So I caught a coon...*THE SAGA CONTINUES*

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c10seven

just a guy
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Prairieville
    If they are like cats it will be back, I brought a cat 10 miles away and across interstate and it was back within a week. I have been too lazy to trap it and bring it across the river.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Take him a little further next time. Travel west on I-10, pass the Atchafalaya River. Go south on 3177. I would say, about a mile and just drop him off on the levee. Make sure you leave some sort of identifying mark, like paint on the tail or something. I really want to see if that 'coon makes it back.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    My uncle used to tell me that the way to test to see if a pet rabbit is safe to eat is throw it down on the ground as hard as you can. If it bounces, don't eat it. Im sure this will work on a coon too.

Coon should be bled and cleaned quickly after killing to prevent the meat from taking on a gamey taste. If you didn't shoot it but found it, and don't know how long it was laying there, add more spices to these recipes to mask the gamey taste. Or just hold your nose while you eat it if it's really bad.

Cut off the head and feet, then skin it. A good pair of plyers work really good. Make sure you get those musk glands off of the front of the legs using your fingers and knife, they'll stink up the meat real good if you don't. Wash your hands real good after you get em off so you don't stink up the meat touchin it. Remove all the fat from the meat, and cut it into pieces. Throw it in a pot of cold water, put in a lot of salt and soda and soak it the fridgerator over night - if you're from West Virginia you can use an ice chest.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    UPDATE: guess what woke me up this morning? :curse:

For now I'm gonna force myself to believe it's not the same bastard. Must be more than one coon violating my attic. Sure...

If it is him, my mind will be blown. And then I'll blow his mind with a round 55gr XM193 5.56.

Could he really travel this far in less than 24 hours?

Time to set the trap out again... :curse:

Be careful that sucker must have had training.

Raccoon-Soldier-22778.jpg

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    It probably is the same coon, and yeah, your probably not going to be able to catch him again... At least with the same trap.

So my options for catching him are...?

I will try to block his little cave entrance again when I'm sure he's gone, other than that I'm at a loss for what to do. Shoulda stabbed the ****er when I had the chance.

XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Thats all I can figure is to block his entrance/exit. You could poision, but chances are he's just using your place for a nice place to sleep and he's full on his way in, but poision is messy and not selective, I would only suggest it as a last resort. Bottom line, always kill a coon the first chance you get. Its the only real way to stop your problems.

Maybe try a new/ different trap, but keep in mind, you taught him what happens when it goes into a trap, and it probably didn't like it...

Almost forgot, After way too much trouble and way to much damage done at a location that was unfriendly to any of my .22's a nice quite pellet gun did the trick for my problem... But that is for you to decide.

Last edited:

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I released him in a protected area about 4 miles down the road and over the interstate. If he makes it back to my house he deserves to stay, I'll even give him the master bedroom.

I have been retained to represent Mr. Rocco Racoon, and would like to call your attention to the fact that the above statement is evidence of a contract, ie., a set of legally enforceable promises.

There is an agreement, in that your offer (quoted above) was accepted by my client.

There is consideration, or a bargained for exhange of value: you agreed to give Mr. Racoon the perpetual use of your master bedroom, and Mr. Racoon agreed to undertake the rigorous challenge of returning overland, unaided.

There is a lawful object of the contract, to wit, the use of your master bedroom.

And there is capacity to contract. As you are of the age of majority, there is no issue with your capacity (the decision to engage a racoon does not rise to the legal level of mental incompetence). One could argue that Mr. Racoon does not have the capacity to enter into a contract, but this is a contract for necessities, ie. lodging. The courts generally allow the enforcement of such contracts for the benefit of the party who otherwise would lack legal capacity to contract.

We expect you to satisfy your obligations under said contract, and hereby put you on notice that we intend to seek an injunction should you make any further attempt at eviction of my client.

Top Bottom