Sandy Hook School shooting thread

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    They made comment on the 4th gun in the trunk a shot gun and shot guns can hold large drug magazines.

Lowbrow

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    New Orleans
    No matter what, I see that gun owners will be demonized. They will try to enact restrictions, but regardless of that the hobby of shooting will be portrayed in our culture as being somehow sick, weird, and shameful. An activity that no reasonable person should have an interest in, due to the harm and destruction that guns cause. (Just imagine an article in Jezebel, Slate, or the New York Times saying something along these lines. It's not hard.)

Another way I can say it, although it doesn't quite capture the full extent of what I think is about to happen in popular culture: Shooting is about to become the new smoking. (Remember the days when smoking cigarettes wasn't demonized? Nowadays, what is our society's attitude towards smoking?)

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    No matter what, I see that gun owners will be demonized. They will try to enact restrictions, but regardless of that the hobby of shooting will be portrayed in our culture as being somehow sick, weird, and shameful. An activity that no reasonable person should have an interest in, due to the harm and destruction that guns cause. (Just imagine an article in Jezebel, Slate, or the New York Times saying something along these lines. It's not hard.)

Another way I can say it, although it doesn't quite capture the full extent of what I think is about to happen in popular culture: Shooting is about to become the new smoking. (Remember the days when smoking cigarettes wasn't demonized? Nowadays, what is our society's attitude towards smoking?)

No one ever recognizes the similarities until it is something that they do that is on the **** list, and not something that just affects other people.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    In Resonse to the Sandy Hook Elementary Shooting: Our Future.

The problem I have with this nation is that we are a group of people who are intelligent as individuals and very, very stupid as a mass. Like any other of the problems facing this nation, the answer to School violence (if there is one) is probably complicated, expensive, and very difficult. And we don't like that. We don't want a difficult solution, we want a convenient easy one. And in reality, there are no easy solutions. Instead of looking at the mental health care system and overhauling that as a step to help preventing these horrific school shootings, we want to make one small change and pretend that it will make a difference. That small change will be gun control. And after we as a nation pass a sweeping set of new draconian laws, we can then lie to ourselves that we made a difference, and we are good, caring, compassionate, progressive people. It will allow us to feel better about ourselves and we will be able to go to sleep at night feeling like we acted. But in the end, it will not accomplish anything toward rectifying the real problem. And when we are are like the UK and China and have some of the highest incidents of knife crime in the World, the Media and the Politicians will clamor that we have a knife problem and begin legislation to take the knives away. All the while, never being smart enough to realize that the problem will continue to exist no matter what the tool that perpetrator manages to get his hands on. This is our future.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    They made comment on the 4th gun in the trunk a shot gun and shot guns can hold large drug magazines.

I heard that as well. I assume that it was a Saiga 12 based on the drum magazine comment.

Feinstein was on Meet the Press this morning. No surprise to any here that she is introducing another "assault weapons" bill in the next Congress. Pick up at about 1:45 in the video.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032608/vp/50215770#50215770

“I’m going to introduce in the Senate and the same bill will be introduced in the House, a bill to ban assault weapons. It will ban the sale, the transfer, the importation and the possession. Not retroactively but prospectively. And it will ban the same for big clips, drums or strips of more than 10 bullets. So there will be a bill. We’ve been working on it now for a year.”

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    The problem I have with this nation is that we are a group of people who are intelligent as individuals and very, very stupid as a mass. Like any other of the problems facing this nation, the answer to School violence (if there is one) is probably complicated, expensive, and very difficult. And we don't like that. We don't want a difficult solution, we want a convenient easy one. And in reality, there are no easy solutions. Instead of looking at the mental health care system and overhauling that as a step to help preventing these horrific school shootings, we want to make one small change and pretend that it will make a difference. That small change will be gun control. And after we as a nation pass a sweeping set of new draconian laws, we can then lie to ourselves that we made a difference, and we are good, caring, compassionate, progressive people. It will allow us to feel better about ourselves and we will be able to go to sleep at night feeling like we acted. But in the end, it will not accomplish anything toward rectifying the real problem. And when we are are like the UK and China and have some of the highest incidents of knife crime in the World, the Media and the Politicians will clamor that we have a knife problem and begin legislation to take the knives away. All the while, never being smart enough to realize that the problem will continue to exist no matter what the tool that perpetrator manages to get his hands on. This is our future.

The solution is cheap, easy and simple. The government should respect 2A and teachers should have firearms. It shouldn't be against the law for me to carry my gun into my sons school. My sons teacher last year use to compete with a shotgun, now she RO's the matches. I guarantee she could stop a active shooter before he knew what hit him.

Here is the divide, there is any easy solution to almost every problem we face. Eliminate the government program that is in place.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I wonder if the shooter was a member of any firearm related boards? I would love to know if was and if he had a history of posting wacky stuff...

JR1572

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Indeed...That is what it MAY take to stop this sort of thing or at least lower the body count.
    Because when we have armed guard's working our Mall's,Bank's,Armored car's Jewel's and other event's vs. a sign that this is a gun free zone at the entrance of most school's then this just tell's me that society as a whole we place more value on monetary gain and protection than we do on children.This is a general statement about the nation and not directed at you sir.

I'll wait for his response.

JR1572

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    The solution is cheap, easy and simple. The government should respect 2A and teachers should have firearms. It shouldn't be against the law for me to carry my gun into my sons school. My sons teacher last year use to compete with a shotgun, now she RO's the matches. I guarantee she could stop a active shooter before he knew what hit him.

Here is the divide, there is any easy solution to almost every problem we face. Eliminate the government program that is in place.

The true reality is there is no simple solution to this problem. It is going to take a multi-stage, cooperative effort on many levels to reduce the risks of these incidents. An overhaul of the current laws, culture and restrictions concerning mental health will be needed. A common sense approach to "gun control" will be needed.
    Many members here have this belief that "gun control" is a naughty word. They draw a metaphorical line in the sand and refuse to listen or accept anything less than unimpeded lack of restrictions. The reality is that firearms, in the hands of violent or troubled individuals, can be use to commit extreme violence. These individuals can pose a threat to our family, friends and neighbors. Some measure of restriction and accountability is neccesary.
    The fact is "gun control" is not as dirty of a word as some people seem to make it. The fact that an individual convicted of violent felonies cannot purchase or possess a firearm is "gun control". The fact that a six year old cannot purchase a shotgun and ammunition and target shoot at the local playground is "gun control". The ordinances in place to prevent the local group of immature 18 year old "playstationers" from performing "Modern Warfare" drills in their backyards are a form of "gun control".
    The reality is that "gun control", in some form, is completely neccesary. As members of the firearms community, we absolutely must support it, because it helps to protect our culture, heritage and families. We have to approach it carefully, though.
    We need to assist in helping to form and implement common sense gun legislation that will help to solve the issus that surround our society. We know that assault weapon bans, magazine restrictions and other such measures aren't going to work. Individuals, hell bent on destruction, are going to carry out violence, regardless of legal implications and consequences. There is nothing we can do to stop them. The recent shooter at Sandy Hook could have done more damage with glass bottles full of gasoline and a book of matches. The only thing we can do is attempt to prevent them, and be prepared to stop and mitigate them when they occur.
    It is going to take more than arming teachers to prevent this. It is going to take more than securing the school buldings to prevent this. There will always be instances in which groups of individuals are vulnerable.
    What we need to do is participate in the solution. Right now, many people are once again drawing the proverbial line in the sand. Once again, it is them versus the Liberals. The Liberals versus them. Both sides want a total implementation of their beliefs, with neither side considering what is actually in the best interest of the society.
    The solutions required to fix the violence problem in our society are not simple. We aren't going to fix this by saying, "If the teachers were armed, this wouldn't have happened, or wouldn't have been as deadly." An armed individual may or may not have ended this tragedy. There is a possibility that it could have been ended much more quickly.
    The reality is, it still would have occured, and children still would have died, even if in lesser numbers. It still would have been a great tragedy.
    Many times I read members post here, and it seems to me that some have developed this fatal concept of, "My gun is an end all."
    After the Aurora tragedy, I read post after post of members who stood in the firm belief that if they had been there with a weapon, if someone had been there with a weapon, the tragedy would have avoided and the shooter would have been the only casualty.
    I really think some people truly believe this. I think some people put on their gun and develop this false sense of security. This idea that when a situation goes bad, they draw their weapon and end it. The truth is drawing your weapon is only the first step in a long process. Being armed gives you a great advantage, but firearms only play a small part in surviving deadly situations. Firearms are a part of all of our lives, I just feel that some people lives center around them.
    Mine doesn't. My life centers around my wife and family. Firearms are just one small part of my life that I can use to support and protect my true focus: my family.
    If we truly want to protect ourselves and our children, we are going to have to stop and take serious, multi-stage approaches to doing so. Mental health reform is part of the solution, and "Gun Control" is very much a part of it, as well. Common sense approaches to restrictions and accountability involving firearms is absolutely necessary, and I think we, as the firearms community, should welcome and participate in these changes, instead of standing behind rhetoric and refusing to be a part of it. There are many policies, actions and restrictions we can take concerning firearms that make sense. Just my .02

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    The true reality is there is no simple solution to this problem. It is going to take a multi-stage, cooperative effort on many levels to reduce the risks of these incidents. An overhaul of the current laws, culture and restrictions concerning mental health will be needed. A common sense approach to "gun control" will be needed.
    Many members here have this belief that "gun control" is a naughty word. They draw a metaphorical line in the sand and refuse to listen or accept anything less than unimpeded lack of restrictions. The reality is that firearms, in the hands of violent or troubled individuals, can be use to commit extreme violence. These individuals can pose a threat to our family, friends and neighbors. Some measure of restriction and accountability is neccesary.
    The fact is "gun control" is not as dirty of a word as some people seem to make it. The fact that an individual convicted of violent felonies cannot purchase or possess a firearm is "gun control". The fact that a six year old cannot purchase a shotgun and ammunition and target shoot at the local playground is "gun control". The ordinances in place to prevent the local group of immature 18 year old "playstationers" from performing "Modern Warfare" drills in their backyards are a form of "gun control".
    The reality is that "gun control", in some form, is completely neccesary. As members of the firearms community, we absolutely must support it, because it helps to protect our culture, heritage and families. We have to approach it carefully, though.
    We need to assist in helping to form and implement common sense gun legislation that will help to solve the issus that surround our society. We know that assault weapon bans, magazine restrictions and other such measures aren't going to work. Individuals, hell bent on destruction, are going to carry out violence, regardless of legal implications and consequences. There is nothing we can do to stop them. The recent shooter at Sandy Hook could have done more damage with glass bottles full of gasoline and a book of matches. The only thing we can do is attempt to prevent them, and be prepared to stop and mitigate them when they occur.
    It is going to take more than arming teachers to prevent this. It is going to take more than securing the school buldings to prevent this. There will always be instances in which groups of individuals are vulnerable.
    What we need to do is participate in the solution. Right now, many people are once again drawing the proverbial line in the sand. Once again, it is them versus the Liberals. The Liberals versus them. Both sides want a total implementation of their beliefs, with neither side considering what is actually in the best interest of the society.
    The solutions required to fix the violence problem in our society are not simple. We aren't going to fix this by saying, "If the teachers were armed, this wouldn't have happened, or wouldn't have been as deadly." An armed individual may or may not have ended this tragedy. There is a possibility that it could have been ended much more quickly.
    The reality is, it still would have occured, and children still would have died, even if in lesser numbers. It still would have been a great tragedy.
    Many times I read members post here, and it seems to me that some have developed this fatal concept of, "My gun is an end all."
    After the Aurora tragedy, I read post after post of members who stood in the firm belief that if they had been there with a weapon, if someone had been there with a weapon, the tragedy would have avoided and the shooter would have been the only casualty.
    I really think some people truly believe this. I think some people put on their gun and develop this false sense of security. This idea that when a situation goes bad, they draw their weapon and end it. The truth is drawing your weapon is only the first step in a long process. Being armed gives you a great advantage, but firearms only play a small part in surviving deadly situations. Firearms are a part of all of our lives, I just feel that some people lives center around them.
    Mine doesn't. My life centers around my wife and family. Firearms are just one small part of my life that I can use to support and protect my true focus: my family.
    If we truly want to protect ourselves and our children, we are going to have to stop and take serious, multi-stage approaches to doing so. Mental health reform is part of the solution, and "Gun Control" is very much a part of it, as well. Common sense approaches to restrictions and accountability involving firearms is absolutely necessary, and I think we, as the firearms community, should welcome and participate in these changes, instead of standing behind rhetoric and refusing to be a part of it. There are many policies, actions and restrictions we can take concerning firearms that make sense. Just my .02

God bless you. This is one of the most perfect posts I've read here.

We can train and train and train. Until we're witnessing children being shot and killed in front of our faces, nobody can guarantee a reaction. We assume that "if I had been there", it might would have altered the event.

This is such a hugely complicated situation. I do agree it happens in gun free zones. There is something to be said there. But I also think we need to look extremely close at our mental health care and hippa privacy laws.

Last edited:

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA

That isn't a solution to the problem. Your son's teacher may be a great shooter, but the average elementary school teacher is not prepared for or maybe not even willing to be an armed guard for the students. I imagine there are few teachers that would be able to handle an active shooter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

JamesBlake

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012

This...+1

Recruit , train and POST certify volunteers from the community to man security at schools. Expensive to train ...yep. Would also take a process for who to accept. Put real resistance in the schools, all the psychiatrists in the land won't be unable to un-knot this whacked out society.

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I agree with what you are saying.... BUT this incident happened in one of the strongest gun law areas.... Like you said though, until the mental health care system is fixed, nuts will keep doing things like this..

Top Bottom