Why is a $3K 1911 better than a $389 Glock 19?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Gus, no, you may not.
    Assimilation is inevitable.
    Resistance is futile.

Buy me a G19 and I will use/carry it. I don't have a problem with Glocks (other than they are wrong). I'll generally tell people that's what they should look at..... or a wheel gun depending on the circumstance. They are a fine gun if all you are concerned about is utility. They just aren't that high on my list.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Buy me a G19 and I will use/carry it. I don't have a problem with Glocks (other than they are wrong). I'll generally tell people that's what they should look at..... or a wheel gun depending on the circumstance. They are a fine gun if all you are concerned about is utility. They just aren't that high on my list.

You missed the Borg reference :(

DS727

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Denham Springs
    VG, I don't know what's gotten under your bonnet lately, but every time you show up in a thread, it's always to be negative and confrontational with people.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Sorry man I thought we were having a discussion and I was just disagreeing with something you posted. I wasn't being negative or confrontational.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    People like 1911's because it makes them think they can shoot. At least that's why I liked mine. It took me a lot more rounds to accurately shoot a 19 than a Kimber and I'm still not there.

I think they make fun toys but the only person I know who carried one seriously, themcfarland, switched to a P30 and I don't think he's going back.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    People like 1911's because it makes them think they can shoot. At least that's why I liked mine. It took me a lot more rounds to accurately shoot a 19 than a Kimber and I'm still not there.

I think they make fun toys but the only person I know who carried one seriously, themcfarland, switched to a P30 and I don't think he's going back.

You can't use Fanboi Dave as an example. Come on, he is a lefty, had a custom built long range rifle and had it made a righty!

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    You can't use Fanboi Dave as an example. Come on, he is a lefty, had a custom built long range rifle and had it made a righty!

h2003ED5E

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    As a LEO you should know that a 1911 would handle nailing up wanted posters better than something made out of plastic.

Damn.... as a 1911 owner I should be ashamed of myself. :wtc:

FALSE!!

[video]rtsp://v1.cache3.c.youtube.com/CjYLENy73wIaLQnCjIuBillD_BMYDSANFEIJbXYtZ29vZ2xlSA RSBXdhdGNoYOnDrtnx_bCkUQw=/0/0/0/video.3gp[/video]

someone mind fixing the vid I'm limited with my phone. The vid sort of sums it up even though it says torture test.

I'd still take my glock any day of the week and twice on Sunday but I could never spend 3k plus on a gun to make it as "reliable" as the glock already is. I still like other pistols like the m&p and the h&k too just got what works for me.

Last edited:

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    It didn't take too long for this post to turn into the " My pecker is bigger than yours contest "...typical !!! All about preference !!! Keep it simple stupid !!

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    I think it's beautiful that 3k 1911s are even available if you so choose to own one.

I sure do like my Glocks for everyday carry. But the 1911 has been and will remain America's Handgun- in an M1 Garand sort of way.

This, its why i have one, im a 9mm high speed low drag kinda guy, but the 1911 is legend in these lands and it will be a long time till it truly looses its relevance in most american's mind. It is the essential american gun.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Because when you pull out a 19 at the range no one gives it a second look. Pull out a $3K semi-custom 1911 and anyone who knows anything about guns wants to check it out. Why buy a $300K Ferrari when a $70K Z06 will go just as fast? The WOW! factor.
    Actually I have a 34 and a semi-custom Ed Brown. I like the feel of the 1911. In a word "Preference"

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Because when you pull out a 19 at the range no one gives it a second look. Pull out a $3K semi-custom 1911 and anyone who knows anything about guns wants to check it out. Why buy a $300K Ferrari when a $70K Z06 will go just as fast? The WOW! factor.
    Actually I have a 34 and a semi-custom Ed Brown. I like the feel of the 1911. In a word "Preference"

You seriously listed receiving compliments from men as a reason? That is hilarious.

Top Bottom