Improvement Time Part Two---Update in post #160

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    One thing about the classified ads is the poster forgets information such as caliber, barrel lengths, or other info that is pertinent to the item they are trying to sell.
    Maybe a format for proper description, or specs. When we were allowed to post comments I would try to ask the poster/seller questions just to bring out some missing details.

Other than that, I would just like to say thanks for the forum, it has provided me a place to check out what others are doing, or share info to other forums or to bring in new people over to learn from this forum. I enjoy sharing my knowledge with folks if and when I can!

I had mentioned this before in the past, where there were selections that had to be populated before you were allowed to submit a post in a classified, such as Type (rifle/pistol/shotgun)/Make/Model/caliber/barrel length/ price. Something similar to what you have to choose from in the prefix for WTS/WTT/WTB/SOLD, but for the general specifics of the firearm you are selling. The "type" section could be used to help "sort" things in the classifieds, such as sort by type/date listed/caliber, etc.

Good idea guys. This is near the top of the "easier and more practical to do" list. Thanks for the ideas!! Keep them coming :D

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    For thread like this is there a way to compile all of the topics already covered so that people don't post the same things over and over again after you ask them to stop? Maybe a bold list in big bright letters? I'm sure y'all will still have some but it would have to help a lot lol.

Maybe compile all the ideas brought up so far and delete all of the rest of the comments. A check list of stuff to be reviewed/done for everyone to see so far so new ideas keep flowing in.

p.s. thanks for the reply :)

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Oh, and could you possibly change the color of the *New Posts* to red so it stands out more? The green and light blue doesn't contrast very well.
    I tried red initially and it looked terrible. I will play with the colors a bit more to see if I can get something to "pop".

For thread like this is there a way to compile all of the topics already covered so that people don't post the same things over and over again after you ask them to stop? Maybe a bold list in big bright letters? I'm sure y'all will still have some but it would have to help a lot lol.

Maybe compile all the ideas brought up so far and delete all of the rest of the comments. A check list of stuff to be reviewed/done for everyone to see so far so new ideas keep flowing in.

p.s. thanks for the reply :)
    This will most certainly happen. We probably won't delete all of the posts as that would be time consuming! :P Finals start for me on Monday, so I might have to let the mods handle compiling the list.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Oh, and could you possibly change the color of the *New Posts* to red so it stands out more? The green and light blue doesn't contrast very well.

Red doesn't contrast with blue too well and looked terrible. How does the mustard / yellow color look? Hex code #FFCC11

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Bring this logo back...

I can totally do that this weekend if I have time and remember to. Whenever we upgraded to the latest vBulletin version we lost the old banner and none of us had it saved. I just downloaded yours and will modify it to fit :) Thanks!!

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I can totally do that this weekend if I have time and remember to. Whenever we upgraded to the latest vBulletin version we lost the old banner and none of us had it saved. I just downloaded yours and will modify it to fit :) Thanks!!

I'll bug you about it or something. Like now. It is the weekend after all.

Oh and PS you're welcome for mentioning the new posts color.

Humbug.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I would also say comments in the classifieds, although I see your point about bumping of ads I had never noticed someone intentionally abusing this (save a few morons wondered here from LA sportsman to sell their crap). While I am sure that it did occur I have still been able to sell everything I needed to in timely matter without having the thread bumped more than once a day. I view this bumping situation a minor negative.

What I really think is a major negative is a unique part of Bayou Shooter was eliminated by removing the comments. The way it use to be may have not been the most ideal for a "true" classifieds but I think it went into a major part of the culture of this site and lets face it, it kept everyone honest.

Some of the funniest threads I have read came out of the classifieds and often involved a good amount of ribbing, usually of the OP, and no one got butthurt and everything remained civil.

If anyone needs a refresher, here are some classics that come to mind.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...Hi-Polished-380-Collectible-Pistol&highlight=
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?78365-WTS-WTT-Glock-17-19-26&highlight=glock
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...-AN-AR-**-600-round-per-minute-AR-15-for-sale

Like a said before, this is probably not the best system for a classifieds where the goal is strictly "business". Personally I come here for entertainment, knowledge, and thoughtful gun discussions not to hawk my ****.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, why are sponsors posting guns (non-personal) in the Firearms Classifieds and not the Sponsors Classifieds? You talk about bumping of ads but one sponsor posting multiple ads in a day has a far greater impact on visibility to other ads than one thread being bumped.
    Yes...I do miss the comments. The classified was the very best section of BS. Those three threads are funny.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    As far as the "like button" I'd just like to say I'm a member of a another forum with an epic crap ton more members than this one and they have it. And there has never been a complaint and everyone uses it. They did change it from "like" to "thank" to keep it less gay sounding. And it is available for every post in every thread. It seems to work well.

As far as comments in the classifieds I could care less except for the occasional $600 G19 it would be nice to post something sarcastic.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    As far as comments in the classifieds I could care less except for the occasional $600 G19 it would be nice to post something sarcastic.

........and there it is in a nutshell. This is the real reason everyone wants comments back. They miss being able to **** in someones thread if they don't like the price. Sounds great to me! Bring the comments back! Bring back the circus! Release the clowns!

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    First of all I agree with everyone else, I liked it better when there were comment in the classified section, it is just boring without them.

As to those worried about extra bumps, I think part of the problem is volume / churn rate, even with the current system an ad can drop down the 3rd or 4th page within 24 hours. I can't help wondering if this problem could partly be solved by splitting the firearms into long gun and hand gun sections. I know personally when I am shopping for one I am rarely shopping for the other, and on those rare occasions where I might be I can look in both forums.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    ........and there it is in a nutshell. This is the real reason everyone wants comments back. They miss being able to **** in someones thread if they don't like the price. Sounds great to me! Bring the comments back! Bring back the circus! Release the clowns!

I liked it for the fact that you could post an "I'll take it", or see that someone else had spoken for it instead of having to send a PM. It also allowed for you to gauge the interest in something if you had something similar that you may be on the fence about selling. Heck, I even have purchased items that were offered up as a trade for something after the original poster had said no thanks to it. Some people may just want to "bring back the circus", but not everyone. I remember before replies were not allowed, posters who were a little more savvy as to how to use the forum options would post their ad and then lock it, unlock to bump and relock it. Would it be a problem to have a mandatory field that needs to be checked "allow replies" or "no replies allowed" and If one were to check the box to allow replies, have it to where it could not be "bumped" except for once per calendar day whether it be an actual OP bump or a reply that happens after the 24 hr timeframe? I have no idea as to the options that are available in the forum software and what the limitations are to it, but I know that the forum limits you to one search per 30 seconds so there must be some type of time restriction?

MotorBoy

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Youngsville
    The one thing I would like changed is being able to sell guns without pictures.I understand your point, but I have no camera, Oh and while your at it how about letting us delete your own posts..

Last edited:

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Thats what you call it but I say it was a way for the thread to "mod" its self.Most of the ppl that did not want comments anymore where the ones posting mockable sales threads and got butthurt.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    I have a way that we could have comments in any thread and keep it civil.Only allow premium members to post comments.That way it would allow the thread to mod itself(Through the P-members)and then the real mods would only be watching the small amount of commenters (P-members only).If you threaten a freeloader or a lower paying member(Like my self) with banning it has no real weight. Now threaten a P-member and they will have more to lose and heed warnings and fourm rules better.

- - - Updated - - -

I would become a premium member if it was like this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom