what do you shoot?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Gripes on Glocks....none really for my own personal experience. Even the grip angle doesn't bother me.
    Gripes on XDs....a couple. When mags are dirty,slide does not stay open after last shot. They are a bit bulky and cumbersome. Would I use either of them for self defense? Why,yes. If I had to conciously think about what I'm going to carry on any given day it would a Glock or J frame OR Glock AND J frame on my ankle.

Comparing the Glock vs XD for CC I would,hands down pick a Glock for many reasons....the main reason being is that it works...period. I don't hate XDs...I actually like them but they do have faults. Internally speaking,I can't comment on their quality of parts,but functionality requires just a tad more thinking process that should be reserved for keeping yourself alive rather than having to disturb the flow of motion and the mechanics of draw,presentation,shoot,cover and assess and so on and so forth.

XD may seem like it has less recoil due to the fact that it has a double recoil spring but it actually has more of a rocking motion due to it's slide mass and high bore axis as opposed to the low bore axis on the Glock which keeps the gun steadier although felt recoil can be more pronounced.

XDs do feel very comfortable to hold naturally and natural point of aim is almost immediate. I tend to be more "range accurate" with the XD for this reason. I can do without the grip safety but that's kind of a moot point for me. Overall the XD is a good gun and is a second choice for a hi cap sd gun. With that said,Glocks have been flawless for me which would put it at the top of the list. There's nothing to think about and no gadgets and levers to worry about. It's just there...point and shoot and you're done for the day. Of course,even point and shoot requires alot of training.

As to your innacuracy with double action revolver shooting.....shoot more effectively...in other words....practice,practice,practice. Work on your grip/hold,breathing and follow through. Maybe lighten up the trigger a bit. Your double action shooting shouldn't have that much of an accuracy defecit vs your single action. There's always going to be a difference but it shouldn't be night and day as you have mentioned.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    For 16 years I carried the same Sig P229 every day.

In those years, I put who knows how many rounds through it.

That weapon functioned every time I pulled the trigger. A trigger and internals that I didn't have the luxury of putting in any aftermarket parts.

My point is that regardless of what kind of trigger you have, you CAN shoot it well and without incident or complaint.

So quit bellyaching about this gun's trigger or that one's trigger and go shoot the damned things!

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    You didn't have a FTF. You had a magazine break. My bet is you or somebody else ****ed with it and broke it. HK, walther, glock, S&W, Beretta, and SiG all make better guns than the xD.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I have owned Glocks and tried to like them. They shot accurate enough and were reliable, but I couldn't make myself adjust to the stupid (for me) grip angle. I put quite a few thousand rounds through my G34 before I gave up on it. I now own 2 XD's. One is a carry gun (service9) and the other is for competition (tac9), neither of which have ever given me a single problem. I couldn't care less what others think about my Croation pieces of crap. They work and I can shoot them very well.
    Stick with what you have and spend the money on ammo and get proficient. Don't let people that you don't know and may be nothing more than "keyboard-comandos" tell you how to spendYOUR money.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Yea, no.

We have given detail after detail, explination after explination, and get tired of going OVER AND OVER the SAME THING.

Search is your friend.

Sorry I had to do this, only because it was done twice. explination is explanation. Other than that I agree with your post, carry on. :hi5:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I don't shoot competitively, myself, but I wish I had the time to do so. My flirtations with it proved to be immensely fun. Having said that, a friend of mine who is HEAVILY into just about every firearms competition he can find, told me a couple years ago that he'd picked up a Tanfoglio Witness, and it was the best pistol he'd ever fired. He provided several reasons during the evening of drinking, and I decided to look into it. Well the Witness is horrendously expensive, so I wrote that off. A few months later my Century rep called me to tell me of some "odd-lot" guns they were selling, and for $200 I ordered a double-barreled shotgun and a Tanfoglio. The only information I could get about either gun was the shotgun was Spanish (Generally not good), and the Tanfoglio was an automatic. For $200 I decided to take the chance.

