The Shootrite Katana

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    Ok , I talked with Tiger this morning . These where the high points . The price is the price . If you don't like it , don't buy it . I'm not discussing it . There is ONE model with a single buttstock option . When you place the order , tell me which one you want . There is no "drop menu" , it ain't Leggo's . Any furniture or parts changes will be done by the end customer . The day every other builder supplies a spec sheet listing every nut , bolt and washer and their history from conception to abortion , we will too . There are people out there who trust Tiger to know what to put into a AR . There are people out there who trust me to do anything I take on in a honest and competent manner and stand behind it . That's our customer base for the Katana Rifle . Hell , we've given out more on this rifle then I've ever seen anyone do , when is enough enough ? If it ain't for you , fine . One question , does anybody really think I would put my name on somthing that I thought was overpriced hype ?? Really think that ??? Come on , look at my track record , look at how I price everything else I do . If I'm charging $5.00 or $500.00 , it's because that's what it has to be .

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    Things that are typically taken for granted on a high end, fighting carbine, but just the same...

M4 feed ramps?
    Chrome lined barrel and chamber? [
    M16 bolt, staked key? Who makes it?
    Mil-spec tube, heavy buffer? Different for the A1?

As all of the parts are MPI'd, I'm assuming these and other small (but essential) considerations are in place. Nonetheless, some will ask it before they buy and it's never a bad thing to have in your sales pitch. Along with the barrel material, unless I just overlooked it.

Great concept and beautiful execution. Just because I get the finishing touches on my new AR delivered on Friday does not mean I won't buy one. Darn you for picking this release date! :D
    Yes on the ramp's , Chrome moly on the barrel , Daniels Defense on the bcg , went mil spec on the buffers , tubes . Thank you , Pangris has one , if you get a chance , make him go shooting with you . They really are neat little rifles . Will

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge, More or Less
    Back around 1999 I got one of the first of those flat top/ no forward assist uppers from Les Baer and built my first lightweight carbine.

Scrounging parts that no one had interest in making or selling [like lightweight barrels, A1 stand alone rear sights] and turning an idea into a gun was a lot more work than nowadays. Tiger's basic carbine is very similar to what I came up with back then.

Nowadays, there are more companies making dubers and doodads for ARs than ever before. Some are good. Some are crap. Some make sense for some people in some job fields and not so much in others.

I love my EO Tech sighted, SureFire lit M4 with all the bells & whistles. But I really appreciate the simplicity of a basic lightweight carbine and, truth be told, I'm more likely to grab my A1 stocked, A1 sighted carbine as a teaching gun when I'm teaching with an ArmaLite pattern gun.

There are plenty of AR/M4 options but the elegant simplicity of the base model Katana is very appealing to me.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Pangris has two, actually :)

Tiger and I built four prototypes and each kept two. The two in the photos against the wood are Tiger's. Teddy's pics against the black background are mine.

1. Who actually refers to themselves in the third person now-adays geez?
    2. What is the total weight on a rifle like that without the mount or optic?

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    That is unloaded, without optics, and/or optic rail? Does that include the rear sight as well or no? Listen this might sound nit picky but I literally cut my toothbrush into a quarter of its size to manage weight while hiking. Every ounce counts.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Well it looks like a nice rifle, and I'm sure since you build it it is top notch.

But It needs a new name, Shootrite Katana just sounds flat out GA-HEY. I'm sure there is some backstory on the name but it flat out sucks. ONly Ninjas need karate rifles.

Shootrite Academy Carbine sounds good. A no nonsense name for a no nonsense rifle.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Well it looks like a nice rifle, and I'm sure since you build it it is top notch.

But It needs a new name, Shootrite Katana just sounds flat out GA-HEY. I'm sure there is some backstory on the name but it flat out sucks. ONly Ninjas need karate rifles.

Shootrite Academy Carbine sounds good. A no nonsense name for a no nonsense rifle.

That makes it sound like an AR designed for St. Joseph's (Academy) or maybe a novice just learning to shoot.

How about Shootrite Ultralight

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    Yes the Shootrite Ultralite sounds good.
    I love it . But I promise , it ain't going to happen . From buttplate to flash hider , the rifle is set in stone . It's already been on a couple radio station's and has 3 or 5 magazine write up's submitted that will be published over the next 2 to 5 months . there is a lot of love for this little rifle .

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    There is quite a bit of back story to the name. Most of the armchair/internet commandos who decry this carbine wouldn't begin to understand the mindset behind Tiger's immersion in the art of fighting.

This is his "baby", the result of a tremendous amount of thought and experiences.

I won't bore anyone with any more on that subject, but will leave you with this thought:

The Katana is for the fellow who appreciates art, and likes artful tools; as opposed to the guy who just wants something that works to his level of expectation. Neither mindset is bad; just different.

The difference is like the fellow who buys an HK or four-figure 1911 as opposed to the fellow who buys a Glock. The expensive pistols won't do anything substantive, or shoot better than, the plebian one. Yet the more expensive ones sell quite well.

So to all the nay-sayers with their churlish cries of "Its too expensive!"... nobody is making you buy one.;)

NOW THAT MAKES SENSE:cool:

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    There is quite a bit of back story to the name. Most of the armchair/internet commandos who decry this carbine wouldn't begin to understand the mindset behind Tiger's immersion in the art of fighting.

This is his "baby", the result of a tremendous amount of thought and experiences.

I won't bore anyone with any more on that subject, but will leave you with this thought:

The Katana is for the fellow who appreciates art, and likes artful tools; as opposed to the guy who just wants something that works to his level of expectation. Neither mindset is bad; just different.

The difference is like the fellow who buys an HK or four-figure 1911 as opposed to the fellow who buys a Glock. The expensive pistols won't do anything substantive, or shoot better than, the plebian one. Yet the more expensive ones sell quite well.

So to all the nay-sayers with their churlish cries of "Its too expensive!"... nobody is making you buy one.;)

Dang , if I could articulate half as well .....

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    i think i like the version i see w/ the A1 upper, chrome bcg, and the YHM-like (Red-Jacket's threaded flash suppressor), well that's what i think that flash hider is.

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    the YHM-like (Red-Jacket's threaded flash suppressor), well that's what i think that flash hider is.
    I would have liked that too . Oh well , we are available for custom work..... Just 'cause Tiger took advantage of our "You dream it , we'll build it" thing doesn't mean we dropped it after he came along ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom