The Shootrite Katana

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Nolacop,

Why don't you and Pangris get together and go shoot this beast!

And get Teddy to photograph it all.

:hi5:

Last edited:

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I love the look and idea behind this rifle. I don't know if it is because I am a hiker but weight is a huge issue to me and a highly mobile, compact, light, reliable rifle (non-SBR) is a niche I don't think has been filled in the commercial AR-15 market. It seems like everyone is going heavier with quad rails, accessories, and piston guns etc. All and all I dig the concept.

I have one question and I don't want to come off as an ******* but it is what it is....

Why the gap between the front sight and the carbon fiber hand guard where the gas tube can be seen? Is that just a prototype issue? Once more are produced will it be tightened up?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Nolacop,

Why don't you and Pagris get together and go shoot this beast!

And get Teddy to photograph it all.

:hi5:

You mean like this?

_N1S9930.jpg

Last edited:

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    I love the look and idea behind this rifle. I don't know if it is because I am a hiker but weight is a huge issue to me and a highly mobile, compact, light, reliable rifle (non-SBR) is a niche I don't think has been filled in the commercial AR-15 market. It seems like everyone is going heavier with quad rails, accessories, and piston guns etc. All and all I dig the concept.

I have one question and I don't want to come off as an ******* but it is what it is....

Why the gap between the front sight and the carbon fiber hand guard where the gas tube can be seen? Is that just a prototype issue? Once more are produced will it be tightened up?
    I'm a A1 guy myself , I think staying in that mindframe was the idea behind this rifle . No , that gap is there to stay , you're seeing the final version . I think the photo kinda enhances it .

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm a A1 guy myself , I think staying in that mindframe was the idea behind this rifle . No , that gap is there to stay , you're seeing the final version . I think the photo kinda enhances it .

Is that an intentional design feature or maybe a result of handguard selection??:confused:

Does it place the gas tube in any danger of damage?

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    Pangris is a little mad at me right now....LOL

First glance , without seeing a actual spec sheet , you couldn't know what we have into these . Having written a few check's though , trust a brother , they are pricey ****ers to build . Anyway , personalities aside , if you get a chance to check one out , take it . They really are a joy carry/use . Will

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    First glance , without seeing a actual spec sheet , you couldn't know what we have into these . Having written a few check's though , trust a brother , they are pricey ****ers to build . Anyway , personalities aside , if you get a chance to check one out , take it . They really are a joy carry/use . Will

I hear ya. No doubt about the parts being pricey. I also have no doubt it is a fantastic rifle that will function flawlesslessly....I think some just are not seeing where the price is coming from considering other options on the market.

It appears from others that it is the parts that are driving the price. ANy chance we can get a spec run down. I think I remember reading in the write up that there were no "competition" style triggers. I think many are just wondering what special parts make it so pricey?

i definitely understand a premium since it is hand made and coming out your shop, but there is not a clear picture why the price is high to some.

Is it the barrel, etc? That would probably cut out a lot of the speculation and trash talk about the price if people knew what the special components were.

Admittedly, I am not a "builder" kind of guy, I am a buyer kind of guy. LOL. So, I am not 100% in the know on current prices on components outside normal milspec type stuff.

Will, if this rifle were being made by someone else, exactly the same, would you pay the same for it?

Just curious....keep up the insane builds though. :D

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Things that are typically taken for granted on a high end, fighting carbine, but just the same...

M4 feed ramps?
    Chrome lined barrel and chamber?
    M16 bolt, staked key? Who makes it?
    Mil-spec tube, heavy buffer? Different for the A1?

As all of the parts are MPI'd, I'm assuming these and other small (but essential) considerations are in place. Nonetheless, some will ask it before they buy and it's never a bad thing to have in your sales pitch. Along with the barrel material, unless I just overlooked it.

Great concept and beautiful execution. Just because I get the finishing touches on my new AR delivered on Friday does not mean I won't buy one. Darn you for picking this release date! :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Alfred92
    Top Bottom