The Tanfoglio that I got was called a "Force". My research turned up nothing. I showed photos of the gun here, and everyone said it was a Witness. I ordered Witness magazines, since mine had no mags. They didn't fit. In frustration I phoned Fratelli Tanfoglio, and bitched. He said the Force was a European gun that wasn't sold in the US, but he could send me the mags.

Turns out this gun is quite good at putting the rounds where I want them to go. A light, smooth trigger, and very little recoil in a 13-round 9mm makes this a very good gun to shoot. Like most double-stack handguns it's thick and shows very plainly if one were to try to carry it concealed, but for taking out bowling pins or orange clays at 40 feet, it's the cat's whiskers. I really love this handgun, and I recommend it. I'm more accurate with it than with any other handgun I've tried.

By the way, the shotgun I ordered with the Tanfoglio turned out to be a very old Ugartechea with beautiful case-hardened side locks nicely engraved. When I called my Century rep to tell him about it he said first, "Yeah I decided to order one too, and as I expected it was a piece of crap." His wasn't an Ugartechea. I was lucky. I decided not to tell him about it.

Last edited:

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    To the OP....go to Home Depot and get a framing hammer. Works for self defense and nothing to fear with ftf, ftf, fte...ad nauseum.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Both are fine weapons, and I haven't the time nor the inclination to go over the myriad of pros and cons that each gun has.

However, I am definitely partial to the Glock line. I, personally, own several Glocks, and for me it comes down to one word:

simplicity

Glocks are just that...simple. No manual safety, no bells and whistles, just a gun that shoots when you need it to shoot no matter what. The XD9 is reliable as far as i'm concerned, but I value simplicity over anything else.

If you want a gun that will never let you down, Glock is a sure bet.

Think of Glock like a Honda that has less safety features but proven reliable; and XD like a Hyundai with more features for the same or lower price but not as long a track record.

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    if you don't want to help, don't comment, your comments have only spurred arguement. I posted to seek help, not a fight. Obviously i'm not going to get that here.

Thanks to those of you who did try to offer some help, I'll take a look at what you suggested
    I'll help. I have had an XD, a Glock, and an M&P. None of the three have failed in my hands. None of my buddies' have failed that I have witnessed.
    At the end of the day, only one of two things will matter in a S/D handgun.
    1. Are you comfortable/familiar with it?
    2. Does it fire when your booger hooker yanks the bang switch?

We can all argue over what the best platform is. The bottom line is that the best pistol is the one you have in your hands when you find yourself needing one.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    if you don't want to help, don't comment, your comments have only spurred arguement. I posted to seek help, not a fight. Obviously i'm not going to get that here.

Thanks to those of you who did try to offer some help, I'll take a look at what you suggested

No you didn't.

Cauz I've been here (With others) many times...

If you were REALLY looking for help, all the other times we have helped people find the threads, reposted, etc.

You come off with an attitude.

By.

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    here you go OP

sig p210
    sig p220
    sig p226
    sig p230
    sig p238
    sig p250
    sig mosquito
    colt paterson
    colt dragoon
    colt navy
    colt army
    colt peacemaker
    colt m1900/2
    colt 1911
    colt anaconda
    colt mustang
    colt diamondback
    colt king cobra
    s&w 34
    s&w 36/37
    s&w lemon squeezer

.....f**k it i really dont feel like going that far for a joke.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    The dirty little secret is that pretty much all $500 and up handguns will work when you need them to... if you do your part. Some will fail. That's b/c NONE of them are 100% perfect all the time.

Dave is right. If you like the XD, shoot it. Take it, put a few thousand rounds and shoot in some of the local matches and make your decision.

You should know that this site is very pro-Glock, but there is alot of good information here. Most are right about the XDs short comings, but it probably won't matter.

Anyways, glocks suck.

howaglockworks.gif

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    For home defense how about a Remington 870?

No normal caliber handgun is going to have great stopping power. There are thousands of glocks issued in about 3/4 of every police department in the country. They can't be all bad. I'm not a glock fan (lack of style more than anything else- they're plastic- then again there's a keltec in my pocket right now...) but they do work.

Steve, I lol'd on the couch shooting comment!

Top Bottom