Other people's animals.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    If your pet is not child friendly or has anxiety issues, you have no business bringing it to a park.

That is what dog parks, leashes and socializing the dog is all about. It is not about your children playing with strange dogs. I have seen aggressive dogs being socialized in a dog park while being muzzled and on a leash and being observed by dog trainers.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Your not alone. Can't believe it's being allowed to continue!

You must've missed the post I made on the issue, ban I handed out, and infractions. Make no mistake about it, next person to advocate feeding an animal glass or any other ****ed up **** will be the next one to go on vacation. The joking excuse doesn't cut it with me either.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    That is what dog parks, leashes and socializing the dog is all about. It is not about your children playing with strange dogs. I have seen aggressive dogs being socialized in a dog park while being muzzled and on a leash and being observed by dog trainers.

I agree, but the press release did not mention a dog park, just a park where children are playing. I saw a guy walking a leased dog on Magazine street a couple of days ago. It was also muzzled. First time in my life that I have seen a muzzled dog.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I have never seen a dog wearing a yellow and up until seeing this article about a week ago, had no idea what it meant. A lot of my friends and colleagues have dogs and none had heard of it either.

If this is prevalent in other parts of the country, it needs to be publicized in places it's not so that people can be aware.

The yellow ribbon isn't a bad idea. Adopting rescue dogs is becoming very popular and IMHO opinion it is a very noble endeavor. At some point you have to start letting it interact with other people and animals and this is a good idea for that situation. That said, it better be kept on a leash and under tight control until the owner is sure. If it can be trusted off a leash, then it doesn't need a ribbon. Personally, I have a policy against owning any dog that I haven't raised from a pup. May the Lord bless those that do have the time and patience for rescue animals.

Last edited:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    The yellow ribbon isn't a bad idea though. Adopting rescue dogs is becoming very popular and IMHO opinion it is a very noble endeavor. At some point you have to start letting it interact with other people and animals and this is a good idea for that situation. That said, it better be kept on a leash and under tight control until the owner is sure. If it can be trusted off a leash, then it doesn't need a ribbon. Personally, I have a policy against owning any dog that I haven't raised from a pup. May the Lord bless those that do have the time and patience for rescue animals.

By no means was I trying to say it was a bad idea. I definitely think it's a good idea as well, but when I first read the article, "Tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree" popped into my head and my first thought was that the dog was in some way associated with the military. That's JUST ME though.

I'm with you on the raising dogs part. A lot of people gave me grief when I bought my puppy and while I know a lot of people who have shelter dogs, there's something to be said about the bond between owner and dog when you raise them from the moment you pick them up and bring them home.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    I have literally been told by a Sheriff that if at any time someone's animals come onto my property shoot them, don't even think about it.

that is great, and expected I suppose.

...but I'm not sure how one would fair in the aftermath....I suggest the OP try to round them up and bring them to the nearest shelter, unless you see them hurting your own animals, then defend them if necessary. If you can't round them up or find owners (if they have one), then try some of these:

http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Dogs-off-Lawn

http://www.pet360.com/product/6411/keep-off-dog-and-cat-repellent#prodinfotab

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    By no means was I trying to say it was a bad idea. I definitely think it's a good idea as well, but when I first read the article, "Tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree" popped into my head and my first thought was that the dog was in some way associated with the military. That's JUST ME though.

I'm with you on the raising dogs part. A lot of people gave me grief when I bought my puppy and while I know a lot of people who have shelter dogs, there's something to be said about the bond between owner and dog when you raise them from the moment you pick them up and bring them home.

Didn't mean to quote you in that post rather the post after or before yours. Haven't had my coffee yet this morning.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    fwiw I was never asked, and never told the deputy, that the dog growled at my wife. It was on my property despite repeated requests otherwise. My near-exact words to owner and deputy were "If it's a pet, and you are concerned for its well being, keep it at home. If it ventures on my property it's walking on thin ice. If it disturbs my peace or property, its probably getting shot."

the neighbor shared the mistaken mentality of "its illegal for you to shoot it". You trust what you like, I'll trust the mound of dirt that was once his hunting dog.

All argument of legality aside, the dog ain't coming back!

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    If you have a mysterious stain on your driveway under the engine compartment of your car, touching it with your finger and lightly tasting can tell you if it is oil (engine, trans, or power steering), fuel, antifreeze, plain old AC condensation, or battery acid.

I just take mine to the shop... :) But that does make sense.

Old_Demon

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    If you have a mysterious stain on your driveway under the engine compartment of your car, touching it with your finger and lightly tasting can tell you if it is oil (engine, trans, or power steering), fuel, antifreeze, plain old AC condensation, or battery acid.

I've never tasted any of the fluids (not intentionally at least) but I generally rub it between my fingers and smell it. Always worked well for me.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

Is that what you do? PM me your address if you don't mind. I want to put some mysterious stains under your car while you sleep and see if we can get you to taste them in the morning :)

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport

Smell and color usually do it without me having to put that junk on my tongue.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    It's just a rant for now.
    I have animals/pets in my back yard. Our animals are in a cage with an exercise pen inside my fenced in backyard. I was awoken this morning by to loudly barking dogs with a deep bark not my neighbors little yapping dogs (who roam free and crap in my front yard and driveway but that's a separate issue). It's right at daybreak I pick up my pistol, holstered, and walk around my yard. There are three dogs, only one collared, were feverishly digging under my fence and barking at my animals. I yelled at them and got there attention and let them know I was there, then pulled out my phone and snapped a pic of the dogs, the hole, and my pen on the other side of the fence.
    I know leash laws are rarely enforced but this goes beyond animals just coming in my yard. The only way to get people attention these days is to begin by asking who is liable for the damages that could be caused. Damn shame.
    Now to find the owners and let them know of the issue and see if they make any effort to contain their animals.

The owner doesn't care about those dogs or they would have them behind a fence. Do whatever you must do humanely (quick) to protect your animals from them. That's not cruelty it is commonsense. Just don't let anyone know what you did. :ninja:

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ehatger1456
    Top Bottom