The average CCW issue time?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    Just got back from the Slidell gun show and guess what was waiting for me in the mailbox?? That was quick I think. I dropped it off on June 26. It has an issue day of July 10th. 18 days till it was in my hands.

bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570
    Man, am I glad I drove to Baton Rouge and turned in my paperwork instead of mailing it! Turns out that the teacher at the CC class didnt tell me that the affidavit expires 90 days after you take the class. He just told me to hold off on turning in my paperwork till I got closer to the 90 day window for my old license to expire which is in October( I was doing renewal, not 1st time license) Well I went through my paperwork the other night and my wife & I decided it is close enough to turn it in. I drive to BR with my paperwork filed out as well as hers. I got to the counter and at first, the lady told me the affidavits had expired and were no good then walks into the back. I am biting my tongue but at the same time thinking to myself WTF!!!??:mad: Well, she comes back and we both look at them together and I am at the 87th day since the affidavit forms were filled out, so my wife and I are okay, thanks goodness!!!!:bigok:
    I turn in both of our paperwork which only takes about 3-4 minutes for her to look through and stamp approval on, and I'm quickly on my way back home. This was on July 10th, and my wife just called a few minutes ago with the news that she just came home from work, checked the mailbox and lo and behold, both of our licenses are in there already.
    Turned in applications on July 10th, they were processed and offically approved 7 days later on July 17th and we have them in our hands on July 20th!! 10 days total beats the **** out of waiting 3 months any day!! Hot damn, Im happy!!:D
    Guys, let my experience be a warning to you as well, be very careful and observant of the dates that you took your classes and especially when the affidavits were signed as this could have turned out very different for us had I waited just 3 more days(i.e. a complete wasted trip to Baton Rouge and a day lost, as well as paying a notary a second time to sign 2 more affidavits and further delay in recieving our licenses.) This would also not have worked out so well if I had mailed them instead of driven to the LSP office, as they would definitely have been expired at that point! Timing is EVERYTHING on this stuff!!!

Last edited:

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    Yesterday, being the 23th day of July. 2012, I had to attend to some work related issues in Baton Rouge at the LA State Police HQ. A Registered Nurse friend wanted to get a CCW and had all the required paperwork ready and rode down with me. Printing was done there. The RN is a life long resident of the state, never arrested or divorced, no military affliation and the papers were turned in. A surgeon was to go with us but scheduling would not allow it. He mailed his paperwork in last night after being printed by the local PD. He also has a spotless record. Each will call me when their permit arrives.

I will post the dates and we can see if going to BR made a difference. There will be a five day allowance made for mail delivery.

It will be interesting to note what happens.

Last edited:

tudobem

Non-conformist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Hammond
    Got mine today! The wife and I submitted our applications and got fingerprinted at LSP HQ on June 21st. She received hers exactly 2 weeks later on July 5th, with an issue date of June 28th. She had no prior arrests, military service, etc. Mine took 5 and a half weeks to receive (39 days) with an issue date of July 23rd, so it also took a week to travel in the mail from BR to Hammond. Mine took longer due to prior military service and a 10 year old DWI, I guess.

We had originally mailed our packets in, but only sent 1 fingerprint card. We got them back in 3 weeks informing us of the need for an additional card, which is when we decided to just got to LSP HQ. All of the paperwork was stamped as received, so I don't know how much of the processing took place on that first attempt.

pea.shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Went to lsp hq on July 16th to turn in all my paperwork. Received permit on the 26th, with an issue date of the 25th. 10 business days for processing. I did live in aNother state within the 15 year period, but had nothing else on my application.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I'm going to drop off my renewal on Monday. Where exactly do I need to go? Is the CHL unit inside the actual HQ building? I know there are a bunch of buildings on the LSP complex.

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    I'm going to drop off my renewal on Monday. Where exactly do I need to go? Is the CHL unit inside the actual HQ building? I know there are a bunch of buildings on the LSP complex.

As you drive in, its the big building directly in front of you. You will go in the front door and hook a right. The CCW counter in right there. Can't miss it.

bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570
    As you drive in, its the big building directly in front of you. You will go in the front door and hook a right. The CCW counter in right there. Can't miss it.

also there are two "windows" at the counter that was just mentioned, if you have all of your CCW info and stuff, you will want to get into the 2nd line from the right(save yourself some time vs finding out after waiting in the wrong one like I did at first :rolleyes: )

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Man, am I glad I drove to Baton Rouge and turned in my paperwork instead of mailing it! Turns out that the teacher at the CC class didnt tell me that the affidavit expires 90 days after you take the class. He just told me to hold off on turning in my paperwork till I got closer to the 90 day window for my old license to expire which is in October( I was doing renewal, not 1st time license) Well I went through my paperwork the other night and my wife & I decided it is close enough to turn it in. I drive to BR with my paperwork filed out as well as hers. I got to the counter and at first, the lady told me the affidavits had expired and were no good then walks into the back. I am biting my tongue but at the same time thinking to myself WTF!!!?? Well, she comes back and we both look at them together and I am at the 87th day since the affidavit forms were filled out, so my wife and I are okay, thanks goodness!!!!:bigok:
    I turn in both of our paperwork which only takes about 3-4 minutes for her to look through and stamp approval on, and I'm quickly on my way back home. This was on July 10th, and my wife just called a few minutes ago with the news that she just came home from work, checked the mailbox and lo and behold, both of our licenses are in there already.
    Turned in applications on July 10th, they were processed and offically approved 7 days later on July 17th and we have them in our hands on July 20th!! 10 days total beats the **** out of waiting 3 months any day!! Hot damn, Im happy!!:D
    Guys, let my experience be a warning to you as well, be very careful and observant of the dates that you took your classes and especially when the affidavits were signed as this could have turned out very different for us had I waited just 3 more days(i.e. a complete wasted trip to Baton Rouge and a day lost, as well as paying a notary a second time to sign 2 more affidavits and further delay in recieving our licenses.) This would also not have worked out so well if I had mailed them instead of driven to the LSP office, as they would definitely have been expired at that point! Timing is EVERYTHING on this stuff!!!

I don't really keep up with all the application deadlines, but I believe they normally require you to submit forms within 60 days of having them notarized. Sound like they cut you some slack. :)

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    May have changed since spring-summer '11 when I got my LA concealed carry permit, but I waited 12 weeks from the time the application arrived at LSP until it was mailed to me. I used digital prints done by a local law enforcement agency. No divorces or prior military experience. Moved to LA nearly 34 years ago. When I called to check on the status of my application, I was told the last few days of the wait was because the office that prints the permits had run out of printer ink.

TOTH:

There was time a time, a few years ago, when all the average processing time for permits was much longer than now.

Using a local LEO digital scanner for prints is better then "ink & roll" prints, but is not as good as using the scanner at LSP HQ. If you use the LSP scanner your prints are instantaneously submitted for review as soon as the scan is complete.

The current wait time is as has been reported. A "clean" application seems to be taking anywhere from 10 to 20 business days. One of my secretaries got hers in 7, and one got hers in 14. My renewal took 17 days, so they make fun of me.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Dropped my renewal today. Easy peasy. As an added bonus I may have spotted the gangsta verenza over by the crime lab as I was leaving, ;)

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Dude you could be killed for spotting the ninja venza in the wild. Be afraid. :ninja:
    I could make a case against ninja death since my truck is a jacked up 4x4 and the aformentioned ninja is, well, shall we say.......Although, he could have ninja climbing spikes so I'm phuq'd either way! :run:

:D

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom