deputy Sheriff I am all too aware of the legal aspects of carrying out such actions.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Yes my anti freeze post was meant as a joke...geez, lighten up people. As a Deputy Sheriff I am all too aware of the legal aspects of carrying out such actions.

Kind of hard for us LEO to uphold a standard on this site when other LEO post things like that jokingly or not.

•MOTOR51•

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've found it to be very frustrating when you've finally had enough with the neighbors to complain, and are completely ignored. Much less to have property damaged. Where I live leash ordinances are there for a reason. They protect the pets from harm as well as the invasion of one's right to enjoy their home's peacefully. Just my 2 pesos.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    My parent's neighborhood has a leash law that applies for dogs and cats. The HOA takes it seriously...

My neighborhood has at least 4 cats per block. I still think cat owners should be fined every time their cats leave their property.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    It's just a rant for now.
    I have animals/pets in my back yard. Our animals are in a cage with an exercise pen inside my fenced in backyard. I was awoken this morning by to loudly barking dogs with a deep bark not my neighbors little yapping dogs (who roam free and crap in my front yard and driveway but that's a separate issue). It's right at daybreak I pick up my pistol, holstered, and walk around my yard. There are three dogs, only one collared, were feverishly digging under my fence and barking at my animals. I yelled at them and got there attention and let them know I was there, then pulled out my phone and snapped a pic of the dogs, the hole, and my pen on the other side of the fence.
    I know leash laws are rarely enforced but this goes beyond animals just coming in my yard. The only way to get people attention these days is to begin by asking who is liable for the damages that could be caused. Damn shame.
    Now to find the owners and let them know of the issue and see if they make any effort to contain their animals.

If the picture is clear, I would post it, along with your phone-number in VERY conspicuous places. No excuse for not seeing it type places, around the neighborhood, urging them to contact you politely/without ego or threat implied.

If the animals again caused issue worthy of being shot, then I'd shoot them. To me, digging is what dogs do. I wouldn't shoot a dog for digging under a fence unless it was mangy and an obvious stray, was directly coming to attack me or a family member, and I "knew" this without reasonable doubt, or was attacking one of MY pets. Basically I'm just saying, I wouldn't shoot it unless I could put myself in the owners shoes and explain "to myself" why I shot it, and feel that I would begrudgingly accept that it was reasonable.

I'd hate to kill some boy's dog, lets put it that way. Not out for doing that without damn good reason.

Just pick up the shovel, and calm yourself by thinking that this is a drop in the bucket compared to the tens of thousands of dollars you just paid this year for the OTHER things that people won't handle for themselves. Wait. That's not calming. But yeah, shovel and 5 minutes and move on unless something more serious happens.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I have never seen a cat on a leash. Do they heal like dogs?

I don't leash my cat, but I do let it out at night, and when I go to check the mail, etc. it will follow me about 20-30 feet back. I have never seen it cause anyone or anything harm, nor has anything tried to harm it, although it did one time lure a rather attractive girl back to my apartment who was amazed at the size of it (I kid you not, she snapped pictures of it and showed them to me, it half-hidden running behind brush, etc. Creepy ****, but god she was hot!). Anyway, that ring wouldn't come off her finger, so it didn't get too far, but yeah.

Now, I do let it out knowing that it's on its own reconnaissance. I have explained to it about drugs, whores, and gang violence, and it still chooses to go out at night. Big boy rules.

Oh, fine...picture of the girl.

1601481_10202890834294465_1299195552_n.jpg

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I don't leash my cat, but I do let it out at night, and when I go to check the mail, etc. it will follow me about 20-30 feet back. I have never seen it cause anyone or anything harm, nor has anything tried to harm it, although it did one time lure a rather attractive girl back to my apartment who was amazed at the size of it (I kid you not, she snapped pictures of it and showed them to me, it half-hidden running behind brush, etc. Creepy ****, but god she was hot!). Anyway, that ring wouldn't come off her finger, so it didn't get too far, but yeah.

Now, I do let it out knowing that it's on its own reconnaissance. I have explained to it about drugs, whores, and gang violence, and it still chooses to go out at night. Big boy rules.

Oh, fine...picture of the girl.

1601481_10202890834294465_1299195552_n.jpg

Huh?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Kind of hard for us LEO to uphold a standard on this site when other LEO post things like that jokingly or not.

•MOTOR51•
    Agreed. Posting jokes encouraging the killing or injuring of a potential pet just isn't funny.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I couldn't care less about the hole under my fence but they are digging right where my rabbit cage is. The cage is designed to keep rabbits in not necessarily attacking dogs out.
    This is the extent of my social media but my neighborhood is small enough so that I believe I can find their owners by this afternoon.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I dont know why this requires a discussion. If you live out of city limits, shoot it. If you live in city limits, airsoft it or paintball it (this sends the owners a message as well)

If you live out of city limits and it is not immediately recognized as a neighbors pet etc, just shoot it. If shooting isn't an option for whatever reason, here's a tip to stop them from digging at your fence- mousetraps. set them in the holes and cover the wooden trap with loose dirt. Stops the digging short-term

edit: if it's got a collar, different rules apply. call the owner if you can safely apprehend the animal. who knows, it may be the picture above that shows up for fluffy.

Last edited:

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    Wrong. You will go to jail.

•MOTOR51•
    Wrong. My Mom even did it and didn't go to jail. I'd check my facts if I were you.

I didn't say I would do it - I love dogs and probably couldn't. However, it is real easy to shoot it and tell someone the animal acted aggressive.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    yeah Motor is definitely incorrect unless he knows the OP lives in city limits or something.

I shot a neighbors dog that terrorized my animals and trash despite repeated calls. When he came over I told him I'd shoot the next one that came on my property as well. When he called the SO the deputy told him "I'd keep my animals leashed or fenced, he's obviously not bluffing"

and yes- it legitimately acted aggressive to the wife, which in my kingdom is a fatal mistake.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    yeah Motor is definitely incorrect unless he knows the OP lives in city limits or something.

I shot a neighbors dog that terrorized my animals and trash despite repeated calls. When he came over I told him I'd shoot the next one that came on my property as well. When he called the SO the deputy told him "I'd keep my animals leashed or fenced, he's obviously not bluffing"

and yes- it legitimately acted aggressive to the wife, which in my kingdom is a fatal mistake.

Is a lot different than

I have literally been told by a Sheriff that if at any time someone's animals come onto my property shoot them, don't even think about it.

I would trust someone who is a LEO and has probably dealt with this type of issue before, repeatedly, to be correct.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    fwiw I was never asked, and never told the deputy, that the dog growled at my wife. It was on my property despite repeated requests otherwise. My near-exact words to owner and deputy were "If it's a pet, and you are concerned for its well being, keep it at home. If it ventures on my property it's walking on thin ice. If it disturbs my peace or property, its probably getting shot."

the neighbor shared the mistaken mentality of "its illegal for you to shoot it". You trust what you like, I'll trust the mound of dirt that was once his hunting dog.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom