Sandy Hook School shooting thread

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TruBrew

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    New Orleans, La
    So many emotions fill me when I hear stories like this. I have been watching a lot of the news today to learn as much information as is being provided. I am of course like everyone else devastated by the tragedy that occurred. the majority of victims being children makes it worse, but those adults that have died can not be forgotten either.

While I feel no sympathy for the dead shooter, as he committed unspeakably horrible acts, I am upset by the fact that these sort of events continually happen and nothing is done. Like most people here, I am a gun advocate, and believe it is possible that less people would have died if it was legal to conceal carry in schools. However, I can not hang my hat on that notion. Assuming the staff had the right to carry, it does not mean they would have, or that the shots would hit the shooter. A person with a mental illness is not going to be discouraged from going on a shooting rampage because they believe those around may have weapons.

As a member of the health care industry, what bothers me is the country's lack of support for the mentally ill. I am not concerned about how we keep the mentally ill from buying guns, but how we keep them from having thoughts of harming others. I have worked in the mental health industry in New Orleans and it is sadly lacking resources, as are many places around this county. We consider it an issue not worth dealing with, look at Southeastern. Many people judge those with mental illness differently than those with other illness, even thought they all need medical treatment. I obviously know nothing about this shooter and have to desire to defend him, or his actions. I only mean to say that many people with mental illnesses are afraid to ask for help do to the fear of being shunned or looked down on.

I didn't mean to go on a rant, but I do hate when the media overplays the gun issue and loves to throw around the words high capacity, assaut weapon and high powered. It is simple to blame the tool, but overlook the source of the problem. It is how so many cities, like New Orleans blames the guns for the murder rate, when the real problem is education and opportunity.

Anyone is of course welcome to disagree with me, but those are simply me fews on the subject. I would like to end by saying that my thought are with all of the children and family of the community.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    So many emotions fill me when I hear stories like this. I have been watching a lot of the news today to learn as much information as is being provided. I am of course like everyone else devastated by the tragedy that occurred. the majority of victims being children makes it worse, but those adults that have died can not be forgotten either.

While I feel no sympathy for the dead shooter, as he committed unspeakably horrible acts, I am upset by the fact that these sort of events continually happen and nothing is done. Like most people here, I am a gun advocate, and believe it is possible that less people would have died if it was legal to conceal carry in schools. However, I can not hang my hat on that notion. Assuming the staff had the right to carry, it does not mean they would have, or that the shots would hit the shooter. A person with a mental illness is not going to be discouraged from going on a shooting rampage because they believe those around may have weapons.

As a member of the health care industry, what bothers me is the country's lack of support for the mentally ill. I am not concerned about how we keep the mentally ill from buying guns, but how we keep them from having thoughts of harming others. I have worked in the mental health industry in New Orleans and it is sadly lacking resources, as are many places around this county. We consider it an issue not worth dealing with, look at Southeastern. Many people judge those with mental illness differently than those with other illness, even thought they all need medical treatment. I obviously know nothing about this shooter and have to desire to defend him, or his actions. I only mean to say that many people with mental illnesses are afraid to ask for help do to the fear of being shunned or looked down on.

I didn't mean to go on a rant, but I do hate when the media overplays the gun issue and loves to throw around the words high capacity, assaut weapon and high powered. It is simple to blame the tool, but overlook the source of the problem. It is how so many cities, like New Orleans blames the guns for the murder rate, when the real problem is education and opportunity.

Anyone is of course welcome to disagree with me, but those are simply me fews on the subject. I would like to end by saying that my thought are with all of the children and family of the community.

While your story is valid, and I whole heartedly agree with it; it doesn't sell "newspapers!" If you get my drift?!?

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I think Essex had a thing against police specifically.

He actually had two things that were eating him up: the hatred of the government (LE included) and his hatred of white people.

It should be noted that the first person he shot, the police cadet Alfred Harrell, was black.

JR1572

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    I'd like to start off firstly by saying that I'm deeply saddened by this. Such a senseless waste of innocent lives. Our prayers go out to all affected by this. There are no words to describe the sadness of what happened.
    I'd also like to say I seriously hope this doesn't cause any sort of gun control in the sense everyone here seems to think it will. I've recently returned from a 4 month vacation from back home in Australia, and can easily say gun control doesn't work. We have seriously strict firearms laws, and have had so ever since the Port Arthur massacre in 1996. Yet during my 4 months back home, I saw easily 5 or 6, if not more news reports about shootings. If gun control works, then why did I see so many reports of shootings in a country with such strict gun control laws? No matter what, the scum WILL always get what they want, no matter what and by any means necessary. Here's hoping the Government here doesn't leave us all as sacrificial lambs for the criminals to do with as they please.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    This is truly a tragedy of unfathomable magnitude...

As a father, I sympathize with the families of these children and, as a paramedic, I empathize with the emergency responders who had to deal with this...

We, as a nation, should be taking the time to mourn the loss of these children but, instead, many are using it as a launching pad to further their agendas for more restrictive gun control...

I've been reading and listening to all of these new calls for gun control in light of this event...it seems that what many of these gun control advocates don't realize is that this is not a gun control issue...This event didn't happen because of a lack of gun control laws...The guns used in this crime were legally owned by someone else in a state that has some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation. If anything, this tragedy shows that someone who is determined to commit such a heinous crime will find a way to do so, regardless of the written law.

I noticed on CNN this morning, that they were saying a Glock and a SIG "revolver" were used in this crime. These gun control advocates don't even know anything about what it is that they are trying to regulate. This shows an ignorance that is on the same level as racism.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Today isn't about gun control, or politics.

Today is about grief of losing so many people senselessly to a depraved murderer. Today is about anger that someone took it upon themselves to bring horror into an elementary school.

My prayers, and tears go out to the famlies and first responders.

~Cat

You are right. Yesterday wasn't the time about gun control or politics. But apparently today is. I woke up this morning and turned on "CBS This Morning, Saturday" and the topic du jour is Gun Control. Really media? Less then 24 hours after these children are taken from us and you are already pushing this same agenda that you always push. I've been watching for 30 minutes and you haven't even talked about one of the victims yet, but you definitely have tried to tell me that if you take away one of my freedoms, that somehow that legislation will make me safer. Here's a little note to you, you can't legislate Evil out of existence. There are people in this world who will do harm to others with or without any tools that you might try to take away. And you are sick degenerate people for already turning your back on the victims to push your filthy agenda.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Does anybody else besides me have a problem with reporters interviewing children that were involved right after this went down?

Heck, let's throw the parents in with the reporters too!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Does anybody else besides me have a problem with reporters interviewing children that were involved right after this went down?

Yep!

It is a wretched thing they do. It really is something that makes me hate them more than most. They are phony despicable people. So I wonder if they are coerced into being scumbags by their bosses, or are their asperations to advance up the ladder at their repsective media outlets turning them into insensitive garbage?

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla

I do. A big problem. Reports are coming through how teachers kept them calm by reading or explaining it as hammers, officers instructed the kids to close their eyes walking out. And these reporters are undoing that attempt to lessen the psychological damage.

Last edited:

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    No doubt that anti gun talk is just around the corner if it's not already here. I don't give two shits about anti gun laws...they don't work. BUT...that's not the main issue here...at least for me. Protecting children is. My child,my sibling's children,my friends children and just children in general. Not saying that this trajedy would be lesser if no kids were killed...a killing is a killing. However,children were murdered. Some of whom are my son's age (5). I can't tell you how much I sobbed about this and couldn't wait to pick up my son from school today.

We need more security in our schools and I don't care how elaborate or inconvenient it may be...I can deal with it knowing my child will be safe. I'm actually running out of words writing this reply because I'm still so overwhelmed by all this. I think that teachers and school staff should be properly armed and trained and I think they should be able to choose if they want that option. Metal detectors,security guards,bio scans,whatever it takes. Schools are targets,just like malls,movie theaters and fast food restaurants. We live in this society now that we have to take extreme caution in going about our daily duties. Sad but true...it's time to wake up!

I still advocate condition yellow but sometimes I feel like going orange...if you know what I mean.

Put your child in PRISON. Because that's what you describe so he can be safe

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    If someone is willing to trade their life, to take others, there is nothing that can be done to stop them. No law, no penalty, no ban is capable of preventing their murderous rage. The instrument that they wield and the devastation they create could be lesser or greater depending on their creativity. If he had chained all the doors shut and carried a few 5 gallon gas cans we could be talking about 600 bodies and never a shot fired. You just can't stop a insane person. The politicians need to understand you cannot legislate sanity.

If we can put armed guards in every bank we should be able to put them in a school they are just as much at risk.

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    If someone is willing to trade their life, to take others, there is nothing that can be done to stop them. No law, no penalty, no ban is capable of preventing their murderous rage. The instrument that they wield and the devastation they create could be lesser or greater depending on their creativity. If he had chained all the doors shut and carried a few 5 gallon gas cans we could be talking about 600 bodies and never a shot fired. You just can't stop a insane person. they politicians need to understand you cannot legislate sanity.

If we can put armed guards in every bank we should be able to put them in a school they are just as much at risk.

Jesus. That sent chills down my spine.

And I agree.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    What? Every bank doesn't have an armed guard. And the ones that do get robbed as well

True. I think the point is, the sentiment is that these events only seem to happen in gun free zones. It might would still happen, but isn't it worth the opportunity to try allowing teachers to be armed if they so wish?

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    True. I think the point is, the sentiment is that these events only seem to happen in gun free zones. It might would still happen, but isn't it worth the opportunity to try allowing teachers to be armed if they so wish?

Yes. It is time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom