Ccw Traffic Stop Protocol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I haven't been pulled over since I got my CHP. I am always respectful of an officer, period...official or unofficial capacity. I always try to talk to them as peers and in a candid, light hearted, manner. Usually they do not comply, sometimes they will.

If an officer disarmed me and cleared my firearm after I handed them my CHP and Info I wouldn't like it, but I would respect it. If they ran my #'s I would like it less, but again I would respect it. If an officer disassembled my firearm after writing me a ticket during an otherwise respectful stop...I'd be a pissed off, just like I am when they don't shake my hand. I pretty much assume that they are the worlds biggest umm, jerk? in the world. I'll still be nice, but I don't forget. I probably wont file a complaint but I will be bitter. I know that you've got that bottle of Purell in your car, so do I.

I give respect, and I don't mind not getting it in return but don't disrespect me as an honest man that is a peer in society. A badge doesn't make a man, a badge doesn't make a person a good person...their impact on society and the way they live their lives makes them those things.

Its funny when people look at their impact on society in a one sided manner, it should be transparent.

If you're a jerk, or I perceive you as a jerk, I will think that you're a jerk. I will instantly think that anyone that looks like you is a jerk, and as a result I will always resent you and everyone that looks like you. No matter how much I may love some of those people once I get to know them.

Bad cops make all cops look bad, there's no sense in being borderline.

I'm trying to get home alive too, every day...and as long as you don't point your guns at me or my loved ones we're probably both going to get home alive.

Dude you are trip.

I love it.

Last edited by a moderator:

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    I clear every gun, seperate it from the ammo, run the serial # and leave the gun and parts in the car and inform the violator where they are and not to reload until down the road. Every gun, same thing, every time.

I dont disassemble strange guns, alot of them I dont know how to, and there is no telling what they got billy bob the gun plumber down the street to do to that thing to make it unsafe.

This is how I would expect it to happen. Nothing more, nothing less.

HOLY THREAD BLOW UP BATMAN !:rofl:

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by topgunz1 View Post
    I clear every gun, seperate it from the ammo, run the serial # and leave the gun and parts in the car and inform the violator where they are and not to reload until down the road. Every gun, same thing, every time.

I dont disassemble strange guns, alot of them I dont know how to, and there is no telling what they got billy bob the gun plumber down the street to do to that thing to make it unsafe.

This is how I would expect it to happen. Nothing more, nothing less.

HOLY THREAD BLOW UP BATMAN !

The only problem I have with this is why run the numbers on the gun? If it takes less than a minute, no problem, but I do not want to wait for this to be done. Unless you have a reason to suspect that its stolen, why would you check on a piece of metal and plastic?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Nola, I don't want to harp on this but...
    I ran into a problem several years ago in springfield. I was driving my wife's saturn with she and my then 2 year old daugther in the back, returning from their state park. Not exactly a high threat situation... anyway, after the speed limit fluctuated a few times (kinda like Golden Meadows if you know what I mean) I was stopped for 10 over. He took my paperwork. I wasn't carrying on me so I didn't mention the permit. I don't know if he spotted it in my wallet or if it came up when he ran me, but he spent a solid 5 minutes chewing me out for not identifying myself as a ccw. When he stopped me he didn't ask if I had a weapon so I didn't bring it up, plus my paperwork wasn't in the same compartment as the weapon so I wasn't concerned. It ticked me off.
    I called the CCW dept at LSP and they verified that if the gun wasn't on my person I didn't have to mention it.

As far as tactics for your safety, I'd vote against field stripping the gun. You're right about most people not being able to reassemble. None of my business and I know I don't have the right to criticize your abilities... but if you're alone and field stripping one gun that you're not familiar with, what if they have a spare? Are they secured when you're doing this? Is your attention on the people or on handling an unfamiliar loaded weapon? Either way seems unsafe. I'm an insurance agent, not a cop, but I especially don't like paying life insurance claims...

Instead of me just criticizing, how about a helpful suggestion... why don't you cut up some scraps of plastic and put them in as chamber flags? Maybe it'll even keep those guns safe at home? Or, if you really want to disable the gun, some long cable ties, like they do at gun shows. That disables the gun for a while but does no permenant damage. IF you really want to go further, call a few gun manufacturers and ask them to donate some gun locks. You can lock up the gun and give them the key when you leave.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Yep I have to say the same thing, IMHO it doesn't matter where you are BR or NO, I would have told you immediately where it was, BUT if you had attempted to go into the console of my truck, we would have had a problem. For one thing, if you asked me to exit the vehicle I would close and lock the door behind me. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you had no right or reason to go into his vehicle w/o permission let alone remove and dismantle his weapon. The only reason you should confiscate a weapon during a traffic stop is for YOUR safety, with his gun inside the console and him standing outside that weapon is no threat to you or anyone else. It is also MHO that when you know that I have a permit to carry you should give me the same or close to the same respect you would another police officer. If you stopped someone that was an active LEO from another state or a Fed would you disarm him, let alone dismantle his weapon?? Why not? As the carrier of a permit my background is as clean as his and I should be just as trustworthy. And before it's mentioned again I have been through the EBRSO reserve academy.

Oh and I will add that in said situation, you would be incapable of dismantling my Hi-point .45 with out a hammer and punch to remove the roll pin :D

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Golden Meadow. Bah!

I set my cruise control EVERY chance I get, but sometimes you do not have that option. If you stop a fellow Emergency responder @ 4AM for going 4 MPH over the posted limit and issue that said person a ticket, you are a prick! That was quite a few years ago, but none the less.

That would be like me withholding pain meds (and I have access to some good stuff :D) to a fellow officer,first responder or firefighter. F^$G BS! I knew one medic/ER-RN that was like that. I told him if I ever found out about him pulling that %#i+, I would catch him after shift change and whip his ass. Never had a problem with him or hearing stories about him after that. Hey man, I look out for my own, albeit, a fellow LEO, medic, firefighter, medical professional, even if I don't know you..BUT...if I don't know jack about you, I will be a little paranoid at first. I try not to be an arrogant @ss about what I do, but if I am asked, I tell the officer. I am proud of what I do.

Nolacopusms, I appreciate the advice, thank you. I do not condemn what you did on that call or for what you do and how you do it when making routine traffic stops. FWIW, he was very clear that the said individual who violated 2 laws was agitated or frustrated, so that would have put me on alert from the start. I am not even an LEO, but I do not want to be shot or even have that as an option. I can draw from concealed pretty quick, but I am sure I am no match for a L&L officer with a piece exposed on his hip, when my mag is on the seat or floor next to me & my "paperweight" is on the back seat! :rofl: I would probably even make a joking comment about how slow he took it apart and state that I could break down his weapon quicker than him, but then come on here and post about what a d-bag he was. ;) Nahh, if I didn't get a ticket, I probably would come on here and state what a cool guy he was. There are some really great LEO's here in Iberia Parish, you just have to go shooting with them a few times! BTW, always let them shoot in the X more than you! ;):D

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Nola, I don't want to harp on this but...
    I ran into a problem several years ago in springfield. I was driving my wife's saturn with she and my then 2 year old daugther in the back, returning from their state park. Not exactly a high threat situation... anyway, after the speed limit fluctuated a few times (kinda like Golden Meadows if you know what I mean) I was stopped for 10 over. He took my paperwork. I wasn't carrying on me so I didn't mention the permit. I don't know if he spotted it in my wallet or if it came up when he ran me, but he spent a solid 5 minutes chewing me out for not identifying myself as a ccw. When he stopped me he didn't ask if I had a weapon so I didn't bring it up, plus my paperwork wasn't in the same compartment as the weapon so I wasn't concerned. It ticked me off.
    I called the CCW dept at LSP and they verified that if the gun wasn't on my person I didn't have to mention it.

As far as tactics for your safety, I'd vote against field stripping the gun. You're right about most people not being able to reassemble. None of my business and I know I don't have the right to criticize your abilities... but if you're alone and field stripping one gun that you're not familiar with, what if they have a spare? Are they secured when you're doing this? Is your attention on the people or on handling an unfamiliar loaded weapon? Either way seems unsafe. I'm an insurance agent, not a cop, but I especially don't like paying life insurance claims...

Instead of me just criticizing, how about a helpful suggestion... why don't you cut up some scraps of plastic and put them in as chamber flags? Maybe it'll even keep those guns safe at home? Or, if you really want to disable the gun, some long cable ties, like they do at gun shows. That disables the gun for a while but does no permenant damage. IF you really want to go further, call a few gun manufacturers and ask them to donate some gun locks. You can lock up the gun and give them the key when you leave.

Wow.
    Gun locks. Nice.
    However, my point once again.
    Right or wrong, chosing not to tell, or failure to tell can cause you greif, Right or wrong. Just say something.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Yep I have to say the same thing, IMHO it doesn't matter where you are BR or NO, I would have told you immediately where it was, BUT if you had attempted to go into the console of my truck, we would have had a problem. For one thing, if you asked me to exit the vehicle I would close and lock the door behind me. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you had no right or reason to go into his vehicle w/o permission let alone remove and dismantle his weapon. The only reason you should confiscate a weapon during a traffic stop is for YOUR safety, with his gun inside the console and him standing outside that weapon is no threat to you or anyone else. It is also MHO that when you know that I have a permit to carry you should give me the same or close to the same respect you would another police officer. If you stopped someone that was an active LEO from another state or a Fed would you disarm him, let alone dismantle his weapon?? Why not? As the carrier of a permit my background is as clean as his and I should be just as trustworthy. And before it's mentioned again I have been through the EBRSO reserve academy.

Oh and I will add that in said situation, you would be incapable of dismantling my Hi-point .45 with out a hammer and punch to remove the roll pin :D

I understand that opinions are like a..holes, most of you have one, but until you do what I do, you really do not speak from a position of knowledge or experience. Even some that may be leo may have a different opinion, but so many of you have commented on this thread, that you really have no idea what uyou or talking about.

You may just be lucky and have never been stopped, or maybe you were stopped by Barney Fife. I am only speaking about reality.

Fact. If you got pulled over for a traffic violation and were ordered to exit your vehicle and " For one thing, if you asked me to exit the vehicle I would close and lock the door behind me. " You would go to jail.

I am sure when you "went through the EBRSO reserve academy", unless it was 50 years ago, ;) they covered state laws requiring occupants to exit when commanded, and yes this includes passengers.

I just find it so humorous peole who speak about these perfect theoretical scenerios who have never experienced." I would" "You should." If you did that to me"

Guys, we live in different times. An officer temporarily detaiing your weapon, either for his safety or to run a check on it, is not a violation of your rights. **** relax. If he kept it, or shot yourprecious ammo in the air yeah.

And your comment about what if it is a fellow leo. Are you serious? Use your head. Jesus that was a foolish statement.

Please read all 8 pages at this point before you comment. You would see that I did not sidmantle this guys gun. i have never dismantled a chp gun, or even a leo gun. It was a ststement about known criminals or people who would cause even you crazy gun uts to keep your hands a little closer to your strong side.

Lastly, I would love to learn how to take down one of those High Points. I could make a killing teaching the Brothers how change out murder barrels. LOL

:hs:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Damn guys. I just got in from a night out with the girl who likes to lick beer off the table and all hell broke loose on this thread.

First of all, I wasn't planning to drive to New Orleans for Hooters but I just might for one reason: I want to meet you. I'll buy your chicken wings if I'm wrong, but after reading all the last 6 pages, you sound more and more like a troll from arfcom. No disrespect because I'm probably wrong, but you just don't talk like a real LEO.

Does anybody know this guy??

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Golden Meadow. Bah!

I set my cruise control EVERY chance I get, but sometimes you do not have that option. If you stop a fellow Emergency responder @ 4AM for going 4 MPH over the posted limit and issue that said person a ticket, you are a prick! That was quite a few years ago, but none the less.

That would be like me withholding pain meds (and I have access to some good stuff :D) to a fellow officer,first responder or firefighter. F^ BS! I knew one medic/ER-RN that was like that. I told him if I ever found out about him pulling that %#i+, I would catch him after shift change and whip his ass. Never had a problem with him or hearing stories about him after that. Hey man, I look out for my own, albeit, a fellow LEO, medic, firefighter, medical professional, even if I don't know you..BUT...if I don't know jack about you, I will be a little paranoid at first. I try not to be an arrogant @ss about what I do, but if I am asked, I tell the officer. I am proud of what I do.

Nolacopusms, I appreciate the advice, thank you. I do not condemn what you did on that call or for what you do and how you do it when making routine traffic stops. FWIW, he was very clear that the said individual who violated 2 laws was agitated or frustrated, so that would have put me on alert from the start. I am not even an LEO, but I do not want to be shot or even have that as an option. I can draw from concealed pretty quick, but I am sure I am no match for a L&L officer with a piece exposed on his hip, when my mag is on the seat or floor next to me & my "paperweight" is on the back seat! :rofl: I would probably even make a joking comment about how slow he took it apart and state that I could break down his weapon quicker than him, but then come on here and post about what a d-bag he was. ;) Nahh, if I didn't get a ticket, I probably would come on here and state what a cool guy he was. There are some really great LEO's here in Iberia Parish, you just have to go shooting with them a few times! BTW, always let them shoot in the X more than you! ;):D

Thanks Chuck. I won't even get started on the topic of writing other first responders. There is huge stink over here about that. That is a whole nother thread. LOL.

NEVER WITHHOLD PAIN MEDS :D

However, you do bring up a good point.Like I said before. What starts off as a nice encounter for speeding or no seatbelt, can and has turned into a gunfight for a multiptude of reasons to include nothing more than the motorist suddenly not liking the officer's tone. I am not going to let anyone have a weapon within reach while I am "being an ******* and writing the a ticket," which lets face it, they don't deserve it because the light was yellow and they never speed.

traffic stops are always a negative experience for most people. SOme are handled positively, but when stopped, at minimum, the motorist is inconvienced by losing their time, even if all they receive is a warning. You never know what someone is dealing with on any given day, and you pulling them over, being professional and courteous, but writing them 100-300 dollars in tickets and making them late to work, can very well be the starw that turns that father of four, who is about to be divorced because his wife is cheating on him and he is being layed off, all while his mother died last week, into guy that has enough and starts shooting.

It's a documented fact. It happens. I just don't want to be the guy he starts throwing rounds at.

Bryan

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2007
    Hammond, LA
    Fact. If you got pulled over for a traffic violation and were ordered to exit your vehicle and " For one thing, if you asked me to exit the vehicle I would close and lock the door behind me. " You would go to jail.

Please clarify what you mean here. It looks like you are saying that if you pull someone over for a traffic violation and they exit the vehicle (per your request) and close and lock the doors, you are taking them to jail. Is this what you mean. I hope not.

dragginaknee

Gun Addict!!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 7, 2006
    Northshore (north of Covington)
    you might want to take a retake the academy again nola! Try the real one and not the reserve one! You should not be a cop by the way you handle situations and your comments! If my slide on my $2500 1911 was taking apart by some reserve cop I would be pissed. I would also be pissed if I got shot because you took my gun apart then drove off!! You have no right to take a gun apart! you only need to clear it and seperate the mags from the gun!!

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Hey just curious, Nolacopusmc, you say you are LSP registered as a CCW instructor. Mind giving up some contact info and the name you are registered under at LSP so some of us might sign up for one of your classes?

You can PM me with those details and I'll keep them private if you wish for some reason.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Hey just curious, Nolacopusmc, you say you are LSP registered as a CCW instructor. Mind giving up some contact info and the name you are registered under at LSP so some of us might sign up for one of your classes?

You can PM me with those details and I'll keep them private if you wish for some reason.[/QUOTE}

While I doubt that is what you really want to do, they are listed on the LSP instructor sheet as Brannon LeBouef.

I do not do formal classes as a group. I just registered a couple months ago. I do however do tactical training.

i am thinking of starting a "Weapons field sripping for the patrol officer" class though.

Just kidding.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Please clarify what you mean here. It looks like you are saying that if you pull someone over for a traffic violation and they exit the vehicle (per your request) and close and lock the doors, you are taking them to jail. Is this what you mean. I hope not.

LOL. No, not at all. I meant if you were ordered out, refused to exit,and then just lock yourself in basically, you would mor than likely be looking at a swat roll. Especially if you had already advised the officer you were armed. Circumstances depending of course.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    you might want to take a retake the academy again nola! Try the real one and not the reserve one! You should not be a cop by the way you handle situations and your comments! If my slide on my $2500 1911 was taking apart by some reserve cop I would be pissed. I would also be pissed if I got shot because you took my gun apart then drove off!! You have no right to take a gun apart! you only need to clear it and seperate the mags from the gun!!

I knew it wouldn't be long before some ****** made a comment like this.
    Kiddo, shut up. i hate to scare you, but I teach at the academy, the real one. I write policies, the real ones. Keep your ill-tempered comments to yourself. When you are older, I will explain to you how the big biys handle things.

Mature people do not take one incident, that is a discussion about tactics and or interpretation of law, and attempt to tear down someones character with their first post. Go to bed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    LOL. No, not at all. I meant if you were ordered out, refused to exit,and then just lock yourself in basically, you would mor than likely be looking at a swat roll. Especially if you had already advised the officer you were armed. Circumstances depending of course.

SOrry about th, I miss quoted his statement. However, some people have tried that, locking themselves in. Usually they are emotionally disturbed. No, if you were told to exit and locked the doot behind you, there is nothing wrong with that.

The whole thing i am talking about is officer sfaety. SO many of you guys are taking this personally, With the exception of a couple of people who would probably let their mouths get them in troubl, gun or not, most of you would never encounter a problem with leo because you are normal rational people.

Please stop trying to use this one incident, which I have said repeatedly is not the norm. To judge me as a person or officer. Not that I really care, but I just find it frustrated that people who are so intelligent and deligent about an important topic like 2nd ammendment righta can be so narrow minded when it comes to such a simple thing.

Bryan

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2007
    Hammond, LA

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought I was probably misunderstanding what you meant.

Top Bottom